[BOYL14 EVENT] Confrontation Royal Rumble

axiom

I was already planning on buying a crane for my still to be made necromunda board...I can probably acquire and paint one in the next 6 weeks!

Asslessman

That would be perfect !

I've also worked on th epsy rules and though I'm only keepingthem for concerned players I cna show you the ref sheet for the characters. I will add pics of the models to ease things (we have 20 or so model son the board so it might make things easier for me) or failing that we could add names on the bases but this may not please everyone (not everyone wil lwant to write a name or add an ugly sticker)

Confrontation+Stats.jpg

Asslessman

I'm almost finished on the seocnd gang as well. Legiocustodes will be joining us but he won't have a team so he can pick from either Colin's or mine.

Oh and They're absolutely lovely Colin btw. I love the resticted palette and the identity they have. Are they Ash waste Nomads or something of the sort?

axiom

Will this crane be big enough JB? :) The crane arm is 30cm long, making the whole thing ~43cm when fully erect.

Crane1_zpsf15292cc.jpg

I selected it on the basis of price (just £10) and reasonably close scale. It does need a bit of work to make the scale fit though - check out the diddy steps to the cab and tiny door to the engine:

Crane2_zps3e8cbf34.jpg

It is also radio controlled, but only for up and down on the crane arm (not rotating). I'm not sure if I can keep that function when I paint it, but I'll give it a go - it's not a disaster if we have to imagine it going up and down, right?

That's awesome, I'm so looking forward to all the games that we're playing. I can't tell which is going to best! I'm so excited I might just wee myself!

Asslessman

You should see the tears in my eyes now Jon ! The scale is jus tright !

Ferrograd + confrontation + awesome models + awesome players AND a bloody crane ! We'll be a highly demanded bucnh after that !

axiom

Glad you like it guys! I'm planning on adding a seat in the cab - I think I have a spare RT land speeder seat which might work :)

antipixi

whiskey priest":2yl4rn4h said:
That's awesome, I'm so looking forward to all the games that we're playing. I can't tell which is going to best! I'm so excited I might just wee myself!

So this! I have a day off on Monday, in leu for work I did in the holidays. The day is devoted to painting Sensei lackies and Underhivers. I can't wait for this (and other games) at BOYL!

axiom

antipixi":15a3sfpi said:
So this! I have a day off on Monday, in leu for work I did in the holidays. The day is devoted to painting Sensei lackies and Underhivers. I can't wait for this (and other games) at BOYL!

Looking forward to seeing them Chris!

In the meantime, I just spent a tea break sticking some random lead to a plastic toy crane:

Cab1_zps141e60aa.jpg

Cab2_zpse45933e2.jpg

Is the heavy bolter too much? I was figuring that a Necromundan scrap dealer might want some way of defending himself should a gang come calling :)

Asslessman

The heavy bolter did seem a little over the top at frst but with the explanation it makes sense actually... I'd definitely want my crane to be armed to chase scavvies and ratskins (well dogskins since we're in confrontation).
Ferrograd being on a penal colony, it seems perfectly logic.

axiom

And now the crane has some paint. Still need to paint the details (engine, winch, cab interior etc), but all the exterior paintwork / weathering is now done:

Crane2_zps0d5882e0.jpg

Asslessman

Really splendid ! The white paint with rust attacks is really good, are those washes or di d you come up with an elaborate technique or recipe of yours? A few metals here and there and smoke traces near the exhauts and it's perfect.

Was it easy to prime and paint that kind of plastic btw?

I'll try to develop the rules for the carne a tad more, players have to use it and I'm sure there are a lot of nastif things to do with it.

Oh and I'm thinking about you putting that in your car and the neighbours saying "he's out to play with his friends" :lol:

axiom

Asslessman":24kejovh said:
Really splendid ! The white paint with rust attacks is really good, are those washes or di d you come up with an elaborate technique or recipe of yours? A few metals here and there and smoke traces near the exhauts and it's perfect.

Was it easy to prime and paint that kind of plastic btw?

I'll try to develop the rules for the carne a tad more, players have to use it and I'm sure there are a lot of nastif things to do with it.

Oh and I'm thinking about you putting that in your car and the neighbours saying "he's out to play with his friends" :lol:

OK, the lighting must be bad - it's a pale yellow ;)

I actually ended up adapting a salt method (http://theminiaturesideofme.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/how-to-hairspray-and-salt-weathering.html) for the weathering.

The process was:

Step 1: spray model with a red car primer (I used Halfords red plastic primer which is suitable for use on plastics and has a rusty colour)
Step 2: apply some boltgun metal randomly using a sponge
Step 3: spray model with hairspray and sprinkle on rock salt
Step 4: spray model with 'paint' colour (I used a yellow Halfords car spray paint)
Step 5: scrub off all the salt to reveal the 'rust'
Step 6: scrape off 'paint' colour from all the edges to reveal the rust/metal colour underneath
Step 7: liberally add rust streaks with a wash (I used gryphonne sepia)

In total it has only really taken me an hour to do, but requires drying time inbetween each step. It was very easy and I will be looking at it again for some other stuff I'm sure :)

Asslessman

DOn't blame th epicture, I'm watching this from a laptop with terrible colour rendering :?

I have seen a tutorial of this technique (minus the salt) on th etale of painters blog and I was considering using it at some point for some scenery, It confirms it's a viable approach.

axiom

It was my first attempt JB...I'm pretty happy with the results - it will certainly fit in to Ferrograd nicely :)

Best part about it was the level of work (minimal) required for the finish (pretty acceptable). A good ratio in my view!

Asslessman

That's more than acceptable in my book ! Anything that lets you move from square 0 to this level in an hour (with pauses in between to play with the kids and have a drink) is a winner !

axiom

Crane is finished (well, as much as I plan to do for the moment!):

With crates:
Crane1_zpsf64c5490.jpg

Intense negotiations on an incoming shipment:
Crates_zps446a9062.jpg

Some juves have been messing around with spray paint:
Graffiti4_zpsa914d198.jpg

Graffiti3_zpsc2ade421.jpg

Graffiti1_zpscbebde7f.jpg

Graffiti2_zps7c6a5f78.jpg

Are the crates big enough JB? ;)