The "How to do Oldhammer" Thread

Aiteal

Zhu Bajie":2ommtwug said:
cheetor":2ommtwug said:
Oh yeah, I meant to tell you that there was a copy of this and a receipt for a three year subscription in that last box of miniatures that you sent me. Ill get it in the post ASAP:
anorak.jpg

Epic thread derailment. Anorak is great, and so is OKIDO magazine...

okido01.jpg

Looks like one or two subscriptions for my daughter are in order :)

MoodyGit

Unfortunately my respect for good minis was poor back then, I have sacrificed many slaanesh figs in my time,

And my colour choice was pretty awful as well

Apologies for any migraines caused. :grin:

Chico

Is that a Blood Angel force turned Slaanesh? I did the same thing but turned Khorne many years ago heh

MoodyGit

Close, the force is a second/third edition emperors children with the RT's as veterans and the blood angel mix was my possessed unit. They had a rhino too, sorry meant to say coffin.

Blue in VT

I think those renegades are quite superb...pretty much the description of "quality old school" in my book!

Cheers,

Blue

Asslessman

MoodyGit":dzxrcz9o said:
Unfortunately my respect for good minis was poor back then, I have sacrificed many slaanesh figs in my time,

We all did it but you sur emade some tasteful models !

MoodyGit":dzxrcz9o said:
And my colour choice was pretty awful as well
Your colours were brilliant ! I really like the "brown wash over white" bone guy, he looks fab and your pink marine is classic as can be ! If I were you I wouldn't want to strip those, they're just too good as they are.
I love the centurius/renegade conversion it would be quite a pricey one nowadays ;)

Suber

I can tell for sure that we all have desecrated valuable models back in our days ;) Well, that and painting blood spilled all over to hide errors :roll: That's a classic too.

Blue in VT

Blue in VT":1e88izfc said:
I think those renegades are quite superb...pretty much the description of "quality old school" in my book!

Cheers,

Blue

I edited the above so that it actually made sense!

Stupid phone.

Blue

phreedh

twisted moon":1mf63rnk said:
Just John":1mf63rnk said:
You can also just upload an attachment.

excellent; that is what i'll try and do.
[a few moments later] hmm, except my files are too big.
Two things:
Crop and resize to 1024x768 pixels or something like that.
Save as a JPG with a slightly lower than max quality setting

If you have no software to do this, may I recommend Paint.net if you're on a PC... I'm sure it can be done in MS Paint too (if it's still around in Windows).

Just John

phreedh":1mbqrbw1 said:
If you have no software to do this, may I recommend Paint.net if you're on a PC... I'm sure it can be done in MS Paint too (if it's still around in Windows).

I'll second that, Paint.net is the way to go, simple and free.

Asslessman

This challenge is taking a loooot of time alongside the others but one step after the other...
Grey zeithal spray over a black prime for warriors and lord, bases and metallics base for everyone so far.

SS851822.JPG

SS851823.JPG

SS851824.JPG

phreedh

Nice stuff, JB! I'm getting there on my other 2 out of 3 total trial pieces. Highlighting started. Won't bother with a pic though. Have started base coating another 3. Think I'll do them in batches of threes of sixes. Confusing? Well, there are 18 models. 6 get one skin tone, 6 get another and finally... 6 gets a third. Just three different shades of yellow but still. Within each set of six, I'll paint the red in one tone one three and in another tone on three. Each set of three are one of each sculpt. That leads to each sculpt only appearing in one skin and cloth tone combination each. I'm guessing I'm putting way too much thought into this. :grin:

twisted moon

phreedh":2q2pnjz3 said:
Two things:
Crop and resize to 1024x768 pixels or something like that.
Save as a JPG with a slightly lower than max quality setting

thanks for all the advice, everyone. here goes another attempt.

i've been collecting and painting dwarves with muskets for use in flintloque and stange grogge and well as warhammer for a few years. then I found a blister of the wessex games panzerfaust gnome foreign legion (http://www.blease.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ ... auste.html) at recon (http://wdwgamers.weebly.com/recon.html) a while ago, which painted up very easily, and have seen some action in a variety of games including, most recently, leviathan.
i managed to add a full pack of their gnome Infantry and five gnome chasseurs at border reiver (http://borderreiverswargamessociety.co.uk/show/) in 2012, making a total of 19 figures for £8. that seemed to fit the criteria for this experiment, so i had a look for another couple of figures to round out the total to the 21 required. A trent miniatures (http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=60&page=1) dwarf wizard from a pack of six for £6 bought at sheffield triples (http://www.sheffieldwargamessociety.co. ... 4554357668) a few years ago seemed like a good leader, and a dwarf thunderer standard bearer, purchased from gateshead gaming (http://www.gatesheadgaming.co.uk/index.php) figure bins for £1.50 or less at another unremembered show rounded out the numbers for a total under £11.

the intention was to feild the wizard as a solo character;

... five of the troopers as a skirmishing shield,

... and the rest, it seems, i will have to show in another post.

Attachments

• Gnome blisters cropped.jpg
    Gnome blisters cropped.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,960
  • Dwarf Wizard cropped.jpg
    Dwarf Wizard cropped.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,960
  • Gnome skirmishers cropped.jpg
    Gnome skirmishers cropped.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 1,960

twisted moon

the remaining fifteen troopers, including standard bearer, i intended to field as a regular line regiment.

somehow, though, I was not inspired, and the more i thought about it the more i decided that panting these in such a fashion as to fit in with my existing forces, would mean that they did not present a consistant unit for 'how to do oldhammer'. as such i never got started.
then last week, whilst travelling back on a train i remembered another set of figures i had had sitting around for many years, that would also nicely add to an existing army, and i decided that this was the way to go instead. work has duly begun on these and is progressing reasonably well, which I will share another time.

Attachments

• Gnome line cropped.jpg
    Gnome line cropped.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,957

phreedh

Bummer, I really looked forward to seeing that wizard painted. Glad we could help getting the pics up!

Next, try to get the pics a bit sharper. Three tips:
- Better lighting
- Steady the camera by resting it on a pile of books or similar (if you don't have a tripod) and also used the timed release (if available).
- Don't crop the full resolution image, instead resize the image first - shrinking it a bit (25%, or 50% - depending on the size of the original image in pixels). Takes the edge of any blurriness.

phreedh":2sn1kaln said:
Bummer, I really looked forward to seeing that wizard painted. Glad we could help getting the pics up!

- Better lighting
- Steady the camera by resting it on a pile of books or similar (if you don't have a tripod) and also used the timed release (if available).
- Don't crop the full resolution image, instead resize the image first - shrinking it a bit (25%, or 50% - depending on the size of the original image in pixels). Takes the edge of any blurriness.

Good advice from Phreedh there. Also see if your camera has a "Macro Mode" function for focus at close quarters. I find Google Picassa to be an excellent application for photo preparation that is free, powerful and easy to use.

My effort for the challenge sits at about 80% completion...just have to get this Knavecon 2014 event out of the way and I can dive back in and finish off some Estalian Cabelleros!

Blue in VT

Agreed on all those tips. And would add that in general for web posting a pictures does not need to be any larger 800-1000 pixels at 72dpi...thats a fairly small file.

Back on topic! My painting of my Mustertroops/Imperial guardsmen is progressing well...but as I will be using them in the Lead Painters League over on LAF I am not allowed to post pictures until they have a chance to compete....so you'll have to wait a few weeks.

Keep up the good work all!

Cheers,

Blue

twisted moon

phreedh":avrbeu55 said:
Bummer, I really looked forward to seeing that wizard painted.

well, i have no particular painting itinery this year having burnt myself out a bit on skaven/ratmen/ratussians in 2013, so i'll see if i can motivate myself to paint him after finishing the 'how to do oldhammer' contribution. however, you might not feel the same way once you get a decent photo of my painting!

phreedh":avrbeu55 said:
- Better lighting

i took these on my tab, which hasn't helped, but was the only realistic way i was going to take in progress photos. however, i see that others manage perfectly servicable photo's with their 'phones, so there is obviously a major element of operator error on my part. i'll continue in the same vein for the in progress shots of the new project (although, i'm not managing a very consistent job so far), but will try and use a proper camera to take photo's of the finished figures once they're all done.

Back