TheOttoVonBismark's Oldhammer Slann WIP

Thanks for the complements guys, happy you are getting as much of a kick out of these venerable felines as I am :grin: .

@ Aiteal - well done on disturbing Chico with your expressive writing, that is much harder to do than paint Tigers.

@ CBV - I have a couple of those wood elf cats, now that you mention it painting him in a Cringer style might be a good way to represent the Battlecat/Cringer pairing on the tabletop - although I have a cat model courtesy of Cheetor earmarked for this also. I will paint up a proper purple Panthor for this unit in the next iteration of Tigers, which will likely be pretty soon. Theoretically the unit can be as big as 24 strong which is handy as there are loads of pop cats potentially - not that I would wish anyone to ever have to face that death star unit without some sneaky stuff of their own. The irony of fielding such a unit against some Skaven is not lost on me ;). I think that a Hello Kitty Tiger will be next to accompany Panthor.

@ Goblinlee - Painting them as pop-cats is indeed fun and helps in 2 important ways. It breaks up the monotony of the task for one thing as each paint job is mostly unique. It helps to mitigate against the mono pose nature of the models - although there are 2 Pan-Tiger models they are both just variants of one sculpt, although I only have one variant of the model to work with. A key thing in painting them is to keep certain details consistent throughout the unit - the mouth, eyes, claws and bases are done in the same manner on each model no matter the colour scheme. There is no fancy highlighting here, it is just a smooth base colour coat, a wash with Army Painter Quickshade Soft Tone and then when that it dry going over the raised areas with the base tone again. This is all the body really needs to look good on the table, if I started highlighting it in more detail it would probably look worse, I am letting the shading do most of the work for me. The face and claws receive more detailed painting as they are the focal point for the model. The handler was just one of those models I had lying about who seemed to fit at that point in time - that's just how it go's sometimes 8-). It does help that he is posed dynamically - I envision these handlers as having to do a lot of running to keep up with these tigers. We have some synergy going now as your last blog posting gave me motivation to get those cats painted up - motivation is great when you can get some into you. Being in a community of like minded Zoggers sure helps there! ;)

In other Slann related news I am working now on getting the Lizardmen up to full fighting strength of 20 strong. I have found the bits on the current plastic Savage Orks pretty useful. They have some great stone weapons and a cool looking standard which fits nicely with the idea of the Lizardmen being a failry stone age style culture. I will post up some kitbashes soon enough.

It occurred to me that you don't actually need many Slann models to make a Slann army for 3rd Edtion. Basically you need 10 Slann for the minimum Spawn band but you can then take Lizardmen, Trogladytes, Human Slaves, 4 Slann models for handlers with loads of animals. You could probably proxy the current lizardmen cold one riders in there if you wanted to have cavalry (the cold one is more important than the Slann on the top after all). The General could even be a Lizardman if you like. You could also use Pigmy allies - perhaps use skinks here, to bulk out the force even more. You could have a good sized force using less than 20 actual Slann models.

Goblinlee

Excellent, it's good to see many people painting Slann.
You're right, it has occurred to me before that if I was starting up a Slann army now I would'nt need as many miniaures as one would think. Scouts are useful, and if you have point to use up they are pricey. Outpost Wargames do great looking Inca Litters which could house a Slann (they do an Inca Mummies if you wanted an undead Wizard). A couple of independent Level 20 or 25 Lizardman heroes can use up points too, and don't forget bound Dragons.
For the fun of it I am considering doing a small alternative Slann army made using totaly non-GW models s a modelling project, but it will be after the GW army is comlpeted.

I have been painting Jaguar warriors, I have done one test model with the War Suit. I have also painted up an alternative Jaguar Warrior using the similar Slann 'Pulque', and an Eagle standard :)

Attachments

• 9th april 2014 006 paint 33%.jpg
    9th april 2014 006 paint 33%.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 2,304
  • 9th april 2014 002 paint 33 ggggg.jpg
    9th april 2014 002 paint 33 ggggg.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 2,299
  • 9th april 2014 004 paint 33% hhh.jpg
    9th april 2014 004 paint 33% hhh.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 2,299
Jaguar warriors are fun to paint what with all the animal print. Historically they had a lot of variation in the suit colours similar to the other totem warrior castes. The print pattern you are dong looks good but I fear that if you paint the print on the weapons the effect might camouflage them against the suits which would blur the details at a unit level. I would guess that more geometric designs like zig-zag or stripe patterns might work better against a contrasting background colour like red blue or yellow. From the equipment they can get access to they seem to be equipped as a sort of javelin throwing light infantry so I thought I might try to equip them like that whenever I get around to doing some.

Love that demon banner the Eagle Warrior is carrying, it looks like a smiley face with a twirly moustache :lol:

Anyhoo here is the result of kitbashing the old plastic lizardmen (5th Edition?) with the new savage ork kit from GW. I wanted these guys to look like they are carrying double handed weapons so the large stone ork weapons seemed appropriate. The standard works well enough, I wanted them to have a sort of totem rather than a feathery banner:

dsc_0179.jpg

dsc_0181.jpg

dsc_0191.jpg

dsc_0186.jpg

Chico

Have to say I'm not a fan of these (Or any other Lizardman figure new or old) but I am looking forward to seeing how you tackle these painting wise though

Chico":6a00ratp said:
Have to say I'm not a fan of these (Or any other Lizardman figure new or old) but I am looking forward to seeing how you tackle these painting wise though

Not even the rapey ones? ;)

They won't win any beauty contests but a lick of blue paint and as we say in Irenland "sure they will be grand". At 26pts a piece with DHW and Shields they will eat up the points in a roster. No idea if they are worth the point cost but I suppose that immunity to panic and fear with 2 wounds each is not to be sniffed at. In balance I think they may in fact be the best unit available in the entire Slann army list, they are certainly one of the coolest 8-) with their Cool value of 9.

Cheetor suggested that I add some counterweights to the big weapons which I will do next. I will add some greenstuff vines to the bases also for that jungle feel.

Goblinlee

Yes I thought the smiley demon banner looked like he has a moustache too :lol: Looking at it I need to paint the middle of the mouth to show off the teeth better. I think the 'moustache' is meant to be fangs. I painted him up to look like a representation of an Old Slann, with the green for the face, the silver/black for goggles, and the off white for a space helmet.

Concerning the Jaguar warriors, I have been considering painting them up in the variety of colours as the Aztecs did. I am going to paint a few 'normal ones' and then see how they look. Whilst I like the idea of different coloured/patterned weapons, but I have chosen the Jaguar paterned ones to suggest a Slann spritual concept of the the weapon being a manifest representation of the Jaguar claw, a form of Slann smypathetic magic. I have painted the shields to match.

I will be interested to see how our Lizardmen turn out. I am not a great fan of the modern GW Lizardmen models, but these will fit in, and they have some similarites with some of hte older artwork. :)

cheetor

Those are well cool Sean :)

I like the colour of the standard. The combo has a bit of the 'stealer coven about it.

cheetor":1hffs6qj said:
Those are well cool Sean :)

I like the colour of the standard. The combo has a bit of the 'stealer coven about it.

Thanks Paul.

Hehehe yeah that would be the purple creeping in there. Purple is one of those colours I seem to be adding in a lot these days. For a stealer coven, some kind of fetish banner with the bones of a long dead patriarch would be pretty cool, I think there may even be some reference to that kind of thing in the stealer fluff somewhere. I am quite happy with this banner for the Lizardmen as it will give them a different vibe to the Slann regiments who will likely have more traditional 80's style banners - something John Blanche's Slann-like would be what I am aiming for...but we will see how that works out.

cheetor

theottovonbismark":k0zvum2w said:
something John Blanche's Slann-like would be what I am aiming for...but we will see how that works out.

Ah yes, I see. Thatchers skull on fire on a bed of robotic baby bones, that sort of thing.

Vyper

I do like the polearm weapons for the Lizardmen, it looks very fitting.

Are you still going to give them shields and what sort of colour are you going to use for them if so?

Vyper":ctdqgcke said:
I do like the polearm weapons for the Lizardmen, it looks very fitting.

Are you still going to give them shields and what sort of colour are you going to use for them if so?

Thanks Vyper. I am planning to add some shields to the unit when I recover some enthusiasm for them. I am going to use the ones from the Savage Orc kit and keep the colour range in the dark brown similar to the snakeman's shield. I will use the colours from the standard for details on the shields. I have tried to keep the equipment fairly generic looking so that I can use them for either spears or double handed weapons depending on what suits in the long run - I suspect that spears are the way to go.

Thanks Aiteal!

JB Assless had a good point about the texture of the Snakeman making the model look darker than the others. I think I will give him another highlight stage and generally more attention when I come back to do the shields for the unit.

Cheers Paul!

Yep, fresh meat for the grinder you are planning for Oldhammer weekend, have to give that Slann mage a good sendoff. Hopefully I should have about 1500pts or so (without characters and magic weapons) by then. I am going to have to fit them into hand luggage (I just don't trust my minis to baggage handlers) so I will tend towards the high point value stuff, of which Lizardmen are the very epitome in the 3rd ed list.

I will post up a pic of the full 20 strong unit and 4 troglodytes soon.

Golgfag1

Sean,
The Saturday game is a participation game - turn up with an army or group of miniatures of a thousand points (or there abouts) and try to get it to the other end of the table -simply! Just take into account that other players can help or hinder as they see fit and there'll be other nasties turning up as players progress down the table (hopefully should only take an hour or two for a player to travel down the table, thus allowing people time to see and do other things going on during the day).
Sunday a large gentle game for those who may want to take it a bit easy after the excesses of the night before; or it maybe more of the Saturday game, who knows, as things do seem to be in a state of flux at the moment. :lol: :lol: :lol:
As for my preparation - just painting fourteen Slann Coldone riders at the moment, will post pictures in due course. :grin:

See you there

Paul / Golgfag1

14 cold one riders, looking forward to seeing those :o !

1000pts...well 20 Lizardmen account for 40% of that in just their birthday suits. :)

Well I will turn up with a bunch of frogmen and we shall see how it all pans out, looking forward to it! :grin:

Back