Oldhammer Weekender 2014

Orlygg

Right, it appears that someone rang the Foundry recently to enquire about Oldhammer 2014 and was rewarded with a poor reply. In result, Marcus has emailed me with further details about the new location. He states:

"With regard to the actual event: we are happy to go along with pretty much anything you want. The new Foundry premises are not far away from Stoke Hall we should be able to feed you better than in the past. We can do breakfast, lunch and/or a choice of hot dinners according to your preference. We regularly feed over 100 people on our Wars of the Roses tours and have very much better kitchen facilities here in East Stoke than at our old factory. We assume that you would also like a bar. We also have plenty of free and very safe parking on our own lane right next to the new Foundry.

We can provide tables, terrain and space for wargaming. If you have any particular requirements, let us know and we will most likely be able to accommodate you! We hope to display significantly more old Citadel models from my Father's collection than we have managed previously.

Here is a link to the timetable of the excellent bus route between Nottingham, East Stoke and Newark http://www.marshallscoaches.co.uk/links ... am-bus.pdf

If you are coming from Nottingham, the best place to catch a bus from Nottingham to East Stoke is just off the Square: right outside the Games Workshop Shop on Friar Lane. Buses run every hour and the journey from Friar Lane to East Stoke takes 35 minutes. Get off the bus and turn left up School Lane. After a while you will pass the gates of Stoke Hall, keep on going past the church under the bridge and you will find another pair of big gates on your right. We will have put a Foundry sign on the gates by then.

Turn right and head on through the gates and up the drive. To the left you will see the majestic floodplain of the River Trent, to the right you will see a mediaeval church. Foundry is housed through the great big blue doors immediately ahead: we will be putting photos up of our progress installing Foundry in its new home on our website. It's likely that work will still be going on when you get here: but we're sure that it won't cause any problems. You might find it interesting to see our ongoing building work. In the unlikely event that you've find yourselves lost on the way in, don't hesitate to give us a call!

Here is our Google maps address:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir//53.0 ... m0!1m0!3e0

If you are eating in Newark in the evening we recommend the All Spice Indian restaurant (tell them I sent you) and the Castle pub. They are both next to Newark Castle.

Best Western is highly regarded for accommodation.

If you are arriving on the Friday, there's no reason why you shouldn't head over to Foundry at whatever time of the day you fancy. If we are prewarned we will be able to organise food. If you are arriving early and have troops you could even have a game on our tables. We will remain open on the Friday evening if there is sufficient interest.

It will be really good if you (one, some or all of you!) could give me a call at some point to talk about any particular plans or requirements we might help you with, and ask any questions that you might have."

So in order to respond, what requirements do we have. I am assuming that some of us will arrive Friday, so having something to warm up with is going to be useful. Perhaps even the afrernoon considering many are on hols or coming from over seas. Bar and food are essential as I feel it will make things so much easier for all.

What are members thoughts here? It seems Marcus is keen to know our plans. Should we have a spokesman who does all the talking to keep things clear or just have a free for all organisation style?

Thantsants

That all sounds great - I'd imagine it would be easier from Marcus' point of view if we had one spokesman for all of us. However, is that going to be a bit onerous on the lucky volunteer to gather all the necessary information?

I'm equally happy to contact Foundry myself to sort out tables for the Siege and Epic games on Saturday and Sunday. I can also ask folks involved in those games whether they want feeding at various points of the day to give Foundry an idea for numbers for Brekkie, lunch and dinner.

I like the sound of going down on the Friday and getting a game in that afternoon/evening.

My only unknown at the moment is whether to stay in Newark or Nottingham...

Thants;

You've got my vote for being the Epic rep! Can you find out if they have any 6mm terrain (prob not) to supplement our own?

My troupe of warriors has now grown to 3 and we're happy to fit food in where ever!!

I have an epic army to bring (orcs) but what rule set is it?

I have a space marine army with old old models (the newest are those awful statue marines from 3rd ed 40k)

I also have a medium points chaos army.

I also have much in the way of post apoc stuff from myself.

IM happy to play any game except bloodbowl!

Chico

ramshackle_curtis":16x4ql5t said:
I have an epic army to bring (orcs) but what rule set is it?

Rules are Space Marine 2nd Edition, so for you Epic Orks your'll need the Ork and Squat Warlords expansion rules :)

Thantsants

Curtis - is it ok if I sign you up for the Orks on the epic thread?

Thants;

You've got my vote for being the Epic rep! Can you find out if they have any 6mm terrain (prob not) to supplement our own?

My troupe of warriors has now grown to 3 and we're happy to fit food in where ever!!

Right I'll get right onto it. Chico said he was making some scenery and I've got my Epic buildings and some generic stuff that works ok. I'll post more details in our Epic thread.

I'll also get details together for the Siege game.

Chico

Aye I'm doing some terrain, at this point it's just a handful of painted and based buildings. Not sure how much I'm going to have done (It's at ebays whim) and how much I''ll be able to bring up dew to travelling.

Thantsants

No worries Legio - just keep an eye out for a few question on the epic thread.

Sounds good Chico - every little helps. :mrgreen:

Thantsants

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2955

I reckon if we all start posting what we've got with points values then we'll have an idea what we're up against. I'm not too worried about perfectly balanced forces but obviously we want everyone to have a good game - check out my scenario idea as well.

antipixi

Quick questions:

There has been mention of food being available in some of the threads.
  • Which meals are available (Saturday lunch, Saturday tea, Sunday lunch, etc)?
    How do we sign up?
    How much does it cost?
    Who do we pay?

Thanks for any help in this area. I am getting way too excited about this event and this means I want to plan, paint and play NOW! :geek:

Chris
P.S. sorry if this has already been answered. I promise I did have a quick search before posting.

weazil

Hi all

Firstly, apologies for the lack of information on the event. I am absolutely on top of it, but... I'm in the wrong country.
The main problem is that I'm currently in South Africa (only due to return on the 24th) - the internet connection here is awful. I had hoped to be able to continue with the organisation of this (all a little on hold whilst Foundry move) but its proven to be quite hard with this connection.

I'll set up the event registration and 'publicity' when I return.

Antipixi, These are great questions - and no, they've not yet been answered (officially, anyway).

Antipixi":3j9n88mh said:
How do we sign up?

When I return, I will create the BOYL 2014 sign up form. Experience from last year suggested that I didn't need to run it for quite as long as I did last year (6 months+), so I've only planned a 2-3 month lead time. I'll announce when that's available - it should be in the next three weeks. At the end of the day, the signup is only for us to what types of games will be played and how many tables need to be provided.

How much does it cost?

Who do we pay?

There will be no cost for the event. This is another reason I didn't want to run registration for too long - its easy for people to sign up and then just not attend. If we were collecting money, that would be different, but we're not. This is an extension of the generosity of The Foundry, who are offering us the venue for free. Also, as this is not a tournament, there will be no prizes - there might be an exception for the painting elements, but I've not pursued that too hard as there were all sorts of questions about who should be allowed to enter and what the categories should be. I'll start that thread up when I get back from SA.

In terms of food costs, though - The Foundry have the means to provide pub like meals at pub like prices. As an example, Foundry had hot dogs and bacon rolls (I think, I don't remember) for lunch and we had a curry or chilli con-carne for the dinner (which they literally pieced together for us at around 18:00). They are licensed to sell alcohol and had a selection of beers and ales, as well as soft drinks, chocolates and crisps. They also provide tea and coffee. These are all cash transactions only, so do be mindful that you'll want cash on the day.

Marcus has suggested that they will have access to better catering facilities, but I can't bed out what that means to us until I return. I suspect he is referring to the fact that Stoke Hall is already a first class catering site, so they don't have to move anything around and don't have to 'carry stock' as it were. I'd be interested to see what else they might be able to offer as a result of this, though.

I hope that helps.

Back