Any metal fans here?

runequester

In Battle there is no law as they say. So any other metal fans on board? Whether old school or new.

I'm a huge fan of the cheesy euro power metal (blind guardian, hammerfall, paragon, rhapsody etc) as well as death metal (bolt thrower, god dethroned, immolation and a bunch more). Throw in some new wave of british heavy metal, a bit of thrash, some folk metal nad just about anything other than black metal.

Chico

I love alot of Metal/Rock, top of the lists are Sabaton, Black Sabbeth, G n' R but my main love in music is Horrorcore.

Definition from Wiki (Which isn't right, it's more a Hybrid of Metal/Rap but harder then Nu Metal)

Horrorcore defines a style of hip hop music that focuses primarily around horror-influenced topics that can include satanism, self-harm, cannibalism, suicide, murder, torture, rape and supernatural themes. The lyrics are often inspired by horror movies over moody, hardcore beats. According to rapper Mars, "If you take Stephen King or Wes Craven and you throw them on a rap beat, that's who I am."

Horrorcore was described by Entertainment Weekly in 1995 as a "blend of hardcore rap and bloodthirsty metal."The lyrical content of horrorcore is sometimes described as being similar to that of death metal, and some have referred to the genre as death rap. Horrorcore artists often feature dark imagery in their music videos and base musical elements of songs upon horror film scores.

(KGP, is seen as the Godfather of Horrorcore)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J49QjbHuXeM

Asslessman

Raises head.

Although I love a lot of different musics amongst which romantic piano (Chopin, Rachmaninoff) I have to say metal still makes me chill. Fave bands would be Cryptopsy, Aborted, obviously Cannibal Corpse (seen them about 6-7 times live) Deicide and Morbid Angel but there are so many more (anything from Black Sabbath an NWOBHM to modern grind/death). With time and maturity I quite fancy the compromise offered by Opeth now for example.

Apart from that it'd be easier to count what I do not like than what I do.

runequester

Major kudos for Sabaton and I love some old school Morbid Angel. Something about that kind of "slow" old school Death Metal just does it for me every time.

Asslessman

Oh and I should have precised that metal is just like the hobby for me, I started with RT and WHFB3rd and I was listening to loads of Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Metallica and this combo has never left me. I do not believe it will ever do so.

I had the obligatory metal phase in the 90's/00's and still listen to some metal, although I'm not really up to date with new stuff. There's still some old stuff in the playlist, like Maiden, Metallica, Kittie, Rammstein. Think the newest stuff I listen to is Dethklok, and that's not even a real band :mrgreen:

My music taste nowadays is mostly Japanese though, and I listen to quite a bit of Visual Kei/J-Rock that could be considered metal, Versailles, Moi Dix Moi, X-Japan, Jupiter, 9mm Parabellum Bullet, Sex machine Guns

runequester

Asslessman":1u2had3x said:
Oh and I should have precised that metal is just like the hobby for me, I started with RT and WHFB3rd and I was listening to loads of Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Metallica and this combo has never left me. I do not believe it will ever do so.

Sometimes we find what we like and it stays for life. It's really hard to go wrong with those three :) Throw in some Judas Priest and maybe some Diamond Head and it's a good 'un.

phreedh

I like me a bit of metal, I do... but as I type this I'm listening to Mos Def so I suppose I'm not a metal fan as such. =)

I do like Bolt Thrower, but prefer Bathory or Entombed. Also like King Diamond A LOT, as well as Metallica or stuff like Danzig and Mustasch. From time to time I enjoy listening to crap like Helix, Madam-X or WASP too just because it's so outlandish and silly.

A few of my favourite songs:

Entombed - Out of hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56NfNEQlumg

Bathory - A fine day to die (horrible quality on this one, there are better quality reissues on Spotify)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyYnstGB3rM

King Diamond - At the graves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODtIbv_oN2k

Finally, pimping a mate of mine who used to have a pretty damn good band but they decided to go for conventional carreers instead in the end. Pity. Their two albums are on Spotify though. Well worth a listen if you enjoy Sabbath, Mustasch or Kyuss for example.
Blind Dog - Don't ask me where I stand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Zrkhuqobw

When painting I mostly hear those 80s Metal. Bands like Saxon, Helloween, Blind Guardian... Sometimes also the newer ones like Sabaton, U.D.O. or Axel Rudi Pell.

phreedh

Asslessman":29ohksn8 said:
No shame about Mos Def Phreedh.
Absolutely not. I was only alluding to the fact that I'm in no way a metal fan. I enjoy metal, I enjoy hiphop and I enjoy various electronic music types.

Zhu, happy to see you mentioning ebm... I've been a fan of Nitzer Ebb, Front 242 and DAF since the 90s and I really enjoy newer offerings as well.

I lean towards classic 60 and 70's rock, 80's and 90's rock and metal.
Big on: Black Sabbath, classic Ozzy, Bowie, Alice Cooper, Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Iggy Pop, early Judas Priest and Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Rainbow, KISS, GNR, Mr Bungle and Faith No More, GWAR, RHCP, Buckethead and all that.
I listened to more than my fair share of the obligatory Metallica, Pantera and Sepultura in the 90s of course.
I'm not really into the full on extreme metal/growling stuff though, I'd rather listen to Roxette :mrgreen:

Naagruz

Tool, Soundgarden, Ministry, & the classics like Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, & Judas Priest are all solid.

I can't really listen to the new stuff because it's like they are trying too hard & I just end up giggling. Epic, cheesy Metal love ballads are a riot as well. :lol:

runequester

I was informed very loudly and pointedly by Grunge fans that Soundgarden was most certainly NOT at all metal, when I was in 8th or 9th grade :)

Apparently the Grunge kids took that as an offense.

TO us, growing up, if it had heavy guitars it was at least kind of metal :twisted:

Naagruz

runequester":mggzw4pw said:
I was informed very loudly and pointedly by Grunge fans that Soundgarden was most certainly NOT at all metal, when I was in 8th or 9th grade :)

Apparently the Grunge kids took that as an offense.

TO us, growing up, if it had heavy guitars it was at least kind of metal :twisted:

It's funny I had that conversation with a friend recently. Given that Soundgarden pre-dated Grunge, they really had no other category to fit into except Metal. Heck, they even earned a Grammy nom for "Best Metal Performance" before Nirvana pushed Grunge into the forefront & sales of flannel shirts went through the roof. :grin:

Music is neat stuff.

Lots of bands got unfairly labelled "grunge"- Soundgarden and Alice In Chains, The Melvins, TAD...were Pearl Jam even "grunge", really?

runequester

I think what happened is that Grunge was popular, so a bunch of bands that were cool and weren't super "metal" (which at the time meant California hair-metal-vomit or thrash) got shoved into that category.

Blue Oyster Cult, Devo, Grand Funk Railroad, Stevie Nicks.... (what? They were all on the Heavy Metal soundtrack so they MUST be metal. ... right? ? ;) ) .

Back