[BOYL15] Oldbowl 2015 -Almost Full

Chico

Oldbowl 2015

Oldbowl 2015 will be a Swiss Style Blood Bowl Tournament (Yes boo hiss) spread over the 3 days, being Swiss there will be no knock outs so you will guaranteed to play a set number of games depending on the number of people choosing to join in.

Rule set will be LRB5 and can downloaded legally for free via http://www.bloodbowlonline.com/LivingRulebook5.pdf

Other then being LRB5, you may add one of the following extras to your team for a single game:

Non-Big Guy Star Player (May have a Secret Weapon)
Team Wizard
Apothacary & 2 Bloodweiser Babes

Comments Welcome and blessed be by Nuffle,

- Chico

Those entered:

1: Matthew Dunn - Orcs - Star Player
2: Golfag1 - Amazons -
3: Richard Legg - Wee Hobitsies - Wizard
4: Mr Fimm - Dark Elves - Apoc + Bloodweiser Babes
5: Skarsnik & Old Lead - Humans - Wizard
6: Ryan McKnight - Necro - Star Player
7: Chris Drake- Orcs - Star Player
8: Bane - Orcs - Star Player
9: Ashley Rogers - Orcs
10: Paul Ede - Undead
11: Axiom - Necro - Star Players

axiom

Re: [BOYL15] Oldbowl 2015

I think I'm in agreement...CRP would be better if we're not going retro. I wonder if a tournament is viable given the potential scheduling headaches and guaranteed likelihood of lengthy Oldhammer games. I managed 2 games in a day last year...and that was tight! A Blood Bowl game is 2.5-3 hours, so 2 games is pretty much a full day.

I'm interested of course, but wonder if it might be more practical to have everyone play one game; with a winner determined by combined TD and Casualty. Just some thoughts :)

Leromides

I'm happy to use CRP but what about having time limits on turns? It might make it possible to fit in more games and it can certainly make them entertainingly frenetic.

Chico

LRP5 in my opinion is the top of the food chain when it comes to rules sets for BB (Plus its what I play and I'm running everything hehe ;) ) I much rather play and run something I enjoy then jumping rulesets to one I don't enjoy as much not so fluid and make it feel like a chore.

2 Hours plus hours a game? wow you guys play slow, I just played 3 games in 4 hours tonight at my local club.

Anyway It will be spread over 3 days and nights (Pub Blood Bowl) and depending how many are interested its not that many games (4 maybe 5 at a push).

Mister Rab

I can't make it this year, so how it's run won't affect me. However, I would say that the NAF (and GW when they used to run the GT) tourneys are LRB5 and allow two hours per game, with three games per day for a two day tournament. I've been to a few and it worked perfectly.

Skarsnik

Chico":sldcc8ls said:
LRP5 in my opinion is the top of the food chain when it comes to rules sets for BB (Plus its what I play and I'm running everything hehe ;) ) I much rather play and run something I enjoy then jumping rulesets to one I don't enjoy as much not so fluid and make it feel like a chore.

Aren't the actual rules for playing the game exactly the same between LRB5 and CRP? I thought the only thing they tweaked was to improve the balance of some of the team rosters?

But I guess if you enjoy LRB5 so much more then I must be missing some big changes (I normally am :razz: ). Any chance of a summary of them so I can decide whether I should start work on a new team? :)

Skarsnik

Mister Rab":hfgm1ey2 said:
I can't make it this year, so how it's run won't affect me. However, I would say that the NAF (and GW when they used to run the GT) tourneys are LRB5 and allow two hours per game, with three games per day for a two day tournament. I've been to a few and it worked perfectly.

Actually NAF tournaments use CRP, not LRB5

Chico

The biggest changes are the adding/allowing of Chaos Pact, Slann and Underworld teams and Team Costs changed for a half dozen or so players, plus a change to a few skills.

I'm sure there's a couple of other changes too but if I'm honest other then watching others play it and then moaning about it I'm very limited in the rules set 9Having played it once with woodies).

This forum has got far too moany at times peoples, no one moaned/questioned last year when I used Necromunda 2.0 rules instead of Community Edition for my Judge Dredd game and there wern't even any free toys for that one lol.

Now be happy this isn't a forced game, play or don't play but lets all just enjoy the many many beers :)

Chico

Skarsnik & Old Lead":3gjplvgl said:
When did asking questions about a game that someone is running become moaning?

Simple mate, the way the question is asked in this case your question came across as rather snarky I'm afraid.

But I guess if you enjoy LRB5 so much more then I must be missing some big changes (I normally am :razz: ). Any chance of a summary of them so I can decide whether I should start work on a new team?

This read as '' you don't know what your talking about and I know better''.

If you didn't mean it that way then all is good, it's not the first time I wrong heh just ask the wife.

Skarsnik

I really didn't mean it that way. It's just so many years since I played LRB5, that I can't remember what the differences are.

Well, I for one will not be playing any. I love the idea of BB but the game is SO dull and takes ages! I dont know how you get through 3 game sin that many hours chico, games I play all take over 2 hours!

NOW THATS WHAT YOU CALL A MOAN!

However, to inject a little positivity, I have a custom board that I am happy to donate, plus moulds for balls, markers and dice. SO if anyone wants custom dice, markers or balls let me know!

Leromides

Well I don't mind which edition we use since in my experience wargames rules for games at shows are much like languages. Take French for example. You can argue about whether we should speak modern french or medieval but there will still be guys like me asking for dos cerveza por favor. As long as there's the opportunity to field a team of halflings with childishly crude names for each player I will be happy. They are almost certainly all going to get horribly mangled so the exact rules mechanism of how that happens isn't really important.

axiom

@ramshackle_curtis - you've clearly been playing the wrong form of Blood Bowl mate ;) I find it to be the most entertaining and fast paced game I've played - I certainly enjoy it more than any other GW game :razz:

@Chico - 3 games in 4 hours is insanely fast! At the various tournaments I've been to, and at my league, 2 hours is the minimum, and I consider myself a pretty fast player (unless it's all going horribly wrong!).

But gaming over beer is certainly a fine idea :)

Chico

It's all good Mr Snicks

Didn't thing 3 games in 4 is that quick, it's stand alone starting teams so not that many skills to remember compared to league games. But I do think what made them fast is the ruling (If you can call it that) to play fun so lots of risky actions so therefore turnovers and no sitting in the endzone caging the ball ect which bogs a game down as you spend alot of time working out how to bush open the cage and end up dull.

The Weekend has 27 Gaming hours at Foundry and another couple (Or more) at the pub,should be plenty to play 4 or 5 BB games and fit in all the other games. Not sure we'll get more then 4/5 people (Not including myself) interested as well to be honest.

Chico

ramshackle_curtis":moumdj7o said:
However, to inject a little positivity, I have a custom board that I am happy to donate, plus moulds for balls, markers and dice. SO if anyone wants custom dice, markers or balls let me know!

Yes pllllllllllllllllease! :grin:

I will get some packs of dice, balls and markers cast up then. I am happy to post for the cost of postage or keep until the day. I also have 2 teams which I am willing to bring or sell, an orc team made from plastic first editon space orcs and a wood elf team made from my own mutant plants.

Chico

That's great RCI'd love a set of Dice/Tokens/balls, do you have any pictures?

A set would also make a nice giveaway prize to the most sporting player (Voted by all the players) to help negate the tournyment feel to boot :)

Back