Trading at Foundry (was How to run a trading post)

weazil

Hi all

With trading being a big thing on everybody's mind, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how such a thing might run?

At the moment, it feels like we should place a table bang in the centre of proceedings called 'trading post' (or similar), where people can leave figures 'on display' , together with some indication of who the figures belong to, so that if someone wants to trade, they just go and find said person and discuss. I realise this also implies someone will keep an eye on proceedings to ensure no-one steals anything. I'll put this to Marcus as they might be able to spare a Foundry someone-or-other for this purpose.

...but, I thought I'd raise the question. Does anyone have any better ideas of how to organise a trade stand without interfering with everybody's ability to game and otherwise participate in events?

Note - I'm not asking for ways to manage a bring and buy type arrangement (although, perhaps this is ultimately the answer) - I'm specifically interested in easy ways to manage trading.

Thanks!

Re: How to run a trading post

I'd certainly broach it with Foundry to start with. As you're effectively in someone's shop, they might not be too keen on the idea. Might be a better idea to do it via threads on here then just exchange figs/cash on the day.

Golgfag1

I'm planning to bring my unpainted boxes of stuff which basically means orcs & goblins which I'm prepared to let people rummage through to find what they will, which I'm prepared to trade for pre-slotta Dark-elves & Slann, if you#re offering cash expect to haggle.

Paul / Golgfag1

PS Just John has first dibs

weazil

dieselmonkey":2vdxyfmi said:
I'd certainly broach it with Foundry to start with. As you're effectively in someone's shop, they might not be too keen on the idea. Might be a better idea to do it via threads on here then just exchange figs/cash on the day.

The last time I spoke to Marcus, he was okay with this. We even discussed a bring and buy, but out of respect for the store, I don't think its appropriate to create a store within a store. Trades on OOP figures is fine.

What I haven't done is broached the topic of a minder, assuming this is a sensible way to do these trades...

weazil

Hi chaps

I had a conversation with Marcus today and I thought it worth just clarifying the position on trading and what we're going to do.

Marcus is completely okay with us trading figures on site.
Marcus is completely okay with us paying cash to each other for OOP figures.
Marcus does not want us to do cash transactions for any figures (or products, books, etc) that are currently in production and available.

He is happy to provide tables for us to do this with.

Given the social nature of the thing, however, we've decided to provide a table for people to trade on, but it won't be manned or anything - its just a place for people to carry out trades once they've found people who are interested. How do you find interested people? Either line 'em up before hand on the forum, or just uncover them in casual conversation. You could also just spread your wares on the table and watch the others flock in. I suspect there will be be a time in the day when someone will just lay some stuff out and then everything will stop as a short window of trading commences.

Looking at the reactions I've had (both on this thread and through private messages), I believe we will all respect the thing Marcus has enabled for us and we'll act suitably - but it is worth saying - please respect the privilege we have - I don't want people trading classic cars or magic cards and such like - this is something specifically for oldhammer to enable us to further our hobby plans.

jprp

You could have an unmanned table where people could put lists on individual pieces of card or whatever and if someone wants to trade just shout out for that person and they then get out the figures.

Back