The "How to do Oldhammer" Thread

phreedh

whiskey priest":1hj5tzzi said:
He looks bloody good! I might have to try out this method. It can't be as simple as you make it look!
No man, it IS that simple. =) Between the previous post and the last I did:
- drybrush Vallejo Tinny Tin on all metal
- drybrush Vallejo Boltgun Metal
- drybrush Citadel Mithril Metal
- wash the whole miniature in ample amounts of Devlan Mud
- drybrush metals with a little Mithril Metal
- highlight skin with flat base colour, then base colour + bleached bone
- highlight tunic with base colour and bleached bone
- pick out the eyes and teeth with bleached bone, dot with black.
- highlight black and grey pieces with black and bleached bone (one level)

And cheers Thants, you really should have a look at getting some. The details are soft (where are this guy's ears?!) at times, but good enough for the price. =)

Chico

Thantsants":3klgtany said:
Nice stuff there Phreedh - getting quite tempted to invest in a big bag o' placcy Lund inspired Orcs myself...

£7 for 50 it's hard to say no really. I'm almost at the point of getting a bag or 3...

cheetor

Those clunky old plastics sat in a box for years before I sent them to you Mattias. I get a kick out of seeing them get some attention, particularly when they look as good as that one does, its great.

phreedh

cheetor":29h3yt0f said:
Those clunky old plastics sat in a box for years before I sent them to you Mattias. I get a kick out of seeing them get some attention, particularly when they look as good as that one does, its great.
Yeah mate, I'm glad to finally repay you with a painted example displayed on the internets! =) And once again, many thanks for the kind contribution to my attempts of ruining my son's chances with the ladies by grooming him to become a complete nerd. :grin:

I haven't decided where to go with the basing. My WHFB-based minis are a totally discrete sub-project so I won't use my ordinary basing recipe. I did the dwarfs with a light earth tone, black rims and a little static grass:
P1110183.jpg

Since the hobgobs will go into a pool for creating direct opposition to the "good guys army" I want to do the base different enough for them to stand apart. I'm thinking dark gray with white highlights. Will see how that works out.

Thantsants

Oops - those Dwarves have just reminded me I haven't posted the ones I've had set aside for you for ages! There's also a spare Heroquest Dwarf if you wanted him for a champion. :oops:

Nice work Phreedh. I have been familiar with those models since I started playing WHFB in the early 90's and I ain't never in all that time seen one painted that well!

cheetor

phreedh":1j9bzfx2 said:
And once again, many thanks for the kind contribution to my attempts of ruining my son's chances with the ladies by grooming him to become a complete nerd. :grin:

Id say that you would have managed fine at that by yourself Mattias. You arent pinning that one on me ;)

Oh yeah, I meant to tell you that there was a copy of this and a receipt for a three year subscription in that last box of miniatures that you sent me. Ill get it in the post ASAP:

anorak.jpg

Meanwhile, Im off to sort my spare slotta bases by year of manufacture.

Aaaaanyway, those perfectly synchronised dwarfs still look good. I hope to see some Stilburg batreps again soon. I dont think that I ever saw that nice little roadsign before.

phreedh

theottovonbismark":1weforq9 said:
Nice work Phreedh. I have been familiar with those models since I started playing WHFB in the early 90's and I ain't never in all that time seen one painted that well!
Cheers OVB, all too kind! It's funny what happens when one tries to be as quick about it as possible, eh? To tell the truth, I fantasized about painting other miniatures whilst painting these. :oops:

cheetor":1weforq9 said:
Id say that you would have managed fine at that by yourself Mattias. You arent pinning that one on me ;)
All too true... and part of that is probably my frame of reference. For instance, whenever I hear or see the word "anorak" my mind shouts "Dwayne Dibbley!". :lol:

cheetor":1weforq9 said:
I hope to see some Stilburg batreps again soon.
Ha, yes - me too! We haven't played a game in two years or something - unless we count the drunken stupor attempt a few months ago. I'll bug my cousin to see if he's up for it.

The road sign have been around for ages btw, it's part of a forest stand. It can probably be spotted in several of my LPL entries or other scenic shots on the blog.

cheetor

phreedh":2svfftyj said:
The road sign have been around for ages btw, it's part of a forest stand. It can probably be spotted in several of my LPL entries or other scenic shots on the blog.

Its cute. There is something romantically whimsical about miniature road signs and other everyday street items that dont generate "cover" (and therefore rarely get bothered with) that I particularly like. The font/style on that one is great too.

Zhu Bajie

cheetor":eg10rc8j said:
Oh yeah, I meant to tell you that there was a copy of this and a receipt for a three year subscription in that last box of miniatures that you sent me. Ill get it in the post ASAP:
anorak.jpg

Epic thread derailment. Anorak is great, and so is OKIDO magazine...

okido01.jpg

twisted moon

if someone can tell me how to post 'photo's (that aren't on the interweb), i`ll share my original idea for this, and the subsequent change of plan.

You'll need to upload your pics to a hosting website like photobucket or something similar. That'll allow you to copy the URL for the picture. When you make a post click on the image icon and it'll ask you to paste the URL in between the tags. You can also host the images on a blog if you've got one and do the same. Hope that helps.

Just John

You can also just upload an attachment. Below the submit button there are 2 tabs 'options' and 'uload attachment' Click the latter and you can browse to your pc and upload from there.

Grumdril

I've now got my hands on the hobgoblins for this project (shown with Harboth and a C36 Hobgoblin for size reference) -

hobgobsRanked1.jpg

More waffling over on my blog.

I'm looking forward to getting started on these, although a bit unsure whether I can bring to life what's in my head. At least a week until I can get started on them, as I've orcs to finish first, so don't expect to see WIP any time soon :(

Paul / Grumdril

MoodyGit

Have tried sorting through some bits to start up this project and I didn't realise how many models I have 'borrowed' parts from. If only they were still in original form.
Well apologies to the lovers of original form,
Spot the parts time
[url][/url]

ardyer

Re: The "How to do Oldhammer" Thread

Chico":3k44s043 said:
There's some great crazy conversions in that picture, I like it :)

Agree with Chico (now I have to go scrub myself clean), but those are some awesome old school conversions. I especially love the marine in the back left corner!

Erny

MoodyGit":2fjfblos said:
Have tried sorting through some bits to start up this project and I didn't realise how many models I have 'borrowed' parts from. If only they were still in original form.
Well apologies to the lovers of original form,
Spot the parts time
[url][/url]

You have the body (scorpion with marine on top) and head (on top of Sergeant Centurius I believe) of a fiend there if you wanted to reunite them.

Back