Khorne World Eaters Army Challenge

Goblinlee

In order to get back into the swing of painting after a break of a few weeks, yesterday I have started a painting challange on my blog to paint up my Khorne World Eaters army.

Last night I undercoated the army, this evening basecoated.

Not many of them are Oldhammer, some are more early 1990's, whilst the plastic ones are early 2000's, but it is a project to get me back into painting again after a break, and by extention into painting up more of my Oldhammer era stuff. The Chaos army consists of 70 Chaos Marines, 2 Predators, Defiler, and a Dreadnought.

Here's the link to my blog: http://goblinlee.blogspot.co.uk/

...and here are a few photographs of WIP so far. I shall be posting here too as I go.
BTW, for those not familar with my blog there are lots of Oldhammer things tucked away in my older posts :)

Attachments

• khorne tuesday 009 20%.jpg
    khorne tuesday 009 20%.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 3,868
  • khorne tuesday 012 20%.jpg
    khorne tuesday 012 20%.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 3,868
  • khorne tuesday 006 20%.jpg
    khorne tuesday 006 20%.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 3,868

Goblinlee

More Khorne Marines!

I managed to paint 20 Marines and two Predators this evening. :)

I have lightly added silver detailing to the bolt pistols, and more solid painting to the helmet eye pieces and gold symbols/bolt pistol ammo. I also painted the mouth of the World Eater shoulder pad black to suggest a gapping maw. I then gave them all a wash of Citadels Bloodletter Glaze.

http://goblinlee.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/khorne-world-eater-army-challenge_28.html

The concept is to paint up the army in a dark brooding paint scheme, rather than than a precise ornate one. I am going more for a mood feel rather than showroom style.

Tomorrow I plan to tackle 30 marines as I need to work my way thruogh the bulk of the army's troops before tackling the Chosen Marines, Warlord, or the Dreadnought and Defiler. :)

Attachments

• khorne w 2 002 18.jpg
    khorne w 2 002 18.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 3,847
  • khorne wednesday 008 18.jpg
    khorne wednesday 008 18.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 3,847
  • khorne wednesday 014 18.jpg
    khorne wednesday 014 18.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 3,847

Goblinlee

I have painted another 20 Chaos Space Marine this evening, and got halfway through painting another 20. :)

The plan is to to finish the last 20 Marines off tomorrow, and make a start on a few of the Chosen Marines as well. On Saturday evening I shall paint the rest of the Chosen and the Warlord (if I get time). Sunday will be the Dreadnought and the Defiler, and then basing the whole army. This leaves Monday to tidy up any odds and ends, and then varnishing :)

Attachments

• khorne thursday 004 18.jpg
    khorne thursday 004 18.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 3,828

Goblinlee

More Marines this evening!

I have painted the last of the Troops Choice, the last 20 Berserker Marines. I have also painte 4 of the Marine from the Chosen Squad.

Attachments

• khorne friday 001 18.jpg
    khorne friday 001 18.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 3,817
  • kh2 001 18.jpg
    kh2 001 18.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 3,817
As usual, nice (and prolific) work Lee- the gritty paint scheme works well.

I have a (smaller) World Eater army that I need to paint up one of these years, lots of those 90s metals and plastic monopose chaps in there.
I'm jealous of the Predators too ;)

Goblinlee

@ Count Von Bruno,
thank you I am pleased I have maintained the output this week considering the busy week at work. The whole idea was to get back into the swing of painting in the evenings after work as without a specific project I felt I was losing focus and getting lazy just sorting out miniatures and buying occsional Goblins from e-bay. That's why I went for a simplers paint scheme, but also I had seen it done before and wanted to give it a try :)

I would like to see your World Eater Army as your work on your Squats is very good. I have had the Predators in a box for years and thought if I don't use them for the World Eater Army I won't end up using them for anything, which would be a shame as they are nice models. It also gives the army a couple of pair of las-cannon which is also handy! :)

@ Smiler,
thank you, glad you like them. I wanted to go for a simple paint scheme, I was never a fan of the bright red style of painting them, and also to get back into the habit of painting in the evenings. I had seen this paint scheme in a White Dwarf about 15 years ago, and on Don Hans blog, and wanted to try it and modify it.

I love the darker mood it gives them, striking is a good description :) . The simple colour scheme gives a slight dark aura about them, and that they belong more in the Eye of Terror than in the material universe with their nice neat paint schemes. It's fun and quick to paint too. :)

smiler

I much prefer atmospheric paint styles like this to ultra realistic, I think it's more appropriate for something that is seen from a distance during play. I have to agree the pace is amazing and I'm a big fan of the blocky turret predators :)

I might have to copy your scheme for my Sisters of Battle project which has stalled through lack of a paint scheme I was happy with. I think a dark feel would suit them well as they go round burning innoce... Oh, I mean heretics :razz:

Goblinlee

I only managed to paint 5 Chaos Marines today because I was out all day!

I still have the Warlord, the Dreadnought, and the Defiler to do, but I have a completely free day tomorrow in which to paint! :)

Today I did also manage to add flagstones to a couple of the bases, the larger unpainted models of the Dreadnought and Warlord on Juggernought. If I get time I will be adding flagstones and rubble to all the bases. :)

Attachments

• Khorne Friday 001 18.jpg
    Khorne Friday 001 18.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 3,790
  • Khorne Friday 002 18.jpg
    Khorne Friday 002 18.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 3,790
World Eaters marines are a classic force to go for, the newer models may not be as classic as the stuff from the earliest chaos renegades era but they are still pretty dynamic looking en masse. Nice atmospheric job on them at your usual astounding pace. ;)

Mr Lee these are the only ones I have painted up, taking my cues from the 2nd edition 40k rulebook gallery.
DSCF1470_zpsa46aabc2.jpg

This is a recent mini I have as the Lord, when I'm financial again I might look into one on an old school Jugger
DSCF1473_zpsf2b5df3e.jpg

Personally I don't go much on the newer loyalist marines but I'm much more tolerant of the Chaos boys.
You probably painted half your army in the time it took me to do these three :lol:

Goblinlee

You are right, Khorne Marines are a classic army to go for, I almost see them as the standard Chaos version as compared to the standard loyalist Ultramarines. I'm pleased with how I am getting on with them. :)

I like your Khorne Marines, they do have that old 2nd Edition feel to them with the brighter red, and the red and green together. I wanted to avoid that and go for something a bit gritter to give that dark brooding feel, and to try that style of painting. Your newer Lord model with the axe is quite nice, something about the helmet and axe that suggests a 'Slaves to Darkness' inspiration.

Like you I prefer the old 1980's Chaos Renegades and I was sorting out my collection of them before this project. It was because I was getting bogged down in sorting them out that I started painting the Khorne Marines in order to get some painting done and back into the flow of painting.

The old Juggernoughts are great, I have the 1990's one which I am painted up for this army, and three of the old 1980's ones with riders. As you may know I had planned to put all my Chaos Renegades into one big Emperor's Children force, including all the Steeds of Slaanesh, but that meant not using some of the Nurgle, Tzeentch, and Khorne models, including the Juggernoughts, which I felt was a waste. So what I have started to do was split the collection into five parts.

I have worked out I can field one complete Emperor's Children Detachment from to 'Slaves to Darkness' book, and one complete World Eaters detachment. With the left over Marines I have start to assemble two smaller forces from the 'Lost and the Damned' book. As there is no upper limit to their armies I plan on 7 Squads for Nurgle, 9 for Tzeentch (both armies squads are only 5 strong), plus any odds and ends.
The Chaos Terminator force will be a Sons of Horus/Black Legion force on thier own based on the Chaos Terminator list in one of the White Dwarfs. That way I can have all the different armies and thier respective paint schemes, and field them as seperate forces, or if gaming the Horus Heresy, then all together.

It has menat that I won't have one huge army, but I think that's worth it as I can still field all the Renegades together for the Heresy, and I get to paint and organise several different type of army. I have also had to add a few normal 1980's marines, but with Chaos backpacks, here and there to bulk out things, but again I think that will fit the Heresy/Early Long War era. I will also still need to pick up a few odds and ends from e-bay, including a fourth Land Raider! :)

I quite like the newer Loyalist Marines, I bought some, but mainly to convert using ForgeWorld bits into a Horus Heresy era army more akin to the artwork in the Collected Visons artbook.

I'd always been set on the 90's Jugger Lord until I saw the older ones...if only I had been born 10 years earlier so I could have had an income and bought all these things I want back in the day!
Khorne and Nurgle have always been my favourites by a country mile, I went with World Eaters as they were the easiest for me to assemble via ebay.

Your project sounds very exciting, particularly the Terminator force- those old Traitor Termies are superb.
When purchasing my armies I usually had grand schemes of one massive force, but when getting down to the nitty gritty I think it is easier and more enjoyable/practical to do several smaller forces rather than one huge lot- I rarely play )and it's 2nd when I do) but I'm finding I really enjoy smaller games, and a mob of 20 Orks sounds brilliant to me in theory but two mobs of 10 is so much more manageable.

Anyways, looking forward to more updates mate :)

Goblinlee

Sunday Update!
Although I achieved less painting than I had hoped today, I did manage to rebase all the of the Marines in the army.
I also painted the Defiler, and the Dreadnought. :)

I only have the Warlord to paint and then the army is completed. However, the painting of the bases still remains to be done. I painted five of the bases up for the blog, but it might take several days to complete them all. I painted the bases Vallejo Stone Grey, and then highlighted them with just white.

So, after painting the Warlord tomorrow, the army will be painted in a week, but the bases might take the rest of the week. :roll:

Attachments

• Khorne Sunday 005 18.jpg
    Khorne Sunday 005 18.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,936
  • Khorne Sunday 006 18.jpg
    Khorne Sunday 006 18.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,936
  • Khorne Sunday 013 18.jpg
    Khorne Sunday 013 18.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,936

Goblinlee

This evening I have finished painting the Warlord on a Juggernought, and as a consequence I have finished painting the army in a week, which is what I set out to achieve. :)

The bases still need to be painted, and the army varnished, but the actual painting is completed. I am very happy with the speed and the resultant look of the army. I went for a dark, moody and gritty feel for the army, and I think I have achieved this with the simple but effective paint scheme.

I will not be doing anymore daily updates for the army while basing, but will add photographs of the based army next sunday on my blog.
:)

Attachments

• khorne week complete 002 18.jpg
    khorne week complete 002 18.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,925
  • khorne week complete 013 18.jpg
    khorne week complete 013 18.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1,925
  • khorne week complete 004 18.jpg
    khorne week complete 004 18.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,925

Goblinlee

Sure no worries,
I'll do proper squad by squad photographs and more detailed shots of some of the Marines and tanks for the blog update next week. :)

smiler

:) congrats on completing such a mammoth project in the time most of us paint one mini and managing to make an awesome looking army!

Goblinlee

Thank you Smiler,
I'm pleased that I managed to get them all finished in a week, it was a fun and useful exercise. I will continue to complete the basing this week and post a more in depth update on my blog at the weekend. :)

Back