Oldhammer Weekender RoC Warbands Game Setup and discussion

Orlygg

Here are the details as they currently stand.

The game will be played over a rectangular table set up. This may be many tables pushed together, or more than one table. This largely depends on interest, so we will be able to provide more detail about this in the future.

All table edges will be possible entry points to the game, though one will be selected as Khorne only and other as Slannesh only, leaving the player with three possible entry points to enter the conflict.

A player may enter the conflict at any time, or elect to withdraw his warband at anytime, similar to the way that you can drop in and out of online Xbox 360 games as you wish, though withdraws will need to be moved as part of the game turn. This should provide a great deal of flexibility about where you choose to start with your warband, and would represent the champion selecting the best possible position for his forces upon arrival at the battle. You could even play for a while, move out of the action, and return later if you so wished.

Models can be treated as character models (they move independently) or as units. Units can be mixed on racial grounds, so dwarfs, goblins and skaven all in one unit is fine, with the restriction that movement will be calculated by the slowest moving member of the unit and that base sizes need to be consistent with the unit as a whole.

Reward points will be given to champions for different actions, though these are yet to be fully confirmed, but would look something like this.

Champion killing a follower of enemy god = 1 reward point
Champion killing a champion of enemy god = 5 reward points
Khorne Champion killing an ally = 3 reward points
Slannesh Champion killing through pleasure (acquiesence spell, chaos weapon etc) = 3 points
and so on.

This should provide contributors with three things.
1) Rewards that can be spent on developing your champion and warband after the event.
2) A tally of points which allows us to identify the champion of champions (the model with the most points after the game is over)
3) A tally of points which allows us to identify which side (Chaos God) has won the battle over all.

Its early days, but this is how things stand at the moment.

Any comments, ideas or questions, please don't hesitate to make them below.

Erny

Re: Oldhammer Weekender RoC Warbands Game Setup and discussi

This is great, forgive me my earlier concerns, I was worried we were going either tournamenty with this or else a more orchestrated experience. Clearly I was wrong.

Now I'm just looking forward to bashing your Khornate bonce in ;)

Erny

Personally, one person, one warband on table at a time.

That would allow you to:

Bring warbands for other people to use.

Start again if you die quickly.

Tag team. But you would necessarily then run the risk of not collecting many reward points as you hovered round the table edge and divided your scoring opportunities between bands.

Two or more on table at the same time controlled by you could easily be played to benefit just one champion. If you want an alliance work it out with other players.

Thanks Erny. Sorry, I should have clarified - I didnt mean I would want to use multiple warbands at the same time, I was just wondering if I could bring several and then have a selection to choose from during the course of the day. Being undivided I'm not particularly aligned to one Power... :)

Erny

Ok so sort of how I thought things could work.

Just to point out this is just my thoughts, if everyone else thinks multiple at one time is a good idea, then I bow to the majority.

Given how long its been since I played, handling one warband at a time will be quite enough of a challenge for me...

Orlygg

Yes, one warband per player makes narrative sense. I shall be bringing my Slanneshi and Khornate Warbands that Dan and I used our campaign. Dan's very attached to his Doomaxes, so will no doubt be fielding them, leaving me with the Throng of Exquisite Pleasure. I hope to complete an additional Khorne warband over the coming months so I can choose which God to support on the day.

For me, its going to be more entertaining to pledge support to one god and partake in all the banter that will go alongside it.

I will suggest some additional rules to the game concerning multi warband players.

Upon the death of a Champion the player can;
1) remove their warband from the field - this will represent them fleeing as individuals, or slipping away to join warbands of successful champions after the battle. The player could then decide if they wished to field a new warband to the same. or different, god.
2) Nominate a model to 'take command' of their warband. I am a sure that all forces would have a second in command waiting in the wings, and Chaos warbands would be no exception. The character would receive an 'instant' reward of a chaos weapon, chaos armour or chaos attribute (depending on dice roll). Players may want to think about who this is in advance and have appropriate plans.

Davey

I'll be bringing a larger Slaaneshi force, which I'm currently building, that I can field in several games. But at it's heart there will be a warband for the big event.

I'm also thinking of inventing some of my own chaos attributes for my figures - nothing too powerful, just stuff to add to narrative - I hope that's OK?

Orlygg

Citadel Collector":2eon4tfn said:
I'm also thinking of inventing some of my own chaos attributes for my figures - nothing too powerful, just stuff to add to narrative - I hope that's OK?

There is an 'invent your own' option on the attributes chart, so I don't see why not. Verbal agreement before use would be enough for me.

Erny

Applying standard rules to Oldhammerers, like herding cats. :lol:

Long may it last.

I'm really looking forward to all the pics and game narratives. I have enjoyed reading the progress on everyone's warbands.
So jealous that I can't make it, if only we could have an American play by internet presence.

Orlygg

I have re-written the Step Up and Scenario rules for the RoC Warbands game. I have posted them up on my blog and on the Oldhammer Blog too.

Any more comments would be helpful. So speak now or forever hold your peace!

weazil

Thanks for this - its nice to see it all come together.

I was wondering if you could add some guidelines around personal equipment for the champions. Not all will get Chaos Armour, which means they'll just have a hand weapon and a nice shirt. Where do we stand on things like pistols, heavy armour, flails and that sort of thing? I know there are generation tables for this in The Lost and the Damned, but perhaps you had other ideas?

Orlygg

I had the following thoughts about this, but was holding fire so not to over complicate things. I was intending to use the LotD equipment list to offer upgrades to characters, and give each level a budget to spend. For example, level 5 champions would have 30 points, level 10 20 points, level 15 10 points an level 20+ 5 points to spend on additional equipment. This leads to problems. I would prefer not to use WYSIWYG rules for RoC, as it has its basis in roleplaying but additional rules like this may require players to do.additional modelling to be fair.

Thoughts?

Erny

Not ever so happy about you imposing a restriction on daemons! My warband contains a demonic familiar that was a gift from Slaanesh him/her self and is quite important to the way it plays. I have a wizard who also summons a daemon familiar and thanks to the random rolls of chaos, magic is what my warband does.

I thought we had agreed some time ago the rules you'd like to apply to this and as they weren't very many or restrictive I was cool. If you start telling people what they can and cannot bring to a game we all decided to play together well, it's a little dictatorial, for no good reason. We're oldhammerers and can be trusted not to go over the top and organise ourselves.

Orlygg

Erny":13oryprn said:
Not ever so happy about you imposing a restriction on daemons! My warband contains a demonic familiar that was a gift from Slaanesh him/her self and is quite important to the way it plays. I have a wizard who also summons a daemon familiar and thanks to the random rolls of chaos, magic is what my warband does.

I thought we had agreed some time ago the rules you'd like to apply to this and as they weren't very many or restrictive I was cool. If you start telling people what they can and cannot bring to a game we all decided to play together well, it's a little dictatorial, for no good reason. We're oldhammerers and can be trusted not to go over the top and organise ourselves.

Calm down Erny, they are just guidelines based on what I am hearing from interested parties. I have had a number of emails recently about the threat of summoned daemons/vortex of chaos derailing the battle etc and was responding. The restrictions come from the Slaves to Darkness Daemonic Battlefield rules. Over the next six months we can craft this game to suit the needs of all interest parties, though pleasing everyone all of the time is going to be difficult.

You want daemonic familiars, we'll stick them in.

Erny

Ok long day, sorry, perhaps limit high level spells and greater daemons but a few lesser ones won't hurt. Not that I have any but someone may be planning on them already.

Orlygg

Daemons are a problem.

I have had a number of worried gamers who are concerned that they are going to travel many, many miles with a warband they have put many hours into, only to see them wiped out when someone summons 2d6 bloodletters (which cannot be harmed with non magical weapons) as they have no means of countering.

Hence the no daemons rule needs to stand. I've checked the rules and see no such issues with familiars though.

RoC is quickly becoming the 'main event' of the day and its important to get it as right as we can. In a week or so I'll do another update, include guidance on familiars, additional equipment and homebrew attributes as these have all come up recently.

Back