BOYL The Engines of Avalone Siege game

I've modified some Hellcannon rukes for the asscannon - comments welcome (apologies for the dodgy formatting as a result of pasting from MS Word):

Chaos Dwarf Crew:
M WS BS S T W I A Ld Int Cl WP
3 4 3 3 4 1 2 1 9 7 9 9

Siege Cannon:
M WS BS S T W I A Ld Int Cl WP
3 4 3 5 6 5 1 5 9 9 9 9

- Attacks count as magical, armour save of 4+, causes fear 15” +1 (under 10 foot tall) or 15” (larger), large target, immune to psychology.
- The Siege Cannon constantly strives to break free of its bonds. At the beginning of your turn, if the Siege Cannon is not in combat or intending to fire, take a Leadership test. If the test is failed, the Siege Cannon moves 2D6 towards the nearest enemy unit.
- The Siege Cannon is fired exactly like a modified stone thrower (p. 107 3rd ed) with the following profile:

Range Strength/wounds Template Save mod
12"-48" 5 (D4 wounds) 1.5” radius -2

Crew loss:
Number of crew lost Effect on firing rate
1 None
2 Fires every second turn
3 Roll a D6:
1-3: the demon inside the cannon dematerializes and the cannon remains as a useless husk
2-4: see 6 on the misfire table
6: see 1 on the misfire table

The cannon is subject to “over heating” as per the mortar (p. 111 3rd ed). Should the dice roll a 6, roll a D6 on the following table:

D6 roll Result
1 The Daemon inside the Siege Cannon violently breaks its bonds. Every unit within 3D6" takes D6 Strength 5 hits. Then remove the Siege Cannon and its crew from play.
2 The Siege Cannon sucks its own crew into its furnace and spits them out in a shower of gore and bone. Remove the crew from play.
3 The Siege Cannon fires great pulses of raw magic. All Wizards within 24" must immediately pass a Leadership test or lose a randomly determined spell.
4 The enraged Daemon inside the Siege Cannon goes berserk. Remove D3 crew.
5 The Siege Cannon breaks its chains and rushes forwards. Move the Siege Cannon 3D6"directly forward.
6 The Siege Cannon fires a devastating blast. Resolve the shot as if it were a direct hit, doubling the Strength of any hit. The Siege Cannon cannot fire for the rest of the game

Erny

Just wanted to say thank you to all involved for making this the biggest and best game I have ever had the pleasure to be involved with. The whole table was a spectacle to behold. Glorious armies marched, or grimly waited and fought for three amazing days and it is all thanks to you.

I loved the brave sacrifice of the tree men, the pummeling of the artillery on both sides, the crazy arrival of the giants, the aerial battle, the skaven invasion from bellow, the imagination that gave us spitting toad mortars and dive bombing owls. Most of all thanks to the great time had with great people.

Harry

I would just like to add my thanks to all involved but especially to Erny and Steve for sorting it out.
I have to say it was hard to look at the table and not keep grinning at the sheer quantity of wonderfully painted old lead on the table. Never imagined seeing such a spectacle ... never mind being involved in it.

Also I am very aware that this would never have happened without all those involved in sorting out Oldhammer day (this one and the first one) and indeed this forum and also to the Ansells and everyone at the Foundry for being such wonderful hosts. So my thanks go to everyone who contributed in any way to getting us to the point where this was possible.

Just John

I'd also like to echo what has been said. That was something special and a big thanks to all involved in creating such a fantastic spectacle.

Mister Rab

Agreed! It was a thoroughly marvellous weekend of gaming, with new friends made during the sort of game I've only ever seen before in the pages of 3rd Ed. or Siege. Particular thanks have to go to Thantsants and Erny for organising it and (along with Golfag, Citadel Collector and Harry) populating the table with about five Mighty Fortresses, earthworks and siege towers, but everyone involved made it such a glorious spectacle and game. Giants, treemen, stonethrowers, cannon, the indomitable Robin Hood, orcs, skeletons, ogres, goblins, dwarfs, skaven, fimir, more orcs, goblins, Ajax the turtle, knights, peasants, wyverns, chaos warriors, more skaven, halflings, Estalians, an AssCannon of Malal......

Truly epic :ugeek: :ugeek:

I have never owned Warhammer siege nor played a game of it but. With that caveat, having looked at the pictures, I am deeply impressed at:
1) The quality of the gaming layout,
2) The quantity of finely painted minis from many different contributors,
3) The fact that, in three short days, you mnaged to get past turn one with so much stuff on the table
4) I have heard no reports of fights breaking out.

The third point speaks volumes for the gaming know how of organisers and participants, The fourth point speaks well of the sportsmanship of all players.
Many congratulations. Although I live a plane ride away, this kind of thing makes me think that it would to attend BOYL 2015.

Erny

weismonsters":e5pdckof said:
4) I have heard no reports of fights breaking out.

The third point speaks volumes for the gaming know how of organisers and participants, The fourth point speaks well of the sportsmanship of all

After three days of late nights and gaming on the opposite side to my brother we did manage to get the closest to a fight, I think he got arsed off and I got pushed into hyper competitive mode for perhaps a short while. Hope our stiff words, all thirty seconds of them didn't scare anyone off :oops:

Thantsants

Hey all I did was have the daft idea in the first place and didn't say no to anyone and everyone joining in! It was you lot who made the game such a pleasure - only sorry I had to dip out on the Sunday.

Must admit I was very pleasantly surprised with how smoothly it all went - like Harry says I think all you had to do was just look at the spectacle of it to get a smile on your face :mrgreen:

Missed your spat Erny - brotherly love is always a beautiful thing ;)

Big thanks to Erny though for co-GMing, although I think we were all playing by consensus and just having a great laugh with it which really helped things moving. Huge thanks to all of you who contributed and played, to the Ansells for having us and even those nay-sayers who kept coming over to inform us nothing had moved in the past hour.

It had moved - just 3 inches though :lol:

zoggin-eck

Beautiful work all of you! Too bad for me, I could never afford travelling across the world for something like this, but I can dream.

While I'm dreaming, next time, hire a professional photographer for the whole event and make up a "Fantasy Miniatures" style art/coffee table book :) As mentioned, the games look just as good as anything from the 3rd/Siege books.

lenihan

zoggin-eck":2r0iherx said:
Beautiful work all of you! Too bad for me, I could never afford travelling across the world for something like this, but I can dream.

While I'm dreaming, next time, hire a professional photographer for the whole event and make up a "Fantasy Miniatures" style art/coffee table book :) As mentioned, the games look just as good as anything from the 3rd/Siege books.

Foundry's official photographer did take plenty of pictures with a fancy looking camera, reckon that's getting reasonably close to professional! Hopefully they'll let us look at them, I'm going to send off an e-mail thanking them for the organising and asking to have a look see at any dropbox or wherever they choose to store them.

Thantsants

Hey that'd make a great forecastle for your ship in the naval game that's being planned! :lol:

I'm liking the sound of the Fantasy Miniatures style book - must get round to the Orcs Drift coffe table book some time...

zoggin-eck

lenihan":1u6bzu8l said:
Foundry's official photographer did take plenty of pictures with a fancy looking camera, reckon that's getting reasonably close to professional! Hopefully they'll let us look at them, I'm going to send off an e-mail thanking them for the organising and asking to have a look see at any dropbox or wherever they choose to store them.

Sweet mate, sounds great.

Thantsants":1u6bzu8l said:
I'm liking the sound of the Fantasy Miniatures style book - must get round to the Orcs Drift coffe table book some time...

Sounds good to me!

Sorry to drag it off topic a bit, folks, but I really have spent enough time looking at these photos, along with the Ansell collection photos from Realm of Chaos 80s and Eldritch Epistles, that it'd do my tired eyes good to see them on something other than a computer screen!

Golgfag1

So I go down the club post BOYL 2014 and get well and truly drubbed playing 6th edition ancients and find myself wandering around the hall looking at what other people are playing and what do I find - a chap thinning out his collection so looking through the boxes what do I find a load of siege equipment, bloody typical two battering rams, ladders and various rock dropping stuff - the lot a fiver, so I gave him ten, life is good :grin: :grin: :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

Harry

They will come in another time.
Whilst the epicness of the game was great ... I really would like to play a slightly smaller siege game sometime and get into the nitty gritty of the siege rules. Maybe that is something we can do sometime?

Golgfag1

No problem with either of ideas listed above, just not in the immediate future eh? Things are currently moving steadily forward with Warhammer Ahoy at the moment in the Golgfag household and I wouldn't want to be distracted before I get the 'bloody' rigging done. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe i the new year?

Paul Golgfag1

Thantsants

Golgfag1":3j44qybm said:
So I go down the club post BOYL 2014 and get well and truly drubbed playing 6th edition ancients and find myself wandering around the hall looking at what other people are playing and what do I find - a chap thinning out his collection so looking through the boxes what do I find a load of siege equipment, bloody typical two battering rams, ladders and various rock dropping stuff - the lot a fiver, so I gave him ten, life is good :grin: :grin: :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

Well battering rams are like buses - you wait ages for one and all that :lol:

A more manageable siege game would be great at some point - would love to get in to the whole strategic time thing.

Got all my bits for Warhammer Ahoy so like Paul says it's full steam ahead on that one at the moment.

Back