BOYL 2014 - Location and Date

weazil

Hi chaps

Apologies for the silence on this - I appreciate that there has been much speculation but no 'official' guidance.

I had a chat to Matt of Foundry today who explained their current situation. Essentially, they are looking to move in the next 10 or so days to the new site. There is plenty of space for us to game at the new site, but apart from toilets, he couldn't describe what other facilities would be available as their primary objective is to ensure their production facilities are installed and operational so they can continue to process orders.

Facts you can bank on, though, are these:

The location of BOYL 2014 will be:

Stoke Hall
East Stoke

- Google maps will locate this address.

The dates of BOYL 2014 will be:

9th/10th August 2014

I don't yet know what the state of the parking or catering will be - they will only know once they're in, but it sounds like we can expect a much more comfortable parking situation than is currently the case.

I hope that helps to clear things up a little. I will let you know when I understand the catering arrangements. I will also seek guidance on places to stay, but bear in mind that Stoke Hall is roughly a half hour drive from Nottingham.

Orlygg

Diane mentioned to be a nearby Travel Lodge/Premier Inn type of place when we spoke at Salute. Though if memory serves, there was plenty of accommodation in Newark last time I visited there.

cheetor

Return flights to East Midlands Airport booked. Awaiting information for accommodation booking. theottovonbismark and I would like to stay in the same hotel that as many of you guys are staying in if possible, to share taxis etc and for swapping stories in the bar etc.

We were thinking that staying in Nottingham central might be the handiest thing for us as we get in eary on Friday and will have time to kill, so we are planning a bit of a tour around some of the haunts (Warlord Games have a visitors centre thing now and a trip to meet some of you guys at Warhammer World the evening before the BOYL event could be good fun we were thinking).

We eagerly await the hive minds decision on accommodation :)

Skarsnik

I think the question of whether most people are staying in Nottingham and 'commuting' to Stoke Hall or staying closer to the venue needs to be decided sooner rather than later so people can get accommodation booked.

I live in Nottingham, so would be happy to drive some people to Stoke Hall and back both days if it helps anyone out.

cheetor

Skarsnik & Old Lead":xb6u87gc said:
I live in Nottingham, so would be happy to drive some people to Stoke Hall and back both days if it helps anyone out.

theottovonbismark and I would be more than happy to contribute to your petrol costs etc if you fancied ferrying us in and out from central Nottingham either/both days Skarsnik.

I feel that central accommodation will be easier for airport and amenities access for the weekend so a lift in the Skarsnik and Old Lead-mobile would be very handy for us :) PM either of us if that suits.

Harry

The question is will be be getting lashed (I mean having a sociable drink) in Nottingham or Newark.

If Nottingham then we would stay in Nottingham for the short stagger from "Monster Kebab" back to hotel at the end of the night. Then take the drive to and from the venue.

If we are going out in Newark then it makes sense to stay in Newark ... I am sure they have some pubs that sell real ale and one or two late night eateries.

My vote is Newark ... so it is a shorter drive to the venue.

Chico

Aye It'll be good to all stay in the same Hotel if only to save on transport, my vote is to stay in Newark and take over a small local pub so I can get my drink on.. I mean..er..er.. I don't drink honest ;)

Vyper

I'd love to come up, but it's a fair journey by train (4ish hours) so I'd likely make my way to Newark on Friday night. IF there is an agreed upon hotel and people who can provide transport to the event itself and back that would be amazing! :grin:

bug16

Hmm.. I *might* not be able to make this at this location. I can only make the Saturday, due to other commitments, and 'er indoors will want the car at the weekend (we're one of those weird couples who only own one car and not two) so I was intending to train it but the train to there then taxi looks like a right PITA. I'll have to have a good think about the logistics for this. :/

lenihan

I'm also getting the train in. I was initially very disspirited by the location, I'll admit. But after none other than Anthony Ackland on the oldhammer facebook page told me that it's not THAT inaccessible, I've been looking into the buses etc. and I do I think that it's actually quite possible to get there by public transport.

Skarsnik

Ok, so I looked into a few hotel possibilities.

Obviously there are lots in Nottingham, so if there is a consensus towards staying there, I can post some details and tell you the places to avoid :)

There seems to be a real lack of hotels in or around Newark with rooms free for the weekend, but there is a Travelodge and a Premier Inn.

The Travelodge is 7 miles away from Stoke Hall, on the opposite side of Newark. The upside is that it's dirt cheap (£62 for 2 nights (Fri and Sat) at the time of writing this. This downside is that it's a Travelodge, and therefore will be a shit hole. Plus it's around 2-3 miles outside Newark itself should we wish to go drinking there. So would involve an awful lot of taxis between the hotel, Stoke Hall and the pub.

The Premier Inn is about 6 miles from Stoke Hall. The upside is that Premier Inns are much nicer than Travelodges (although still pretty basic), and it's slightly closer to Newark (about 1.5 miles I'd say, going from their shitty map) so the pub might be within walking distance. The downside is that it's much more expensive (£129 for the 2 nights at the time of writing).

Both the prices quoted above are per room, so two people sharing could split that between them.

Leadpest

I am down for whatever plus I'll be there for both days and driving so available to give lifts! Obviously having transport and staying in Nottingham does not bother me if that's what the masses decide. It would be great to be near to all of the bars though.. my other half she went to uni in Notts and loved it. Are Rock City and Rescue Rooms still around?!... Plus Chico promised Jaeger but couldn't make it to Salute :)

Skarsnik

Leadpest":22w6y6cz said:
I am down for whatever plus I'll be there for both days and driving so available to give lifts! Obviously having transport and staying in Nottingham does not bother me if that's what the masses decide. It would be great to be near to all of the bars though.. my other half she went to uni in Notts and loved it. Are Rock City and Rescue Rooms still around?!... Plus Chico promised Jaeger but couldn't make it to Salute :)

Yep. Rock City and Rescue Rooms are both still going strong. Although I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for all that now :razz:

Chico

Leadpest":38aazxzf said:
Plus Chico promised Jaeger but couldn't make it to Salute :)

Ohh ohhh a Jager-challenge eh? my record is one of the large bottles.. I did end the night falling over and puking mind you..

Well if people don't mind giving me lifts I don't mind if people decide to bed down in notts, now just to convince Oggy to pick me up from Watford.. Maybe i should offer sex favours ;)

Harry

Vyper":340argp7 said:
I'd love to come up, but it's a fair journey by train (4ish hours) so I'd likely make my way to Newark on Friday night. IF there is an agreed upon hotel and people who can provide transport to the event itself and back that would be amazing! :grin:
Get yourself as far as Cam and you can have a lift. I will be driving up with Norse.

Harry

Skarsnik & Old Lead":48t15yob said:
Ok, so I looked into a few hotel possibilities.

Obviously there are lots in Nottingham, so if there is a consensus towards staying there, I can post some details and tell you the places to avoid :)

There seems to be a real lack of hotels in or around Newark with rooms free for the weekend, but there is a Travelodge and a Premier Inn.

The Travelodge is 7 miles away from Stoke Hall, on the opposite side of Newark. The upside is that it's dirt cheap (£62 for 2 nights (Fri and Sat) at the time of writing this. This downside is that it's a Travelodge, and therefore will be a shit hole. Plus it's around 2-3 miles outside Newark itself should we wish to go drinking there. So would involve an awful lot of taxis between the hotel, Stoke Hall and the pub.

The Premier Inn is about 6 miles from Stoke Hall. The upside is that Premier Inns are much nicer than Travelodges (although still pretty basic), and it's slightly closer to Newark (about 1.5 miles I'd say, going from their shitty map) so the pub might be within walking distance. The downside is that it's much more expensive (£129 for the 2 nights at the time of writing).

Both the prices quoted above are per room, so two people sharing could split that between them.
Well for me the £62 shit hole is the obvious choice.
The trick is to get so pissed that you could sleep in a cave then it really does not matter where you end up. :grin:

Also on what chuffin' planet is 1:5 miles walking distance. :grin: :grin: :grin:

"TAXI"

Vyper

Harry":m67qeywv said:
Vyper":m67qeywv said:
Get yourself as far as Cam and you can have a lift. I will be driving up with Norse.

Cam as in Cambridge? Unfortunately it takes almost as long to get there as it does to get to Newark! But thank you very much for the offer. :)

Back