Remote gaming, another way, Oldhammer online!

Erny

Just thought I'd share my first tentative steps into trying to host a game on a virtual table top using top down pictures of my own minis. Here's a little shot of a few:

battle+2.jpg

We are playing tonight and we'll find out if this is a good idea or not! I hope it all works out and I'll be playing many of you all soon!

Some posts on the blog:

http://ernysplace.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/the-field-of-battle-virtual-oldhammer.html

http://ernysplace.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/so-who-wants-game-of-warhammer.html

http://ernysplace.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/oldhammer-online.html

Thantsants

Cracking game last night Erny - it worked a treat.

Almost too much of a Club atmosphere on the several occasions we got nattering too much! ;)

Not sure I'm playing terribly well to the Dwarves' strengths but we'll see if I can salvage anything when we meet again.

The game play works just like a table top game of WFB3 with a dice rolling mechanism not a million miles away from the dice log we used in the game Dreamfish hosted a while back.

phreedh

Erny, can you please give us some details on the technical side of things. What software did you use to host this? Also, what dice service?

Erny

The site I used is Roll20, there is no download of software you just log into your account and run a campaign off of it. Accounts are free but paid ones are available for extra memory and other minor perks. Your friends just log in to your campaign through their own accounts.

It is very intuitive with the ability to drag and drop images straight onto your virtual table top and resize them there. Any transparencies or effects you have to do yourself before putting them in the site.

Dice rolling is all part of the site, even 3d dice if you wish.

It really is just like a table top, no bells an whistles, or at least none that don't stay hidden to make the experience as close to using a table top across the internet as you are likely to get.

Zhu Bajie

One thing I've noticed about the virtual tabletops I've looked at is they:

* don't handle turning of groups very well - so you end up having to rotate every figure in a unit, rather than select them all.
* enforce grid-based movement.

How does Roll20 stack up on those points?

phreedh

Ahaaaa, I thought Roll20 was just an online dice thingamajig.

I foresee some faffing about this evening. My main interests are Song of Blades or other skirmish games, and 2nd edition blood bowl (for shits and giggles).

Erny

Zhu Bajie":3h0jedvc said:
One thing I've noticed about the virtual tabletops I've looked at is they:

* don't handle turning of groups very well - so you end up having to rotate every figure in a unit, rather than select them all.
* enforce grid-based movement.

How does Roll20 stack up on those points?

Turning groups is a pain, I think mainly because the people who set these up are RPGers and don't' even consider it. The people at roll 20 are actively discussing it, such as where to pivot from the center, the corner etc.

I, circumvented the problem by having a separate page, that the players couldn't see, with all the units at various angles ready to paste into the main battle field page.

The grid issue is no problem. You can turn the grid off. I made my own rulers for movement scaled by eye to the size of the miniatures bases. It all worked very well.

Erny

phreedh":1i9h3rr2 said:
Ahaaaa, I thought Roll20 was just an online dice thingamajig.

I foresee some faffing about this evening. My main interests are Song of Blades or other skirmish games, and 2nd edition blood bowl (for shits and giggles).

It would be great to get some SoBH in, no problems with turning either. Perhaps a few of us could set up a campaign even.

DaImp

phreedh":1u9tlvoj said:
and 2nd edition blood bowl (for shits and giggles).

Oooooooooh I would love to play some 2nd edition Blood Bowl. How can we make this happen? I know nothing about this Roll20 magic.

phreedh

DaImp":1w8eb26k said:
phreedh":1w8eb26k said:
and 2nd edition blood bowl (for shits and giggles).

Oooooooooh I would love to play some 2nd edition Blood Bowl. How can we make this happen? I know nothing about this Roll20 magic.

I imagine it's just a matter of scanning the pitch in, take snaps of some minis top down (and colour in the base rings all good and proper 2nd edition like) and then have a go!

I'd gladly be the comish for a 2nd edition league, as long as I get to play a team too. =D As I mentioned, I have all the rule books at hand from way back when and the boxed set as well.

Just thinking about it gives me geek wood!

Thantsants

Count me in too - ICould we email whoever is hosting the game with the pics of our teams so we culd play with our own minis?

Erny

Ang on a minute.

I suss all this out to play WH then you all bugger off without me to play blood bowl and arrange it on my thread. ;)

But seriously if you need help making the tokens let me know, I'd be happy to play blood bowl but have no ideas of the rules pre-1990s and only have later sculpts. Well a few elves and a chain saw wielding goblin from earlier but not much.

DaImp

I am right there with you :)
I have all the rulebooks too and can easily create the graphics needed.

DaImp

Sorry Erny! ;)

I would love to give WH a go too but the prospect of 2nd edition Blood Bowl has me all giddy.

Erny

Cool,

You were one of the first Oldhamerers I thought of when I cottoned on to this, stuck out as you are in the wrong hemisphere. However you are on GMT no? Making gaming via interwebz very possible with the UK or even +1 Sweeden. Hope the bloodbowl goes well but I'll hold you to the WH..

DaImp

I am GMT +2 so very much compatible with you European folks :)

I am very keen to try a WH game so keep me informed.

Also just realised that this would be perfect for a game of 2nd edition Dungeon Bowl as well!

ps: something like this would be perfect for our purposes:
pic751634_md.jpg

DaImp

create counters similar to the below travel version of BB
mini-bb-vf.jpg

I think I am hijacking this thread now... :?

weazil

Erny":465tnx2t said:
Ang on a minute.

I suss all this out to play WH then you all bugger off without me to play blood bowl and arrange it on my thread. ;)

There's just no respect anymore! What's this neighbourhood coming too, nowadays? Even a minuscule niche nerd forum dedicated to ancient gaming systems no one can even buy anymore is being hijacked by football yobs!

If you're looking to do another one of these, using the noble rules of Warhammer 3rd edition, I'd be happy to step into the breach.

DaImp

'ere we go 'ere we go 'ere we go... 'ere we go 'ere we go 'ere we GOOOOOOOOO OH....

lets go break somefin'

Back