[BOYL14 EVENT] Confrontation Royal Rumble

Everything related to Bring Out Your Lead 2014, at Wargames Foundry in Nottingham

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:54 pm

Re: [BOYL14 EVENT] Confrontation Royal Rumble

whiskey priest wrote:That's awesome, I'm so looking forward to all the games that we're playing. I can't tell which is going to best! I'm so excited I might just wee myself!

So this! I have a day off on Monday, in leu for work I did in the holidays. The day is devoted to painting Sensei lackies and Underhivers. I can't wait for this (and other games) at BOYL!

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:12 pm

antipixi wrote:So this! I have a day off on Monday, in leu for work I did in the holidays. The day is devoted to painting Sensei lackies and Underhivers. I can't wait for this (and other games) at BOYL!

Looking forward to seeing them Chris!

In the meantime, I just spent a tea break sticking some random lead to a plastic toy crane:

Is the heavy bolter too much? I was figuring that a Necromundan scrap dealer might want some way of defending himself should a gang come calling :)

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:28 pm

The heavy bolter did seem a little over the top at frst but with the explanation it makes sense actually... I'd definitely want my crane to be armed to chase scavvies and ratskins (well dogskins since we're in confrontation).
Ferrograd being on a penal colony, it seems perfectly logic.

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:56 pm

And now the crane has some paint. Still need to paint the details (engine, winch, cab interior etc), but all the exterior paintwork / weathering is now done:

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:10 pm

Really splendid ! The white paint with rust attacks is really good, are those washes or di d you come up with an elaborate technique or recipe of yours? A few metals here and there and smoke traces near the exhauts and it's perfect.

Was it easy to prime and paint that kind of plastic btw?

I'll try to develop the rules for the carne a tad more, players have to use it and I'm sure there are a lot of nastif things to do with it.

Oh and I'm thinking about you putting that in your car and the neighbours saying "he's out to play with his friends" :lol:

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:27 pm

Asslessman wrote:Really splendid ! The white paint with rust attacks is really good, are those washes or di d you come up with an elaborate technique or recipe of yours? A few metals here and there and smoke traces near the exhauts and it's perfect.

Was it easy to prime and paint that kind of plastic btw?

I'll try to develop the rules for the carne a tad more, players have to use it and I'm sure there are a lot of nastif things to do with it.

Oh and I'm thinking about you putting that in your car and the neighbours saying "he's out to play with his friends" :lol:

OK, the lighting must be bad - it's a pale yellow ;)

I actually ended up adapting a salt method (http://theminiaturesideofme.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/how-to-hairspray-and-salt-weathering.html) for the weathering.

The process was:

Step 1: spray model with a red car primer (I used Halfords red plastic primer which is suitable for use on plastics and has a rusty colour)
Step 2: apply some boltgun metal randomly using a sponge
Step 3: spray model with hairspray and sprinkle on rock salt
Step 4: spray model with 'paint' colour (I used a yellow Halfords car spray paint)
Step 5: scrub off all the salt to reveal the 'rust'
Step 6: scrape off 'paint' colour from all the edges to reveal the rust/metal colour underneath
Step 7: liberally add rust streaks with a wash (I used gryphonne sepia)

In total it has only really taken me an hour to do, but requires drying time inbetween each step. It was very easy and I will be looking at it again for some other stuff I'm sure :)

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:33 pm

DOn't blame th epicture, I'm watching this from a laptop with terrible colour rendering :?

I have seen a tutorial of this technique (minus the salt) on th etale of painters blog and I was considering using it at some point for some scenery, It confirms it's a viable approach.

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:16 pm

It was my first attempt JB...I'm pretty happy with the results - it will certainly fit in to Ferrograd nicely :)

Best part about it was the level of work (minimal) required for the finish (pretty acceptable). A good ratio in my view!

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:18 pm

That's more than acceptable in my book ! Anything that lets you move from square 0 to this level in an hour (with pauses in between to play with the kids and have a drink) is a winner !

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:32 pm

Crane is finished (well, as much as I plan to do for the moment!):

With crates:

Intense negotiations on an incoming shipment:

Some juves have been messing around with spray paint:

Are the crates big enough JB? ;)
PreviousNext

Return to Bring Out Your Lead 2014