Protist's works progressive

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:34 pm

Protist's works progressive

Well, I've not painting much this last year or so, in fact barely at all for many reasons. But I've been collecting here and there and put together a lil' DE force for fun. Here's the state of the first unit under the brush so far Menghil's (nearly) Manflayers:

Not my best work ever, I'll be honest, but I really couldn't spare much time on them and they're canon fodder in the end :shock:

Still some basing work to finish, a few details to pick out and some tidying up to do.
Protist's Works Progressive: Paint-hammer in progress thread, hosted right here on the forums
Lead Hammer is my blog, charting a personal, wandering course through the world of miniatures
Unfortunately I have lost all my photos - since I let my old web-host lapse - I'll get them all back again sometime in the new year :roll:

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: Protist's works progressive

They look good. I'm always a fan of enameled armor but also to scared to try it!

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:41 pm

Those are fantastic Protist :) Colourful without sliding into cartoony.
Can I ask what paint range that turquoise is from?
Image Image

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Nice work. I really like the enameled armor too, and would also like to know what turquoise you used.
Image ImageImageImage

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks guys
I was a little dubious as I got started that using a turquoise/orange combo could get too 'cartoony', but I kept it going anyway cos I'm stubborn and its striking!

The turquoise is from the Vallejo Model Colour range. I always mix paints though, but I can never remember after I've done it. Likely candidates used at different stages are ice blue (old GW paint range), VMC pale sand, Vallejo Game Colour dark blue, probably some VGC black, and various mediums for washing and tinting... but yeah, I like to bring a little more than colour triads to the table ;)

Don't be afraid of enamel! You always see people taking these textures to crazy levels, but for gaming type work just have some fun with it. Use a slightly darker shading and slightly stronger highlighting edge with some obvious light spots and it looks serviceable at least. Doesn't seem to work so well on chainmail but hey, who cares, its colourful!
Protist's Works Progressive: Paint-hammer in progress thread, hosted right here on the forums
Lead Hammer is my blog, charting a personal, wandering course through the world of miniatures
Unfortunately I have lost all my photos - since I let my old web-host lapse - I'll get them all back again sometime in the new year :roll:

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:56 pm

I think it looks great on the chainmail, if anything it gives a more coherent look, tying the pieces together much better than the usual silver would have done imho.
Image Image

Donator

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:22 pm

Very nice indeed! These are some good looking elves...and I rarely say such things...:)

Cheers,

Blue
3rd Edition will rise AGAIN!!!!
My Painting collecting...and sometimes gaming Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:49 pm

Wow , very great colours on those elves , they together look really nice! :)

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:09 am

First up a big thanks to all the positive comments given - much appreciated :)

I've been busy painting every spare moment I have since I got the brush bug back after a long 'time-out' as mentioned in my first post. I've soldiered through the large units and, since they arrived recently, I thought I'd treat myself to the more individualistic elements of the force.

Still not actually finished anything yet, but that's how I like to work - all the final touches get done together so it all hangs together better... or I'm just frivolous and vapid jumping from one unit/model to the next - you decide :?

Another warriors unit - this time with black chainmail - ooh how evil!
I really need to sort out more shields, but can't come up with anything decent. This unit are short of 5. The rest of the army is short about 20!

The general and his retinue of cold one riders. There's a minor conversion for the banner bearer - but being all black she's kinda hard to see.

The first few stages of the rather fishy looking dragon. I need to figure out a decent sorceror/ess rider but might have a conversion idea:

And some chaos warriors who just tag along with the army for the killing part. They're mates with the general after he bested them all in a drinking game involving peach schnapps, marbles and a halfling's underpants...

A rather rubbish picture of all the units so far, bar some witch elves and two more bolt throwers+crew. Those are being cleaned up for priming still.

Now, if I could only find my tripod I would get some better/sharper/brighter pictures for the showroom, as they get completed :cry:

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:11 am

These are shaping up to be quite awesome.
Next

Return to WIP