Re: Genestealers - hybrids on disks 25/02/18

I bought a collection of genestealer stuff as a job lot over a year ago and, seeing as im in a bit of a Bob Olley phase at the moment, I feel it is time to do something with them. I have a lot of raw material, enough for three covens eventually. At the moment I dont plan to make too many brood brothers or anything, rather I will make probably 3 skirmish type forces based on a coven and a few hangers on. But all that may change if I get carried away.

For a long while I did not have any good arm options for the hybrids, but recently I got hold of some RT imperial guard arms, which work out pretty well. I have lots of weapons from Heresy gangers and a few RT plastics and odds and ends.

Here is what I have thrown together so far

Although a conversion beamer is not included in the heavy weapons chart in the Compilation, it d*** well ought to be, because its a classic weapon. so the first thing I did was make up a third/fourth generation hybrid with said weapon.

A first generation hybrid. I rolled up 4 arms but discovered that none of the metal hybrids have two claws. So I had a go at improvising something. Not 100% convinced. Might switch him to a 3 armed variant.

A fourth generation psycker. At the moment he has a pipe in 1 hand and is gesturing with the other. But maybe I will give him a pistol instead.

A third generation hybrid with bionic arm and chaos weapon. Again, umming and ahing about giving him a pistol, but I quite like the gesticulating hands.

The patriarch is looking a bit fishy:

Thought I'd use this sorcerer to represent a magus with a few chaos rewards. Good idea?

Here is an idea for a mutant brood brother. Have lots of those eyestalks so I could make a few.

Was thinking about using these Heresy gangers for human sidekicks. They are a bit more realisticall scaled but maybe that is not so bad since it makes the hybrids look more alien with their massive mekon heads.

Any suggestions would be welcome, because I am having a lot of indecision with these guys.

Suber

Re: Assembling the genestealer cult - no paint yet

What can I say, I pretty much like what I see. The Patriarch will be a thing to see for sure! I may have some reservations on the sorcerer, but it may work, I will be keeping an eye on this ;)

"Get away from her you BITCH!" ;)

Looking forward to seeing you paint em up, who doesn't love a 'stealer cult?

Thanks for the comments Suber and Count Von Bruno. I think I will switch the sorcerer for an official magus mini. The look of the hybrid miniatures is quite a lot different to chaos stuff, so maybe it is a bit too much of a stretch. Now I am thinking that focussing more on exotic weapons and stuff may be the way to go rather than chaos trapppings.

Great start so far looking forward to seeing them painted, the patriarch looks very cool 8-) TBH I quite like the idea of the chaos sorcerer as a Magus with chaos rewards, back in the day the Genestealer cult was always more chaosy than I tend to rememeber, i was looking back recently at some RT hybrid cults and was surprised to see RoC beastmen in the mix so I think the Sorcereer should fit in well.

Yeah I rather like the Chaos flavour for a Stealer cult, my brood brothers are the plastic Chaos cultists and I have Beastmen in there too.

After a mere 4 months, I have finally finished prepping and priming the first batch

I have converted up a slightly battered Lord of Change. Also I have recruited some Heresy hellbeasts to be chaos hounds. I have decided I will definately go with a squad of mutants with the eyestalks. But still not sure what t use for brood brothers.

Today I started painting up a test purestrain to figure out a colour scheme. So slow progress. I hope to get the cult finished before the end of 2015 :)

Once I finish this coven i plan to be a bit more ambitious with the next one. I will have the hybrids on disks and the patriarch enthroned on some kind of flying saucer thing. Well thats my latest idea anyway...

Good on you weis, it's going to look unique.

Funnily enough, I've just been doing some work on my own Cult that is also going to have a Chaos flavour to it- I'm using modern Chaos Cultists ( booster pack of 5 that compliment the Dark Vengeance guys) as Brood Brothers, mostly cause I don't want to go through the hassle of collecting OOP Imperial Army men etc.

mbh

ahhhhhhhhjj

That eyeball guy is perfect.

Thanks for the comments folks. The last few months i seem to be generally slow with everything but now i am getting a bit of enthusiasm for painting these. Might have a few finished minis to show soon.

i'm intrigued. these are very chaosy. this is a Good Thing. looking forward to seeing the next set of photos.

Re: Assembling the genestealer cult - 1 genestealer painted

I have a bit of an eccentric way of painting so not sure if this fecipie is very useful, but it was something like this.

Light grey/white zenithal priming. MP imperial purple mixed with a little Valejo flat fleshtone for the purple bits. MP mid blue mixed with a little Vallejo deep sky blue for the caraopace. Several thin layers for the basecoats. The face is various combinations of purple and lighter fleshtone, I painted the whole face first with retarder medium then mixed the colours on the fae until i was happy. Washed lightly with coloured ink. Blacklined a little with thin black ink. Highlight the purple adding Vallejo "magenta fluo". Highlights on the blue adding deep sky blue and then adding some white, blending carefully and adding glaze of the base colour. This gives a shiny look whilst still looking natural lighting. I did the claws quite badly, need to figre out a better way to do them. The final step is to take crap photos.

Asslessman

Re: Assembling the genestealer cult - eyeball mutant painted

Just got my fix of retro sci-fi, thanks a lot !

they look splendid, can't wait to see the alien-stealer

axiom

Very cute! Do all of his appendages end with eyeballs?!

Thanks folks. Not much progress today. I sat down to work on hybrids but ended up making an imperial guard orderly instead. Fishstealer patriarch will get some paint soon hopefully. Might start him tomorrow. I think i need some more colour variation c.f. the test purestrain. maybe some greys and turquoise in the carapace colour...

axiom":1u4ghqyr said:
Do all of his appendages end with eyeballs?!
:lol:

Back