D&D ADVENTURE! Chase to the Crystal City

Asslessman

As they left, Seu made sure to smash one last Bottle of wine on the wall near the guard's head, whispering, "wheeeereeeeveeeer you goooooooooo, weeeee wiilll waaaaatch youuuuuuu". This has the advantage of covering the guard in wine and to avoid Bufo getting drunk again.

While they made their way to the empty carriage, Seu smelled the halfling in front of him (this mixture of food, wine, sweat and urine was absolutely unique). He grabbed him by what felt like a shirt while runing away and he lifted the poor invisible creature to his face "I'll want my purse back Bufo, the spell did make us invisible but it did not make me stupid..."
As they were making their way to retreat, Seu thought he would later ask his companions about that giant brown sausage he had not seen in Bufo's loot, it seemed to have worked magnificently to frighten Herbert...

Slow claps to our DM, a very enjoyable and definitely hilarious moment!

Impressed by the illusionists display, Rambulge congratulated the diminutive fellow, and chuckled as the Paladin manhandled Bufo.
When the spell sword put his arm around Bari The White's shoulder in a display of comradeship he saw the look on Robin's face and withdrew it.
Rambulge stopped short of any such display towards the Ranger and settled for a nod of manly acknowledgement.

"Thankyou Rambulge. Let us hope that we have succeeded in silencing him."

"Now how shall we occuy ourselves for the rest of the train journey. Anyone for a game of cards," said Eggbert, pulling the ace of spades from behind Buffo´s ear.

I've just had a quick cross-reference with the website weismonsters linked with the spell description before, and my own D&D rulebook, and the website spells are different in subtle ways, which may effect gameplay, so i'm just going to clarify now:

Invisibility, 10' Radius: Duration: until ended by caster, or caster makes an attack. Individuals apart from the caster will only end their own invisibility by making an attack. Those effected by the spell can't see each other (more fun that way, anyway). Moving 10 feet away from the caster causes others to lose their invisibility.

At the current time, everyone is still invisible as Eggbert hasn't stated that he's ended the spell yet.. I suggest you remain invisible for a little bit longer (hint hint).

The companions snuck out of the carriage like a bunch of school boys fleeing from a prank. Herbert was moaning and blubbering in a pool of wine and piss, hopelessly enraged and terrified in equal measure, when his two collegues found him.

"What in the bleedin' 'eck?" gasped Varis, taken aback at the scene of wanton waste and abandon laid out before him.

"You thievin' bastard!" yelled Morris, seeing a packet of biscuits strewn over the floor.

"It weren't me!" Herbert retorted, "It were the 'alfling, I swears it!"

"Don't talk bloody nonsense," Varis squawked, "we caught ye red handed, 'ere in yer little hidin' spot. I knew someone 'round 'ere was nickin' food, shoulda known it were you, fat slug!"

"I'm tellin' ya, it weren't me! This train is crawlin' with invisible people, and an 'alfling, they took the food!"

"He's gone bloody bonkers. Must 'ave hit is 'ead while takin' a piss - he stinks o' wine too, prob'ly drunk!" Morris shook his head.

Varis sneered. "Drinkin' on the job, stealin' company victuals... yer in a spot o' bother now, ain't you 'Erbert?" The man dragged Herbert to his feet. "Pull yer pants up, ye bloody disgrace!"

Herbert struggled back into his trousers, his face red as a beetroot. "It's not bloody true, you can't..."

"yer goin' to the lock-up 'Erbert, we'll see what the company wants to do with you when we get to Schmiedenwelt."

"But... wait, come on lads!"

The two guards hauled the wet mess that was Herbert out through the door, his pleadings fading off into the distance, soon drowned out by the noise of the train.

Bufo stood up from his vantage point at the door. "Well, that's the last of him, hopefully!" he said to noone in particular (he couldn't see anyone anyway, they were all invisible). "Well now, did someone say something about playing cards?"

Bufo cast one more wistful glance at the food that lay scattered about the carriage, but didn't dare stray from the sphere of invisibility. Instead, he joined his companions, the brave souls who had saved his bacon once again, and hoped that it was the last time for a while they would have to do so.

If everyone is happy to sit tight and not cause trouble, you can safely remain invisible for the rest of the trip, till your jump-off in the morning. If this is the case, i'll wind up this chapter and we'll get started on chapter two :grin: If you choose to play cards with an invisible halfling thief, you WILL lose everything ;)

Asslessman

"Cards lead to our dark side, Playing cards leads to gambling, gambling leads to seeking wealth, wealth leads to the dark side of us. Excitement heh? A Paladin craves not these things. ...I........I don't know how to play any game on top of that... I'd rather stay in this invisibility sphere for the rest of our journey, wash my teeth, and get some proper sleep before dawn."

Well done with that card trick and the ace of spade, I really laughed at that

Bufo frowned at his deck of cards. Eggbert had shown him how he could throw personal effects outside of the sphere of invisibility to make them visible again, so currently, to an outside observer, it seemed that two handfuls of cards were waving about in thin air, playing against themselves. Bufo was highly suspicious of the way this game was playing out - the gnome seemed to know exactly what cards he was holding at any given time, and it was all Bufo could do to keep his boots (he'd already technically lost his pants, his shirt, his undergarments and his soul, but fortunately the little wizard didn't seem in a hurry to collect).

Rambulge and Seu seemed content to wallow in their own sanctimoniousness, Bari and Duke snored away, whilst Robin accompanied Yngwie on the rattling roof of the carriage they had made their temporary camp, remaining invisible within the sphere of Eggbert's enchantment. Yngwie's gaze was focused somewhere out in the far distance, but the ranger's thoughts remained within, for now.

"A few more hours to go," the elf mused, as if to himself.

"Are you going to sit watch all night?" the ranger asked.

"I'm the only one who knows where we're going" smiled Yngwie. "Besides, these laneways we travel are a part of my culture - they are the heritage of the elven race. They remind me of home."

"But.. don't these train lines belong to IDRA?"

The elf looked at the ranger with a sadness that could be felt, if not seen. "IDRA owns the tracks... but the pathways are ours. Were ours." Yngwie sighed. "It's a long story."

"You said we had hours?"

The minstrel grinned invisibly. "Very well then, friend ranger. I will tell you the tale of my people. It is not a happy tale, i'm afraid..."

"For thousands of years, elves were explorers and adventurers of reknown, beautiful, immortal, intelligent and wise, and the stars themselves could not bar their passage. In ships of sparkling elegance they winked to-and-fro through the very matter of space, using technology that was arcane and powerful, yet elegant and wonderful. With wings of magic they parted the skies of planets without number, bringing gifts of knowledge to the races they found. Everywhere they went, they built pathways of pure energy, sustained from the eternal forces that boil away in the endless void. These pathways linked first one galaxy, then several, before finally creating a vast, interconnecting web across the universe that joined everything together and created a golden age of trade, academia and arcana, the echoes of which are still felt even today, on worlds that no longer even have a memory of what they were once a part of. Sleek elven vessels raced through these tubes of energy, providing free, fast, safe passage to all those who sought beauty, knowledge and adventure. The homeworld of the elves was the hub at the centre of the whole span, and it was a place of such incredible splendour that visitors would pass out with the shock of seeing the collected riches and wonders of the whole universe. Truly, it was a great time for all beings.

Then, a great calamity occurred. Without warning, the elven homeworld simply... ceased to be. The elves who were not present on their homeworld became itinerant, the link to their ancestral spirits lost, their governing bodies were disconnected. Leaderless, confused and devastated, the great span of the universal empire ground to a halt. The elven ships stopped plying their way from world to world. The great light in the universe had gone out. Then, the IDRA came.

It began simply enough - a union of wealthy entrepreneurs proposed that the paths be opened anew, using new technology sourced from far flung worlds. The first great clanking train rolled out 300 years ago, shiny, loud and slow, so utterly unlike the elven ships that they replaced - yet, they worked, and a new age began. IDRA did not offer their services freely. The cost of travel was high, meaning that only the wealthiest could use their services - but the universe was full of wealthy beings. Trade reopened between worlds, and conflicts over resources began as planets previously cut off from the all-encompassing web returned to the fold to find their claims lost, their treaties abandoned and their trust dishonoured. War generated industry, and the industry was provided by IDRA. Great factories churned out weapons and equipment and the mines of hundreds of worlds filled their coffers with wealth aplenty. They had the monopoly over everyone, and they squeezed every last drop of profit from the planets they held in their sway. The IDRA are insurmountable, all-powerful, and unstoppable in their ambitions. They are the masters of the universe..."

"So you see, these paths belong to us, to the elves. They are the last remnant of our great empire, and we cherish them, even though for the most part, they are denied to us..." Yngwie's voice lapsed into a sombre silence.

"But what happened to your homeworld?" Robin asked.

"Noone knows for sure. Swallowed by a black hole in space? Erased by a spell to powerful to control? Punishment from the gods for our great hubris? There are so many theories. Noone knows. But... there are many who blame IDRA. Even though they didn't exist at the time, to our knowledge."

Robin nodded quietly. It was a lot to take in. From somewhere down beneath them, the shrill sound of the halfling screaming 'BALLS' could be heard, followed by the thumping of what sounded like boots hitting the far wall. The ranger reflected upon the folly of playing number games with a gnome who was clearly a super-numerate, among other things.

"You should get some rest," the elf said. He resumed his watch, staring off into the reaches of an endless universe.

"You're wrong about one thing, elf," the ranger said, as he carefully made his way across the top of the carriage.

"Oh?"

"These pathways aren't the last remnants of your elvish empire."

Yngwie chuckled, but without mirth. "If you're referring to the elven people, well... without the strength of our ancestors, without that vital link, what are we?"

"Still alive. Still breathing, friend minstrel." Robin turned and went below, to get what rest he could before the morning.

From under a tangle of broken furniture, a man scrabbled to free himself. He coughed, and stood up, brushing dust and other unmentionables from his battered suit. Clarence looked around at the devastation of the court-room, and gasped. It was totally unreal.

"They told me to hide under the table and not come out," he muttered to himself, "so i didn't. Now, they're all gone, and here I am. Still alive, still breathing!"

The legal aide shuffled through the wreckage to the front of the courtroom, where a nasty stain was clearly visible beneath a pile of rubble. Nasty fish chunks were splattered everywhere, the grisly mortal remains of the lawyer, Gillette.

"Farewell, fishwoman," Clarence murmured. "I never did get to tell you just how I felt..."

With that, the man exited the courtroom, to start a new life somewhere, as far away from here as he could possibly get.

THIS CONCLUDES CHAPTER ONE OF THE CHASE TO THE CRYSTAL CITY

EXP GAINED!!

SIR SEU ANTHEUS
PERSONAL EXP: 1000
COMBAT EXP: 0
QUEST EXP: 2000

TOTAL EXP: 3000

CURRENT EXP AT LEVEL 5: 24605/36000

BUFO the BLACK HOOD
PERSONAL EXP: 250

TOTAL EXP: 2250

CURRENT EXP AT LEVEL 4: 8155/10000

ROBIN the RANGER

CURRENT EXP AT LEVEL 5: 24005/36000

RAMBULGE the SPELLSWORD
PERSONAL EXP: 500

TOTAL EXP: 2500 (TO BE ASSIGNED)

CURRENT EXP AT LEVEL 2/3
FIGHTER: 2000/4000
SORCERER: 6455/10000

BARI the WHITE

CURRENT EXP AT LEVEL 5: 20335/27500

EGGBERT the ILLUSIONIST
PERSONAL EXP: 500

TOTAL EXP: 2500

CURRENT EXP AT LEVEL 6: 402500/60000

YNGWIE the BARD

CURRENT EXP AT LEVEL 6: 22250/40000

PARTY WEALTH:
GOLD: 1126
SILVER: 275
COPPER: 35

1 x RUBY
1 x SAPPHIRE
1 x DIAMOND

Asslessman

A splendid read really. Just the perfect tone and style to light my paladin's soul on fire. Robin's last words... epic. Damn I love it. Bravo James!

Oh, just one thing, combat XP : 0 really? I mean REALLY ? Seu almost ruined his knee when falling and Robin must have shot a dozen of perfect hits in a row while Rambulge was firing a Kamehameha ! 8-)

Seu tried to tidy his pack as best as he could while remaining invisible (now he understood why they made them pack their gear with closed eyes during their paladin training), Flamebrand's edge was already sharp and ready and the only 2 important task to do were to wash his teeth and have a proper prayer before getting some sleep.

After complying with these tasks he layed flat on the ground, his arms crossed on the chest and tried to have some sleep. After all the late events, he somehow didn't expect things to get easier from now on...

"Good night people!" whispered the Paladin "May the lady protect yo all" he added in a low voice that faded to sleep in the dead of night.

Eggbert, after finishing an enjoyable game of chance with Bufo, relaxed and reflected on the latest adventures.

A very nice adventure. Thanks to our wonderful DM and to the players.

Back