Dwarfs + Gobbos + Elfs

dazza36

Re: Dwarfs Dwarfs Dwarfs + Gobbos

So the days are getting shorter and a lot greyer in good old Blighty. Which for me means a major reduction in my painting as I can't get the hang of painting with daylight bulbs. To this end all my major projects are put on hold until next year. So this is the perfect time to paint up something alternative to my dwarfs and goblins and to this end I've got my hands on a few Dark elf and Wood/High elf. Just enough to keep me going over the next few months. Anyway completed the first 2 today so thought I'd post a photo (poor picture due to poor light).

Wood Elf

Dark Elf

The wood elf was really enjoyable to paint, the Dark elf not so much. I found the dark elf too cluttered with detail which left me scratching my head as to what some of it was. Both models gave me the chance to experiment with different flesh colours. I feel the dark elf flesh ended up too blue for my taste, I was hoping for something more grey/blue. But that's the good thing about these small projects they give me the chance to try out different things which can in the long run help me with my other work.

Blue in VT

They both look great but I must say that the Wood elf looks top shelf. I've really found a fondness for the Goodwin Woodies myself...I really look forward to getting into a Wood Elf project soon.

...But since you are way more productive than me I'm going to have fun watching yours progress... 8-)

Cheers,

Blue

dazza36

Well I didn't end up taking that much of a break from my beloved Dwarfs ! just a single figure but something I really needed to paint up before the grey winter days moved in. You can see my first version on page 1 which is painted up to be a copy of the old combat card. This one was made so I could make a tutorial for anyone interested in making their own. Anyway I've painted him up in my Throng colours so that he can join the growing ranks.

For anyone interested in how he was made here's the LINK

dazza36

Finished off my wolf riders (finally). Originally I used brighter colours for the goblin rags but when I put them all together I realised it just looked wrong, so some of the older painted figures have had a small re-touch to bring the whole thing back to a much darker dirty feel. Saying that I kept the red just to break things up a bit. I've tried to give each rank the same weapon combo and base effect, spear and bow have broken pillar whereas the hand weapon rank has rusted armour, skull and shield

Group shot

Trying to show off the bases

Naagruz

That's quite the unit!
Great paint on the best Citadel wolfriders with no duplicates. Trifecta!
Nice use of the snotling hornblower. :grin:

dazza36

First off I've just realised I never posted a picture of my Throng that I've managed to get painted up so far. So here you go...

Now like many I'm forever buying more figures than I will ever really have time to paint and this normally cause's me problems with half finished units quickly forgotten by newer purchases. Which leads me to this...

It started off with a couple of wood elves, and then I got my hands on an attack chariot, and then I came across a picture of these cavalry and I knew I must have some!!! Its taken some time and patience but I've got there and more are on there way. I must say that after stripping the terrible paint job off them, they really are some amazing sculpts.

Mason

Some really inspiring stuff here.
It is all quality work, but seeing the Dwarf Throng all together with that basing is the highlight for me.
Superb!
:grin:

I sympathise with the earlier 'if only' comments.
I really wish that I had kept everything that I had in the '80's, but don't we all?

Blue in VT

No Doubt the Elf Cav is really spectacular in both style of the riders and the horses. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for them.

Cheers,

Blue

dazza36

Whilst the rest of my cavalry is soaking in a tub of Dettol, I've been trying to find inspiration for when it comes to painting them up and was just wondering if anyone had anything which might help me. Also I could do with some help with woodland bases, I'd like to do more than just sand painted brown with grass tufts. So again if anyone has some ideas please let me have them.

@Blue in VT : It amazes me how GW got horse so wrong for so long after seeing these from nearly 30 years ago !!!

dazza36

Darkblade":32ehz21e said:
I always fancied doing a wood elves army after seeing Mike McVeys army back in the day. Jaeckel did a posted the article here http://jaeckelalone.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/spring-summer-collection-wood-elves.html

Two of the first White Dwarf's I got my hands on when I got back into hobby, and I'll definitely try to recreate the banner from his cavalry unit. And don't forget WD148 in which 2 of my favourite armies Mike McVey WodElf & Wayne England Dwarf) join forces to fight an Empire army (Perry Twins).

dazza36

Its the beginning of a new year which can only mean resolution time and for me its all about the elfs. I've been spending the last few weeks scrubbing away and have finally removed all the old paint. Now all I have to do is get new paint on them. So here's a picture to show what I hope to paint this year, I know its not much but it will make my happy if I can get this all done.

Blue in VT

A very tidy looking force! How is your supply of plastic Spears for those Cav? they are the hardest things to find when you start collecting those guys.

Cheers,

Blue

dazza36

Blue in VT":18jnj8ra said:
A very tidy looking force! How is your supply of plastic Spears for those Cav? they are the hardest things to find when you start collecting those guys.

Cheers,

Blue

I've got the spears, however due to them being stuck on with vast amounts of superglue there not in the best shape. The plan is to keep as many as possible and with brass rod and greenstuff make any I need. I will also need to convert on into a standard bearer. I'll post a picture when I've finished a couple of my versions.

mbh

dazza36":3hf3lqzn said:
Whilst the rest of my cavalry is soaking in a tub of Dettol, I've been trying to find inspiration for when it comes to painting them up and was just wondering if anyone had anything which might help me. Also I could do with some help with woodland bases, I'd like to do more than just sand painted brown with grass tufts. So again if anyone has some ideas please let me have them.

@Blue in VT : It amazes me how GW got horse so wrong for so long after seeing these from nearly 30 years ago !!!

nice horses for sure but so tiny

Resist the urge to stand a rider next to a horse to compare. It's bad.

dazza36

@mbh: give me small over ugly every day LOL

@Blue in VT: Here's a quick photo to show my attempt at an elf spear compared to the original. The head is from an original spear with the shaft being brass rod and a mixture of milliput and greenstuff for the hand and grip.

Back