D&D ADVENTURE! Quest for the Abbot's Cheese

Seu read his way through 11 pages of mind-numbing boredom related to all the many uses for the widely regarded Reg'lar Cheese. Bufo leaned over to see what he was looking at and made a scoffing noise.

"I wouldn't have wasted so many pages on that boring cheese" he muttered, crumbs of something pungent tumbling from his lips and scattering all over the page the Paladin was trying to read.

Asslessman

Next one was the Shorelake Holley Roll, it almost sounded as "Lakeshore Holly Roll", "why not give it a read?" he thought.
He considered telling Bufo to stop spitting on him but he refrained, sensing the halfling would be too pleased to annoy him...

Annoyed that Seu clearly wasn't annoyed by his behavior, the halfling decided to go find someone else. He avoided Rambulge and his weird croaking pants and latched on to Robin, the ranger.

"Whatcha doin' Robbie? " he asked through another mouthful of ill-gotten victuals.

Penddraig

Robin looked over at the Halfling, amused by how much the small rogue could fit inside his punches and in his mouth at the same time. Looking back over at the door, Robin sighed. "You know, this is why I live in the wilds. I hate the fact that as soon as you enter civilised areas, there are places you cannot get into despite wanting to. Bufo, you seem to be good with locks and doors, can' t you pull that goblin knocker off or something to get us in?"

Robin glared at the smirking knocker in annoyance. "I hate goblins," he muttered.

Asslessman

Bufo's last Belch made purposely to annoy him while he was trying to praise, was enough...
"BUFO ! Will you stop being a nuisance for the Lady's Sake? And for how long have you been eating now and where did you get all of this? You've eaten about 5 days worth of food for the 5 of us ! Don't you get that if we are to make it to the end we have to share everything?"

Bufo nearly jumped out of his skin at the Paladin's sudden outburst.

"Alright alright, keep your tin pants on, i was going to share, honest," lied the little fellow. Walking up to the table, he upended his satchel onto it's rough surface.

20140220_101216-1_zps91ebc3ab.jpg

Amongst the odd coins, sling bullets and lint, were three delectable cheeses...

"Happy now??"

Asslessman

LIke a maniac, Seu unwrapped the NOT (Nouveau Oriolles Taupinière) cheese , it had to be it, he would tell the name to the goblin face and would feed it with the cheese...

"Nouveau Oriolles Taupinière!!" The Paladin roared, the sudden revelation causing him to become manic. Before waiting for a response, Seu crammed a handful of the delicious cheese into the door knocker's mouth.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" cried the halfling in horror.

"Paffwed acfepted" mumbled the door knocker around a mouthful of cheese. The magic door rumbled open, revealing a round room bathed in golden light. A shaft of morning sunshine illuminated a round platform in the centre of the room that had on it a small chest, a sword and a pile of coins and gems. Three pillars stood against the round wall, each bearing an odd sculpture that looked like a clay urn with a staff poking out, pointing to the centre of the room. The floor was made of many irregularly shaped amber coloured tiles. The wall opposite had a doorway and a heavy iron grill door mounted in it.

20140218_123333-1_zps3fa2cfd7.jpg

The halfling wiped his tears and gazed upon the treasure in the middle of the room. "Shiny..."

Asslessman

Rubbing his chin Seu said, "I do not know why but I sense something strange in here, the gold and chest certainly do attract us to get in the centre of this room but I wouldn't feel confident gettin in the middle with these 3 staffs pointing at me...
If our magic users can't detect any trap, I'd be curious to know what lies in those urns... maybe by staying close to the walls, one could sneak to one of them to check? We could also try to throw something in the room to see what happens.
Th fact there is light here and that this room seems somehow more civilised, I sense we're going to face more dangerous foes than mere goblins from now..."

Penddraig

Robin looked at the Paladin. "How did you..? How did you know ..? Never mind. I agree though, this room is clearly a trap of some sort. Bufo, can you detect what type of trap it might be. Rambulge, have you ever seen anything like this before?"

Bufo chewed his lip nervously. That the room was trapped seemed abundantly clear - and traps weren't exactly his forte.
"I can try to find the traps, but it's going to be a slow process. Each of those floor tiles need to be examined carefully to see if there are pressure plates, and that's just for starters. If only there was some spell we could use to find traps..."

weazil

Bari peered over the shoulders of the assembled party as they took in the strange new room.

He laughed as he listened to the conversation, his shoulders rocking with his deep mirth. "I dunno, man. We got this portal back at the temple, right, which allows us to see into some different dimensions. It's called Yutchoob. Most of the time we lower priests ain't allowed in there, but this one time, we heard all this laughin' coming from the portal chamber. Man, the Love Canon and the other high priests were laughing their assess off. They showed us the vision - and it was this little hobbit exploring this dungeon, where he set off a trap. So the trap launches him into the air, where another one whacks him down the corridor and he flies off into this room, setting off one trap after another each time he landed." Bari wiped a tear from his eye as his laughter subsided. "That was some funny shit, man!"

"Doesn't sound very funny," Bufo said, squinting up at the priest.

"What happened to the halfling?" Robin asked.

"The hobbit? Oh, he was eviscerated! Totally shredded."

"Charming," muttered the halfling under his breath.

"Anway, the point I was quietly wandering towards was that Jordann might be able to help us find these traps, see? Let's not just toss Bufo in there at least until my sweet lady love has a look see, okay?"

Bari will cast Find Traps

Rambulge peered inside the room from over the shoulders of his companions, glad the door was finally open- all the guessing and the halflings antics had slowly been giving his head a dull ache!
He felt a little guilty he hadn't offered much in the way of assistance, but he let himself off this time.

"I don't really like the looks of it" he confided to the Ranger. He began to cast a spell to determine if the room contained some form of enchantment, which considering the door knocker- was probable.

Bari made some intonations and blinked three times. On the third blink his eyes lit up with divine flame as the power of Jordann gave him sight beyond the mundane. What he was looking at now was reality overlayed with clouds of intention, in his case, malicious intentions. He saw each flagstone as a part of a complex whole, a devious trap with only one safe route. "Hey little man," Bari murmered softly to the halfling as he concentrated; "the path is narrow -get a piece of that charcoal and get ready to listen close..."

It took twenty minutes, but the halfling finally marked out the safe route with the charcoal stick on each non-trapped paving stone. The route circled around the room, stopping at two pillars, the door on the opposite side, and the platform in the middle. The halfling inspected each thing in turn - the pillars were so far inert; he wasn't game to touch them. The treasure was a disappointing illusion, and the door was sealed with a tough-looking lock.

20140221_111727-1_zps0a786c14.jpg

The safe route is marked in green.

While Bufo worked, Rambulge focused on energies of his own, trying to divine any magical emanations - he was not disappointed. The pillars positively glowed, with the energies focused on the odd shaped staves pointing into the centre of the room. They gave off a strong aura of a charm spell, with a weaker aura of evokation - it was the same resonance as the first ring they had found in the orc room, a hint of destructive power. The illusion in the centre of the room proved to be just that, and nothing more sinister.

The halfling tried his luck at picking the lock, but it was too complex for one of his skill level, and after his third failed attempt he kicked at the iron grill door, causing a shower of mortar and rust to tumble down. He gave the door a good hard shake - despite it's solid construction, the hinges had corroded and the stonework was weakened with age - with enouh muscle, it might just pop out of it's frame!

Penddraig

Robin looked around the room from his position by the doorway. This was why he hated civilisation: traps, traps and no room to move around. He eased the fetching of an arrow between his fingers as he nocked it to his bow. He didn't trust this cavern and was sure something was going to leap out at any moment.

Seeing Bufo hanging of the iron grille and shaking it like a terrier that had caught a rat, Robin turned to Seu and Rambulge. "Maybe you two could help him with that while I keep an eye out. He might burst something if he's not careful. Bari, what do you think these staffs do? Burn people who touch that treasure? Teleport them away? Any ideas?"

Rambulge nodded in agreement and began precariously making his way along the path to where Bufo struggled with the iron door.

He knew it would be just his luck to slip up here and end up impaled by a trap.

What would his mum say about that?

Asslessman

Seu nodded, he would help removing the door.

I'll have to be away for a couple of days , I'll be back tomorow night, feel free to use Seu in Auto pilot or as you see fit considering his abilities (and hot-blooded humanitarian zealot self). Have fun gents ;)

weazil

"Thanks, baby, I sure" Bari whispered under his breath as he watched the rest of the party navigate the stones safely.

He turned to the ranger, stroking his beard. "I dunno, man. But if I was some evil cheese mongering dungeon master, I'd be inclined to have all the doors shut and summon a horde of monsters. At a push, I might teleport the victim into a chamber filled with monsters. There'd definitely be monsters, is my point. They want to be careful they don't tumble over backwards and get some unwanted attention."

The two watched the others jostling about on the narrow walkway, trying to find how best to exert force without tumbling over.

Seu and Rambulge wobbled their way over the safe bricks, heading towards the alcove where Bufo was wrestling with the iron grill door. They were about halfway along the narrow path, which almost seemed to have been designed by someone Bufo's size, when a click, a hum, and a sudden jolt caused them to look about fretfully. Then all three pillars activated barely a split second later, and the heroes in the room found their feet held by some powerful, invisible force - they were stuck!

The Paladin threw Bufo a furious look. "What have you done halfling?"

Bufo looked terrified - "It wasn't me!! Blame Rambulge, he's always falling in stuff!"

The cleric and the ranger were unaffected by the gripping force which seemed to have a radius inside the room only. The cleric looked somewhat smug, even though the goblin door remained open and no monsters came flooding in.

"What are we going to do!" wailed the halfling, then remembered he had plenty of food in his pouches, so calmed down somewhat.

Then, the illusion of treasure in the middle of the room swirled, and flickered, before being replaced by a strange bluish cloud or fog. Swirling amongst the foggy emanation were tortured faces, silently howling, their big eyes staring sightlessly in a way that made Bufo's spine chill. He ate some cheese quickly to settle his nerves. The fog began to clear, revealing the figure of...a...

...mouse?

Bufo stared. It was some kind of mouse-man, no taller than the halfling himself, standing before them on the platform in the centre of the room wearing flowing purple robes and flashy jewels at his his wrist and on his finger. He had a wispy white beard that hung in a plait. It stared about it at the various adventurers, before chuckling in a way that was not reassuring.

"Greetings my dear heroes," the mouse began. "I want to start by commending you for working out the password and finding your way to my inner-sanctum. You must truly be heroes of quality..." the creature's voice was heavy with sarcasm. "It's a pity that this is the end of the road for you, but every journey must end somewhere, and for you this is the end of the road for you... erm... i mean...damn, i screwed up my speech already! Ah stuff it! You there!" he pointed to the halfling, "Thankyou so much for your help stealing the Abbot's cheese, i couldn't have done it without your talents! I knew you found my ring when i lost track of you in the corridors, but it had served it's purpose, so no matter. I don't suppose you recovered my amulet as well, did you? From the ogre? It's very valuable, in fact, i would even consider sparing your lives if you hand it back? Hmm? No?" the mouse glanced around, before his gaze fell on Rambulge. "Ah, I see, smashed it, didn't you? Yes yes, don't deny it i can read your petty mind, I know your thoughts... death it is then, for all of you."

At that moment the halfling cried a mighty battle cry ("Ayeeeee!") and sent a sling bullet whizzing towards the mouse-man. It passed right through him and out the other side - more illusions! The halfling shrugged, it was worth a try!

"Spare your puny bullets halfling, they are of no use here. I am a master of illusion, as well as a psychik beyond compare! Do you know who i am?!" The party shrugged non-noncommittally, for in truth they had no clue. "I am Waldemar Cheesethrane, and I have searched these many years for a path to divinity, a gateway to the gods, so that I may ask them in person why they cursed me to walk the realms as a hideous rodent, a detestable mouse-thing, a genius mind in the body of a wretched pest! Do you have any idea to what lengths i have gone, and what lengths i am prepared to go? Of course you don't, your minds are a bubbling morass of half-formed thoughts and ill-conceived notions. None of you can understand."

"I know what it's like to be small and misunderstood" announced the halfling. "Everywhere i go i am denounced as a thief and a liar, on account of my being a halfling, and alive!"

"No," frowned the mouse, "it's because you are a thief and a liar, and would steal anything that was not nailed down, and anything that was, and also, the nails!"

"Oh yeah," considered the halfling, and let the mouse continue.

"I searched all the lands for a trace of divinity made real that I could take, and use for my plans. I set up my laboratory here, in an old abandoned mine, and gathered my followers from the dregs of existence. My ogre was a wonderful find - stupid, as all their kind are, but all the easier to control because of it. I used his simple mind, practiced working magic through his large, clumsy hands. My goblins pillaged far and wide to gather enough food to keep him fed, for his appetite was voracious and unending. He proved an excellent guardian, along with my hounds... do you know how long it takes to train a hellhound not to squirt flaming piss all over the good rugs? Do you? What a waste... This whole enterprise of secrecy has taken months of my time. There were many obstacles..." here he glared at Robin, the ranger. "You, ranger, you were a thorn in my side for weeks, tracking my goblins about, threatening to discover my lair. I had to burn down a whole forest just to throw you off the trail." The mouse's eyes glinted evilly. "Do you remember that fire, ranger?" he spat. "So many little woodland creatures scorched to a crisp. Some of them were rare, creatures of great beauty..." He paused to savor the moment.

"On one occasion," continued Waldemar, "whilst researching my way across the land, I came to a small town full of the usual bumpkin peasants. I had heard rumours of a boy who could practise magic without the use of books and study - I thought perhaps he was the sign I was looking for. It turned out he was noone, just some snot-nosed hedge-wizard. I contemplated killing him just for being useless, but instead I framed him for some petty crimes and had him chased from the village!" The wicked mouse cackled loudly. "Does that story sound familiar to you, BOY?" the mouse looked squarely at Rambulge. "The lad's own mother didn't believe him, how sad! Pathetic, and sad, hahaha!"

He turned to Bari next, a look of puzzlement on his whiskery face. "You, I thought long dead. I had the goblins bring you here alive, in the hope that you could aid me in my task, but you proved... unsuitable." The mouse shuddered a little. Bari had a sudden ghost of a recollection, something about a conversation involving a rodent, a pipe, and his old mentor Reichhardt Jeer. The moment passed quickly, but he could almost feel his fingers caressing spiky little whiskers as a prayer to Jordann hummed on his lips.

"Does this story have a point, mouse, or do you just like the sound of your own voice?" grumbled Bufo.

"Ha!" snorted Waldemar indignantly. "Well, it was entirely by accident that I stumbled upon the story of the Abbot's Cheese... quite by accident." The mouse fixed his beady gaze on Sir Antheus. "I was passing by a village stricken by fever. There were holy men there, members of your order, Paladin. Your dear Abbot was with them. They were laying their hands upon the filthy, disease-ridden peasants, healing them with their gods-gotten powers. I read their minds but fleetingly, for holy men seldom have thoughts that interest me, but the Abbot had something pressing upon his mind... a certain ritual... a rite kept secret even from you, noble knight. Do you know that which I speak of?"

The Paladin grimaced.

"That's right... the rite of the Abbot's Cheese. But the origin of the cheese, that is a well-guarded secret, known only to the Abbot... and ME!" He chuckled at the indignation on Seu's face. "But you know the secret too, don't you Paladin? You've always known, ever since you were a lad, having nightly dreams of your most beautiful lady. For you see, the Abbot's Cheese IS made from her divine milk, and I shall tell you how. Once a year, on the night of the Silent Vigil, when all the bravest knights gather around the door of the Abbot's chamber and stand guard till dawn, the lady herself descends from the palace of the gods and takes the form of a sacred cow... the Abbot takes her most divine teat in hand and squeezes forth precious milk into a golden pail. That very milk is used to make the Abbot's Cheese, and it contains her divine essence within - the cheese was the key I had been searching for all along!"

The mouse fairly quivered with suppressed excitement. Sir Antheus was pale, his brow furrowed and glistening, his lips uttering prayer after silent prayer. Waldemar gloated at the mischief he had wrought on the noble man's mind. "After i discovered the secret of the cheese," he continued, "I knew what course i must take. I found the greediest little thief I could find, and with my magical skills i took the form of a rich merchant, bearing a fat purse of gold, jewels, and a ring." Bufo shuddered as the memory leapt into place clearly for the first time. " The moment the greedy little halfling put on that ring, his mind was subject to my will, and i was able to follow his every step as he made his way to the monastery to steal my cheese. I guided him with my powers, helping him elude all the bold knights on their watch - they were quite lax, for noone ever expected that cheese to be stolen, who would bother? With my aid he returned unscathed to bury the cheese in a place of my choosing, ready for my goblin-slaves to collect. They brought the cheese here to me, and I have used it, completely consumed it in my rituals, and i have captured it's divine essence in this very gemstone!"

With a flourish, the mouse-man held up a necklace, shining and golden, set with a milky-coloured gemstone - all that remained of the Abbot's Cheese was contained within it's facets!

"Blasphemy!" cried the Paladin, his reverie broken. With a mad jerk he tried to free his feet from their magical bindings, but it was no use. The mouse laughed heartily at his righteous indignation.

"With this gem I now possess a portion of your Lady's divine power. It will take much study to learn how to best put it to use, but time is on my side - not yours, sadly! I must depart soon from this plane of existence and make a journey to the Crystal City - but such things are none of your concern. I shall leave you now to wallow here in the company of some of my little friends - unless of course, you have any questions? Make them brief mind you, for I must be away presently and there is much to pack before I go. It has been so nice chatting with you by the way, months spent in this dank hole with only dogs and ogres to keep me company certainly makes one chatty, teehee!"

Tears swelled and then then ran like streams down Rambulge's embittered face as the Mouse thing's cruel words sunk in.

"No, no...that's not true...THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!" Rambulge wailed, struggling in vain to free himself...

Back