Avenging Knights - a sweet haul

Picked up a job lot of models off Ebay for a really good price and the best of the bunch was this little lot.

proxy

Suffice to say, I'm very chuffed considering I could only see 8 knights among all the bits in the rather small Ebay photo.

Yes, I am gloating. :grin:

Orlygg

What a haul... Certainly one of the best I have ever seen. Well done sir! Of course, next you have to paint them all!

Just John":2s7jkmfk said:
And so you should - I don't know how I missed that auction :(

They were in a junk lot and I could make out about 8 knights amongst all the rammage in the listing pic. Some other nice bits and bobs in there too but these guys were just the nuts. :)

ardyer

What are you searching to find lots like that? The only ones I ever see a piles of half assembled plastics from starter sets.

ardyer":qblw77n1 said:
What are you searching to find lots like that? The only ones I ever see a piles of half assembled plastics from starter sets.

I was looking for bloodletters and found the junk lot being sold by the same guy. Not sure I'd have stumbled across it otherwise. I was really surprised that I won the auction for such a low price (£19) but then again perhaps the listing and photo didn't do the lot justice. Once everything is cleaned up I'll sell off the spare command models, the damaged pieces and perhaps a couple of the other knights (I think I could live with a unit of 30 models). ;)

In fact my bag of duplicates and spares has grown a little recently so I'll be posting some odds and ends up for sale sometime.

Thantsants

I know a particular oldhammerer who's using these knights as Dark Elf spearmen who's going to be a little green with envy!

Good haul - those junk lots you happen upon are the most satisfying :mrgreen:

Thantsants":3ba0ozj7 said:
I know a particular oldhammerer who's using these knights as Dark Elf spearmen who's going to be a little green with envy!

Good haul - those junk lots you happen upon are the most satisfying :mrgreen:

It's been at least 10 years since the last bargain haul of goodies I picked up! I mentioned it on my blog and I reckon I was well over due a good find after many years of paying the going rate for most things.

I just have to try and avoid painting any right now as I really want to keep adding to my Bretonnians and not get side tracked.

bug16

stone cold lead":3cb1paqq said:
I was really surprised that I won the auction for such a low price (£19)

19 quid?! :o Very well done getting that lot for £19! I do love a good ebay bargain inbetween the mountains of overpriced buy it now auctions. (Yes I am buttering you up for first dibs on any spare models! :grin: )

Just John

Like vultures to a fresh kill hordes of plumbum colligerius begin to circle the pile of freshly delivered lead

Erny

Man, I was chuffed to get 8 for 8 quid recently. Thats an awesome haul of lead men. How big is your red redemption unit to pit against them?

Erny":c4rknny3 said:
Man, I was chuffed to get 8 for 8 quid recently. Thats an awesome haul of lead men. How big is your red redemption unit to pit against them?

A measly 10 figures although 5 of the 6 troopers are clearly recasts (wish I hadn't sold the 'spare' troopers back in the day, especially as I can't help but wonder how many of those might have been kosher castings! - I didn't notice back then that some were recasts).

Erny

Thats why I love minis caked in paint. Few re-casters would go to that much effort to disguise there pirating.

Your redemption is going to be running scared of their arch enemies now.

fuljason

I would love to see a photo or two of the recasts compared to an original miniature as I have always thought they were a bit of an urban legend perpetuated by some of the young 'uns on Dakka Dakka. Photo evidence is lacking.
J

ardyer

fuljason":a615o35i said:
I would love to see a photo or two of the recasts compared to an original miniature as I have always thought they were a bit of an urban legend perpetuated by some of the young 'uns on Dakka Dakka. Photo evidence is lacking.
J

There is a thread on Warseer titled (something to the effect of) "Oh my god! That can't be right. Ebay auctions" that has a link to a witch elf auction that were clearly recasts, and clearly very, very poor recasts...as in they were in the general shape of 4th ed. witch elves but that was about it.

I think the problem is that a good recast would be nearly imperceptible and a bad recast is so obvious it is a joke.

That said, our own Bug16's blog has an article about some forgeworld recasts he'd received.

Back