Oldhammer Legacy Crew 2015 - Spot Colour Vote

The Space Pirate spot colour should be...?

• Royal blue

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sky blue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Bright green

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Lime green

• Lemon yellow

• Golden Yellow

• Orange

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Red

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Purple

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Lilac

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

axiom

Who tells a space pirate what he can and can't wear? No-one - that's who. You want to wear blue and white striped trousers? Fine. You'd like a green coat embroidered with delicate flowers and birds? OK. You want to wear a leather waistcoat and nothing else? Suit yourself!

But how are these scurvy reprobates going to work out who's on their side in the heat of ship to ship action? By wearing the Captain's colours, that's how! Simply accessorise your natty space pirating outfit with a bandana, sash or belt of the correct colour, and your fellow space rats won't put an autogun shell through your noggin by mistake.

But which colour should that all important accessory be?

I'm thinking a bright colour...

A nice Royal blue obviously, just because they're pirates doesn't mean they're savages so a nice blue to show a bit of sophistication, plus as any ork knows it's a lucky colour favoured by the gods that will lead to lots of good plunder ;)

Aiteal

Turquoise! Like the caribbean gas nebula.
A vast nebula situated in the middle of interstellar trading routes filled with an as yet unrecorded number of star systems.
The perfect hiding place for hit and run space reavers.

ardyer

roebeast45":2ftg98ay said:
Purple. Decadent, expensive, and mysterious. Like Prince.

I agree, purple seems like a color worn by a pirate that would say
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."

cheetor

Virtual astro-nautical fistbumps with Aiteal, TURQUOISE is the only sane choice of colour to be a crawlin' from this bunghole.

Aiteal

cheetor":k4budim6 said:
Virtual astro-nautical fistbumps with Aiteal, TURQUOISE is the only sane choice of colour to be a crawlin' from this bunghole.

arrrrrr, right ye be!
tumblr_lvnf2zS3Xc1qjhjdwo3_r1_500.gif

symphonicpoet

Going against theme here . . . how about a pattern? Something bold and easy to parse, like black and white stripes, say. Makes it bloody obvious it's no coincidence and allows for a great deal of variation and personalization, depending on freehand skill. But anything reasonably crisp and bold would do. Could even be something as simple as white with a large colored dot on the forehead. This is from a family funeral, which isn't exactly the correct spirit, but it conveys the idea. You can even tell relationship to the deceased from the color of the dots, if you know how to read that. (And if they're large enough for color to come across effectively.) A similar technique could serve to distinguish rank in our band. (Black dot=cap'n, red=first mate, green=master or some such.) Though truth be told, unless it's a full on pirate fleet the crew will be small enough that such devices wouldn't be necessary. Still, just a thought.

Also: armbands or sashes would be equally effective and wouldn't interfere with piratical headgear, but I don't have a picture of that.

IMG_3189.jpg

I vote for stripes in two colors, but I like stripes.

axiom

Patterns are a good idea, but in all honesty I don't want to put people off by insisting they paint something tricky. A block colour is much easier to handle across a range of painting skill levels :)

symphonicpoet

Fair answer. I just figured stripes might satisfy both "pattern" and "simple." Maybe a possible answer would be spot color or stripes of spot color alternating with neutral/complementary/contrasting color. Not sure why I like stripes so much. Sorry.

cheetor

symphonicpoet":wbfzogil said:
Fair answer. I just figured stripes might satisfy both "pattern" and "simple." Maybe a possible answer would be spot color or stripes of spot color alternating with neutral/complementary/contrasting color. Not sure why I like stripes so much. Sorry.

There is nothing to stop you from introducing whatever colour is chosen as a stripe or spot or paisley or whatever on your contribution anyway symphonic poet :)

Chico

Heh battle of Red vs Turquoise, I hope Turquoise doesn't win I'd have to buy another bloody paint then ugh! heh

My wife found a box at a boot sale the other week which had in it, amongst other things, a pot of Hawk Turquoise - so that got my vote :grin: clearly the universe wills it ;)

axiom

Chico":59b0nslz said:
Heh battle of Red vs Turquoise, I hope Turquoise doesn't win I'd have to buy another bloody paint then ugh! heh

No issue Chico - mix up a light blue and add a dash of green ;)

Back