• Welcome to the Golden Gobbo painting competition. If you'd like to read some of the ancient history you can on the Realm of Chaos 80s blog.

This competition is held some years and you'll find threads here describing how to enter and when the competition is running (typically after BOYL each year).

Other than the fame and wonderment of your peers there is often a prize kindly donated and you'll have the wonder of being awarded badges for your profile here.

Golden Gobbo Online Contest vs. BOYL Onsite Contest

weazil

Righto

This has sort of come of up for discussion on this thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2220&p=39141#p39141

You don't expressly need to go to that thread, only note that I had posted this reply there:

Weazil":3oi8tfzs said:
...I think the problem comes with the idea of this being a contest. By making it a contest, then one has to judge and if one has to judge, then rules must be in place to create categories so that apples can be compared with apples. I agree with the original intent of the thing, but I wonder if the thing we're really interested in for those actually attending the BOYL weekend might be better described as an exhibition?

THe reason I've raised this is that I don't think we've ever bedded out if the contest was for those present vs. anyone who could engineer a figure to the weekend vs. just sending a picture of a figure someone has done. This, and the fact that the categories and nature of the prize have not been decided and even the general interest in a painting contest has been relatively low (only 8 votes on this poll and only 3 in this one).

So, may I propose this:

Following the nature of BOYL - we don't have a painting contest at all (after all, it's NOT A TOURNAMENT :) ) - rather, feel free to bring figures to display (as happened last year - chaos dwarf juggernaught, great spined dragon and the citadel giant were all brought through just for the sake of it), and we restart the golden gobbo as an annual online competition with categories, deadlines, public voting and prizes.

...I thought it made sense to post here given that my suggestion proposes that Golden Gobbo remain an online, international, community painting contest.

One can read more about what has been discussed about this before in this thread, by the way.

Naagruz

So when is the Golden Gobbo?
An annual online forum painting comp would be great fun! I don't care about prizes, but would be happy to contribute something if there is enough interest. :grin:

Greetings! I also think that it must be fun, so let's see! I wish I a=could participate in this painting contest in the future!

Back