D&D ADVENTURE! THE TEMPLE OF PIETER ONNE-DRAY

Asslessman

Just to be clear, I'm good with manhugs and kissing bearded blokes on the cheeks and all like any other guy but even if it were to restore me to full healh with extra buffs for 20 turns times, you are NOT getting that stave anywhere near my backtrap, you hear me ?
I mean it. I don't care how much good it did to the priestess but seriously NO.

Oh don't look at me that way.

I said no.

No, don't "pleeeeease" me, I said no.

weazil

Asslessman":3oxsolm3 said:
Just to be clear, I'm good with manhugs and kissing bearded blokes on the cheeks and all like any other guy but even if it were to restore me to full healh with extra buffs for 20 turns times, you are NOT getting that stave anywhere near my backtrap, you hear me ?
I mean it. I don't care how much good it did to the priestess but seriously NO.

Oh don't look at me that way.

I said no.

No, don't "pleeeeease" me, I said no.
Well, assuming it doesn't have power word kill in it, it might actually be the suppository of glorious resurrection. Think of it as 'taking it for the team...' ;)

Asslessman

I think fro mnow on I better shut my mouth if I don't want the Captain to go in a naughty and most unpleasant way. There's a saying in french which says "don't give the stick to be beaten with" :grin:

Yngwie struggled with Robin to get the stricken snakeman to his... tail. Hisston hung between the two companions, deadweight and unconscious. "Wake up dammit," grunted the elf, knowing full well how futile any resistance would be. As much as he hated to admit it, Hisston was probably their only hope of getting out of this situation alive... though would it only be prolonging the inevitable?

Bari stepped up to where Seu was facing the waiting snakeman. "I hope you know what you're doing man," the cleric said, before muttering a quick prayer and patting the paladin's shield arm, restoring feeling and strength to it.

Bari casts 'Cure Light Wounds' on Seu, restoring 8 HP.

Seu's HP 16/45

Seu flexed his hand and prayed to the Lady for guidance. The arrows of the snakemen were poised and ready to loose at any moment. His friends were at the mercy of evil, with only his shield of faith between them, and death. He had to try...

The giant snakeman slithered forward. "TIME TO DANCE, INFERIOR CREATURE". He gave his halberd a few experimental swings, spinning it around, displaying the exceptional balance of the blade and the skill of it's wielder. Seu raised the Mirror Shield and readied Flamebrand.

Seu had been trained as a warrior since he was strong enough to raise a blade, and had learnt to read a man's actions by the movements of his body. 'The hips never lie' his swordmaster had always said, and it was true - but snakemen had no hips! Their movements were utterly alien, one second, slow and ponderous, the next striking with lightning speed. It was almost impossible to read his opponent... almost.

The combatants circled warily, the snakeman's tail twitched, his tongue flicking in and out, as if it could somehow taste from which direction the paladin would strike...

Seu forgot about his aching body and the trauma he had been through. All that existed was the blade in his hand and the shield at his side. He remembered the words his friend Robin had said... "don't use warm-blooded moves against them!". Very well then - time to invent some new moves!

Seu remained still as a leaf lying upon a warm stone... but was it a leaf? Calmness radiated from his being, a serenity that mingled with his aura of holiness. The snakeman tensed with anticipation - and that was the moment! Seu struck with sudden speed, cleaving into the breastplate of the snakeman with his burning blade, causing him to rear his head back in outraged pain. Seu's second strike opened up a gash in the creature's long, sinuous neck - the beast narrowed his golden snake-eyes in anger and readied his halberd for the return attack. Not waiting for a break, the polearm swung down, dealing a glancing blow to the paladin that nevertheless almost toppled him with it's force. The blade was unable to penetrate the paladin's stout plate, but the crushing power of the strike made him wince. The snakeman tried for another strike, this time thrusting the tip of his giant blade forward, but it was an attack the paladin easily avoided.

Round 1
Seu attacks a Yuan-Ti Lord with Flamebrand +1, dealing 9 damage!
Seu attacks a Yuan-Ti Lord with Flamebrand +1, dealing 6 damage!

Yuan-Ti Lord attacks Seu with a halberd, dealing 6 damage!
Yuan-Ti Lord attacks Seu with a halberd. He misses.

Seu's HP 10/45

In this battle I will be factoring weapon speeds into the initiative roll due to it being a more 'personal' affair. A halberd is a heavy weapon compared to a magical longsword, which has additional speed reduction equal to it's basic magical enhancement of +1. This gives Seu an advantage of speed... and not much else! Good luck paladin...

The opponents broke up to resume their deadly circling, each wary that the other was a force to be reckoned with. Seu had bloodied the nose of his giant adversary, but his own body was battered almost beyond endurance, and the fight had only just begun...

Asslessman

Some say Battle is the real sanctuary for true paladins. They all crave the peace of the Lady of the Lake and the quietness of prayer... but somehow the only place where they feel right is facing an opponent with a weapon in hand. Only in the most dire situations do paladins feel none can be worse and that their actions can make things right.

Such was the situation in which Seu Antheus, son Of Roland Antheus, heir to Wyrmrock Castle was at that very moment. An evil opponent asking for an honorable combat, his friends to protect, it was almost ike the lady had traced a golden path ahead of him. And Seu knew better than to disapoint the Lady of the Lake. He would make every step it took...

The streams of light that were falling from the broken ceiling were his only allies for now, they were the Lady's blessing...and they could very well be his opponent 's undoing.

"A dance without music is just as sad as a maiden's face without a smile, don't you think Master Yngwie?"

Seu is going to move to a place where he can use the sun rays to his benefit with the shield's mirror in order to either blind him or at least disadvantage him.

EDIT : Oh and he casts his last"Smite evil" on th eguy in fornt of him naturally !

It's 12 snakemen crossbows and a guard to freedom, I got 22% of my HPs, a flaming sword, it's almost dark... and I'm wearing a mirror shield.

Hit it.

As Seu engaged yet another monstrous enemy in mortal combat, Rambulge used the opportunity to get to his feet and gain a bit of composure.
He fell back to stand with the others, watching the two combatants with all too familiar dread in the pit of his stomach.
If only he hadn't had to use the lightning scroll to slay the Mother...oh, mother!

Asslessman

Rambulge did not know it yet and couldn't even start to think about such concepts but in the future, bards and poets would sing the rhyme of Rambulge the mothercrusher.
The Lais of the Quest for the Abbott's cheese would not tell how he earned that title but noone woul dever doubt such a renowned Spellsword earned it with valour.

Penddraig

Robin supported the injured lizard man, willing him to awaken; seeing the brave paladin in single combat lifted his heart and a fully rested Seu was certainly a match for this creature.

But he wasn't fully rested.

His burnt and battered armour, dents and clefts wide enough to allow a blade to slip through. Only the bright shield shone in the light of his firey blade and the few shafts of light from the ruined ceiling. Robin fingered his bow but kept his hand away from his quiver of arrows - the snake men had the drop on them with their prepared bows and Robin was not prepared to risk the others lives.

One thing nagged him though. Where was Bufo? Surely by now with this noise, his curiousity would have been picqued and he would have come to investigate?

weazil

Bari watched as the two combatants circled each other. It was impressive that the bowmen (bowsnakes?) had not flinched - their bow strings were still taut. "Pity," he mumbled, trying to think of ways out of the situation.

He positioned himself near the fight, ready to assist in any way. Unconsciously, he started throwing punches and dodging as Seu moved. Nothing large, just slight empathic moves. "Hit him again, Seu!" he cried, all of a sudden. "He's open on the left!" Suddenly, all manner of advice was flowing from Bari, his sudden expertise in combat no doubt supplied directly from Jordann and a long history of coleslaw wrestling deep under the initiation chambers of her temple.

In truth, he was glad Seu was the one fighting. All he had to do was keep him alive and eventually, he'd prevail, right?

In between spurts of advice, Bari whispered prayers to Jordann. He'd need something sticky...

At the earliest opportunity, Bari will cast Aid on Seu.

Asslessman

don%20king.jpg

Bari was concerned. Seu was brave, and the holy power of the Lady was radiating from his body, but he was in bad shape - time for a little pep-talk and some of Jordann's aid. Lamenting the lack of a three-legged stool to slam down in their corner, Bari ushered Seu to him with a not-so-subtle 'psst!'

Yngwie murmered something to Robin about needing his hands back, and helped the Ranger lower the snakeman to the floor. Swinging his guitar around, he began fiddling with some dials and pressing buttons - what was the elf planning?

Robin knelt over the prone form of Hisston, giving him a couple of sharp slaps across his cheeks, but he couldn't seem to stir the snakeman from his stupor. Rambulge shuffled over, sort of standing protectively over his friends, but also sort of trying to hide behind them at the same time. Eggbert remained oddly silent.

Yngwie was behaving strangely, stomping his feet, and even clapped a couple of times, continually going back and fiddling with the knobs on his guitar.

Seu, not taking his eyes off his opponent, backed up to where Bari was standing, making subtle 'come hither' gestures. "What is it Bari? I'm trying to fight the good fight here!"

"Listen man," Bari prepared to deliver his magnum opus of pep-talks, "you gotta focus up, you gotta use your mind, see, you got a mind, and he got a mind, and you gotta USE your mind, to resolve all those difficulties that you'll be beleaguered with, because you are beautiful, you are smart, you got a beautiful brain, I can see it jumping in there... I love you man..."

"Uhmm, thanks?"

"No problems. Oh, and Seu? Take this sticky thing, with Jordann's blessing." Without waiting, Bari stuffed his 'special aid' cloth into a gap in Seu's battered armour. "Bless you man..."

Seu shuddered as the gross thing made contact with his skin and sent a thrill of Jordann's distinctive form of love through him. He REALLY needed to get his armour reshaped in... places.

Bari grabbed the paladin's shoulders and gave them a quick massage (as best he could through armoured layers) and sent him back into the melee slightly better off than he had been...

Bari uses Aid on Seu. Seu gains 7 HP and +1 to Hit and save throws for 6 rounds

Seu's HP 17/45

Seu rolled his shoulders and swung his blade too and fro - he felt a lot better with Bari's aid, despite the less-than-palatable delivery system. His opponent was eyeing him with the giant snake version of suspicion, and readied his halberd for the next attack.

"Okay, let's try something a bit different," came Yngwie's sudden announcement, and he pressed a button on his guitar. The sudden sound of stomping and clapping filled the air in a rhythmic, almost tribal fashion, multiplied several times over by some kind of repeater/overlay function built into the mystic musical weapon. Yngwie began to sing...

The two combatants circled grimly, neither wanting to make the first move. The giant snakeman offered a fake jab with the tip of his polearm, but Seu was wiser than that and didn't react. The words of his companion, strange though they had seemed, began to resonate with the paladin. "you got a mind... USE your mind... you're beautiful..." Seu glanced briefly at the beams of weak light streaming from the roof. Somewhere out there, the sun was shining on an unfamiliar world. Would they live to see it? Without seeming to alter his stance or change his pattern of defensive maneuvering, Seu began to angle his way towards the nearest patch of light. Yngwie's song was filling him with renewed vigour, inspiring him with it's raw, unrelenting style. He reached the spot of light, and, keeping his shield facing low, mentally prepared his beautiful brain. The time was close!

Several of the snakemen archers began nodding their heads in time with The Music, but kept their bows trained upon the party of heroes.

The huge snakeman, tiring of this game of cat and mouse, and wary of the effect The Music was having on his opponent, looked for his chance. The paladin seemed distracted by something, for a brief moment his eyes seemed to stray to the ceiling and the crack of light that peeked through high above. With inhuman speed and strength the snakeman lashed out with his polearm, but a sudden flash of piercing light beamed into his eyes off the surface of the Paladin's shield, dazzling his eyes in the low light of the chamber - for a critical moment, he couldn't see! His blow swung wide as the paladin darted aside and called out to the Lady to smite this creature with her holy retribution. Flamebrand burned white with righteous power. Seu brought the flaming blade slicing down on the monster's forearm, piercing the vambrace of it's armour and biting deep through scale and flesh. The snakeman roared his anger and struck again, but the paladin ducked low under his blow and danced backwards, out of reach.

Combat round 2

Yngwie sings an inspirational song (+1 to hit)

Seu attacks Yuan-Ti lord with Flamebrand +1 (Holy Smite) dealing 14 damage.

Due to the initiative modifiers in place for weapon speed, Seu and the Yuan-Ti performed simultaneous attacks.
Even without your mirror trick (or maybe because of it), this snakeman rolled terribly this round (like, a 4 and 2 to hit :s). It seems that your 'mind over matter' theory is permeating the meta-game JB!

The Yuan-Ti made some space between himself and the paladin, to regather his composure. The paladin had scored several telling wounds, but the fight was still anyone's...

Penddraig

Robin let Hisston fall to the ground. At the moment there was nothing he could do for the unconscious snake man. Standing up, he felt Yngwie's music flow through him, his heart thumped in his chest, his breathing increased. Flexing his right hand, Robin itched to reach for an arrow but now was not the time.

Seu continued to fight bravely and whatever Bari had done seemed to be helping. Perhaps the Lady had sent this light to aid them at this time?

Asslessman

Even his the most dire situations, a paladin could rely on more than steel, the Lady of the Lake had lent him his light and his companions were lending him their might.

"Wherever you have light or friends, there is hope, and wherever their is hope, lies the promise of victory..."

Those were Seu's father words but never until now had he truly got the essence of those words...

Time for a 2 attacks round for Seu :twisted:
The paladin will keep the same strategy :
- Praying
- Keeping the sun rays at reach to blind his opponent again
- hit him with his best

Thanks a lot James for aknowledging the fact that this is not all superstition. YES, the mindstate in which you are when you throw dice is crucial and YES picking the right dice is vital too. I'm living Seu's fights like I'm living my own when I'm fighting my own combats in Kendo. I can tell you this 2 combats are making me ache from everywhere but man it's good. I've been living with the idea I might have to say farewell to Seu and that I may need to roll another character but for now I want to drink every drop of this combat. ;)

Eggbert watched in horrified fascination as the two mighty warriors traded blows.

No actions for Eggbert, he dares not intervene in case the archers start shooting. Unfortunately I am a bit busy with work and things in these days so I am not sure I will be contributing much.

The Yuan-Ti lord was angry. He had looked upon the pathetic, battered creature before him and seen nothing more than an insignificant bug, ripe to be trod on (figuratively speaking; the Yuan-Ti had no feet). But this creature... it would not stop defying him. Against all expectation, he was starting to feel the battle turning against him - HIM! The Great Sire of the Yuan-Ti, the Chosen Mate of the Snakemother... he was being made a fool of by this tattered inferior. This could no longer be endured - the little man must die!

The snakeman stared down his opponent with dark, fathomless eyes, waiting for his next move, trying to determine the next trick. He kept a wary eye on the bright, reflective shield that had blinded him just now. He watched, waiting for the moment the paladin tried to catch the light again... he watched the shield... the shield... the bright, shiny shield... the-

With a roar, Seu brought his blade crashing through the Yuan-Ti's guard. Utterly stunned, the snakeman could only raise his halberd in a pathetic attempt at defending himself - and the flaming blade cleaved the haft of the polearm in two! The tip of the blade sank deep into the breastplate of the Yuan-Ti from the momentum of the blow, causing black blood to well and boil in it's wake. The monster howled in rage and pain as Seu brought his sword around for another stroke, but this time the sword was dodged by the large yet lithe creature. The Yuan-Ti threw aside his broken weapon and drew an ornate blade from a scabbard at his hip. Trying to regain some advantage, the snakeman pressed Seu with an attack, but it was a half-hearted effort at best, and the strike was easily blocked by the Mirror Shield, which bore no mark or scratch from the impact of the blade.

Combat Round 3

Yuan-Ti Lord makes a magic resistance test. He fails. Yuan-Ti lord is dazed.

Seu attacks the Yuan-Ti lord with Flamebrand +1, CRITICAL HIT! Dealing 9 damage!
Seu attacks the Yuan-Ti Lord with FLamebrand +1. He misses.

Yuan-Ti lord attacks Seu with a Khopesh. He misses.

Seu rolled a natural 20, once again making all the bonuses gained from other means somewhat irrelevant, but hey, what a result! I decided before the fight began that a roll of a 20 would break the halberd, didn't expect it to happen!

By the way, if the snakemother had rolled a natural 20 when performing a normal attack, the target would be swallowed whole... she rolled one for her tail attack, so that was close! ;)

The Yuan-Ti hissed something sharply at his watching group of archers. One of them quickly fumbled with a strap, then tossed his lord a shield. The huge Yuan-Ti hefted the shield and slammed his khopesh against it in challenge. Seu, not one to be roused so easily, hunkered down behind the mirror shield and prepared for the onslaught. The Yuan-Ti slithered forward, feinting left, then right, then darting in for a strike, which Seu easily countered. The next blow followed quickly on, but was again turned aside by the paladin's shield. Seu, seeing his chance, made a strike of his own, but his blade was similarly denied by the Yuan-Ti's shield. The fight was becoming an intense game of move and countermove, and it seemed that each had met their match in the other...

Combat Round 4

Yuan-Ti Lord attacks Seu with a Khopesh. He misses.

Seu attacks Yuan-Ti Lord with Flamebrand +1. He misses.

I can't seem to roll higher than a '7' for this 'boss level' monster... he was supposed to do a lot better than this!

Gaining a measure of respect for his opponent, the Yuan-Ti chose his next action carefully - seeking any hint, any clue from the paladin that the next blow was coming, he watched, waited - and then they both struck together!

The paladin's blade, guided by holy vengeance, shattered the snakeman's shield, and his arm with it. At the same time the Yuan-Ti smote a hefty blow upon the paladin, but found his blade turned aside by the warrior's pauldron. Seu's next hit came close to the mark but was unable to pierce the ornate armour of his opponent. The snakeman's second attack was so easy to avoid that Seu laughed in sudden, uncontrollable elation. His mighty opponent was losing the fight!

Combat Round 5

Seu attacks Yuan-Ti Lord with Flamebrand +1, CRITICAL HIT! Dealing 8 damage!

Seu attacks Yuan-Ti Lord with Flamebrand +1. He misses.

And there you have it - TWO critical hits in one round. Are you happy JB? DO you see what you have reduced my proud monster to, with your weird mind powers?? ;)

The Yuan-Ti lord gasped as his useless arm hung limp at his side, the remains of his shattered shield dangling in splinters of wood and iron. He was experiencing something he had not known since he was but a hatchling, fighting for survival with his siblings...

It was fear. He was.... afraid.

He hissed something to his assembled warriors in the Yuan-Ti tongue, words incomprehensible to the party, and yet, the meaning was clear.

KILL THEM. KILL THEM ALL!

Rambulge had been anticipating this moment, and as the archers made their move he went to unleash the spell, hoping the snakemen would be caught unawares...

Penddraig

The intent was clear; they all knew it had to end like this but Robin had hoped it wouldn't. Using some of the fallen rubble as cover, Robin reached for one of his arrows - he wasn't going to waste one of his enchanted arrows on these creatures.

well, we all knew they were going to attack didn't we? Hopefully, Robin will put some of the rubble as cover between himself and the incoming arrows; then he'll return fire with some normal arrows. At least to start with...

Eggbert saw one or two of the snakemen taking aim in his direction and decided to fall back on one of his favourite tricks.

Eggbert will cast the spell that makes six copies of himself and start moving around to distract their aim.

Asslessman

Seu's eyes were piercing the Sakeman, "how could I be so fool to believe you could have honour... and there I was thinking there was at least one creature with some moral sense in this temple..." right now, Seu was hurting more from the disapointment than from his wounds (which was quite telling). The guards would leave them no choice, Seu tried to get as close to the Snakeman as he could to make his servants frightened of shooting at their master... and he wanted the end of their fight even at his own life's cost.
Trying to get cover from his own opponent, Seu started to balance his left arm and the shield at its end to the rythm of Yngwie's tune...

Seu is running at his opponent to use him as a cover from one side an to make the guards have second thoughts of shooting if they are surrounded... He will place his shield towards the guards in his back if there are some (just so they feel dazy)

Back