Painting Contest

weazil

Hi chaps

I know this was discussed on this thread here, with me proposing that there should not be a painting contest, because there were no prizes, which creates a whole judgement conundrum that we didn't seem able to resolve.

So imagine my surprise when I was discussing this with Marcus today and he said something like "Oh, well if that's the issue, then we'll offer the prizes..."

Which means that there will indeed be a painting contest. The Foundry staff will be the judges and they will provide prizes (no idea what, though).

Now I appreciate that means things are starting much later than some pro-painters might like - it also adds strain to those attempting to paint figures for games, but better late than never is a line many people take with this sort of thing.

So - we're not anticipating a huge number of entries and for this reason, there are only four categories:

Large
Small
Skirmish Force
Army

Small really covers one or two infantry or cavalry or similar - be they sporting, science fiction or fantasy. Large covers, well, large things. Tanks, units or monsters.

The Skirmish Force and Army categories take into account that actually, everyone will have beautiful figures on the table that they're playing with, so just having figures will allow you to participate! Skirmish Force describes a team - fantasy sports, or a fireteam or a skirmish unit. Army is, well, everything else.

If there are three or less entries in any one category, we'll just merge them into the next most suitable, unless one is so completely and utterly spectacular that it deserves something special.

So - apologies for the confusion - consider the short notice part of the challenge!

Harry

Does that mean you don't need me to bring an old hammer? :grin:

That is very cool of them.

No army category?

weazil

Hmmm...an Army category. We hadn't discussed that, but it sounds like a good idea, given there will be lots of armies.

Okay, lets have an army category. I'll update the thread.

axiom

A question of logistics here - can single day attendees enter? What if single day attendees from Sat and Sun want to enter - how will these be judged?

;)

weazil

Hi Axiom

Another good question. Saturday is the day with the most 'density', so lets do the judging then. The rule will be, if the figure(s) is/are there on Saturday, it can be judged. The owner need not be present, just the figure(s).

Asslessman

Very good, I'll probably end up leaving one of my RT warbands in the skirmish category and will probably paint something to play in the small one.

axiom

weazil":2kfceaxc said:
Hi Axiom

Another good question. Saturday is the day with the most 'density', so lets do the judging then. The rule will be, if the figure(s) is/are there on Saturday, it can be judged. The owner need not be present, just the figure(s).

Knocks me out then as I'm a Sunday only attendee. Probably just as well, as I've got too much other stuff to paint in the meantime ;)

Bane

I'll enter some stuff for this for fun. I just hope there will no ridiculously oversized plinths! (a pet hate of mine).

weazil

HI chaps

I was trying to get hold of Marcus today and ended up getting Bryan instead. We had a good chat about the weekend plans and the painting contest and it sounded like he had expected even more categories. The categories posted above are intentionally vague because I'm not expecting so many entries and I don't want people to be disqualified before they've even started because they don't fit the categories.

But, Bryan basically pointed out that everyone will have a single infantry type of figure. That is sort of covered in the 'small' category, but he suggested that if you have a lot of a specific type (say, orcs) then we could even have a sub-category or two, to allow the other less-common ones a fairer chance (and ultimately, more prizes). So, I'd expect an ad-hoc category or two to appear on the day.

The same might happen if we have a sudden surge of tanks or monsters.

There was also a suggestion of having a Foundry sub-category - I'm not sure how much mileage that would have this year, but its worth remembering for next year. I suppose once they've started selling their fantasy ranges in an easy to get sort of way, that would help those categories, but if you have some Foundry figures, you could put those forward too, I suppose.

As an aside, he also mentioned that Kev Adams would be there and that he would most likely be showing off some of the new greens he's been working on. I wonder if they'll coax him into judging?

Thantsants

Sounds great - I like the idea of having a rummage through the stuff you've brought to find a likely candidate to enter in various categories.

I can just see Kev wandering amongst the tables dishing out rosettes for best in show :lol:

Bane

Amazing news on many fronts, but especially that Kev Adams may well be there and may be judging. I have to complete at least one of his Gobbos before the Oldhammer day....

Harry

We should have a Foundry Catagory. That would be a nice nod to our hosts.
We should also have a Kev Adams catagory ... Just because we should. :grin:
(Any Goblin from any manufacturer, any range, from his long and varied contribution to goblin kind).

I think there were only 3 entries last time .... I think folks worry about painting competitions because the standard is so flippin stupid high in the Golden Demon and on Cool mini etc ... But it wasn't always and that is not who we are or what we are all about. Back in days of Oldhammer it was just painted ... none of this wet blending stuff. Bit of dry brushing here and there but you were lucky if it even had a wash. I think we should just encourage everyone there to just pull a mini or a regiment from their box of toys and drop it on the table. Just so we can all enjoy them.

... and I think prizes should be given not for the best painting but for those minis that, like old friends, remind us of happier and simpler times. (regardless of the standard of painting).

ChaosChild

I've seen those new greens of Kev's and they are simply awesome. Given how enthusiastic he and Bryan are about them I suspect that they'll be on display at some point.

Mister Rab

Sounds fun, and I'm already getting a geeky thrill at the idea of meeting both the Mighty Avenging Lord of Chaos, and the Goblinmaster :ugeek:
Plus, several of my figures I'm bringing are Foundry re-releases of the old Feudal range so I can at least increase the quantity (if not the quality) of the entries :lol:

EDIT - oh, and I could pop a couple of KA's goblins from Crooked Claw into my case as well, cool!

Back