The "How to do Oldhammer" Thread

Grumdril

Very cool Zoggin, and clearly a goblin. I love the way he's clearly a vicious little sod who'll batter your kneecaps.

How does his size compare with an 80s goblin on the one hand and a snotling on the other?

zoggin-eck

All good Chico, you know your stuff, I must have thought I was on another forum :) Alarm bells usually sound when I hear anyone talk about Genestealers and I dead the "Lol, then a hybrid bursts out of them just like in Alien!" and then they stick unrelated Tyranid parts to a guardsman and say it's a hybrid... :evil:

Grumdril":ngm74gnj said:
Very cool Zoggin, and clearly a goblin. I love the way he's clearly a vicious little sod who'll batter your kneecaps.

How does his size compare with an 80s goblin on the one hand and a snotling on the other?

Thanks, here's a lineup of the usual suspects:

lineup_zps89170ffc.jpg

Next lot of photos, I'll see if I can round up a snotling.

phreedh

Nice job Chris, they look really great - and congrats on the synergies! =)

LeadAsbestos":vfjw4hue said:
Slow and steady! More on why they are a big deal at my blog:

I'm getting ready to prime my little EM4 plastic orc/hobgoblins. Will add in a metal leader and musician, maybe even a standard bearer too. Getting them from Forlorn Hopes. I've decided to not convert the minis at all, just to illustrate the fact that you can get a decent sized unit up and running with minimal fuzz and hardly no cost. Also, WYSIWYG gaming is kind of daft and not very Oldhammery at all in my opinion. The mold lines were a pain in the ass, btw...

image.jpg

olean

Judge me by my size, do you?

Well, here we are! As I had suspected, painting these pygmies was very quick as long as one aims for a "tabletop" standard rather than Golden Demon material. I spray undercoated with Army Painter Leather Brown. Then a few bits were given a coat of white or grey, and the whole mini was washed with Army Painter Strong Tone water soluble wash. After that there wasn't much left to do; some drybrushing and a few quick details and job's a good'un. Doing the base propably took just as long as the mini itself. Speaking of bases, they need to be embellished with bits of jungle flora, and I plan to do this when I return from my "romantic getaway" to Berlin with my wife (I am waiting in the airport in Oslo as I type this), where I will certainly not be spending much time on the forums (although there will of course be time to visit a few shops, most importantly Battlefield Berlin, the best miniature store I have ever set foot in). But I digress - here is the start of my pygmy ally contigent (and eventual army): a unit of spearmen, a unit of blowpipers and a shaman.

pygmy%202.jpg

Photo quality is not the best, I'm afraid, I'll have to do some research into how to improve this.

One thing I loved about the spearmen was how easy they were to convert to vary the few poses available - the arms where thin enough that I could simply bend them any way I wanted, and by scraping off the headgear on some of the miniatures the unit could be made to look even more varied. This example shows two variations (left and middle ) made from the orignial miniature on the right. I shortened the spear on some poses, and this made the miniatures even more "pygmy-like" in my view. Perhaps I shall do some post-painting converting on some of the uncut ones. We'll see.

pygmy%203.jpg

So far I am very happy with these Kallistra pygmies, and they really fit in with my vision for the army that is based, of course, on the Warhammer Armies ally army list as well as the original Citadel sculpts by the Perrys. Unless something else grabs my attention in the Berlin game stores I'll try and add some more units to this project when I return in five days time.

- olean -

EDIT: changed link to pictures.

zoggin-eck

Really great work olean! (Army painter washes are sweet, eh?) Good job getting them finished so quickly, too. Can't wait to see what you do with the bases.

phreedh, I think they look good as a mixed unit. It's fun to see these old models being used all over the place all of a sudden :)

phreedh

Great pygmies, Olean!

zoggin-eck":1pud2z6q said:
phreedh, I think they look good as a mixed unit. It's fun to see these old models being used all over the place all of a sudden :)
Yep! I've been sitting on them for a few years, Cheetor very kindly donated them to my monopose plastics WHFB project. I'm deviating slightly from the original plan by also including a few metal command models. I've ordered a standard bearer, a leader, a champion and a musician from Forlorn Hope now.

Padre

Really wish I had thought of bending the spear arms to vary the poses in my Kallistra pygmy army. Never occurred to me. The results are excellent.

weazil

Hi Zhu, all

I've moved any threads evening mentioning racism to the new thread here. Just a note to all readers that this move has not happened as a result of any overt offenses or violations of the board 'policies' - rather, the discussion has proven to be very interesting and mature (thanks all), but completely off topic and has therefore been moved to a new thread.

phreedh

So, to get this train wreck of a thread back on track - here's my current status. Troopers are primed, one fully base-coated apart from metallics. Then, it's washes and another go with the base colour and a final highlight. Simple as hell, in other words. =) Also have received the metal command models, but nothing done with them yet...

Attachments

• 2014-02-17 20.50.43.jpg
    2014-02-17 20.50.43.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 2,141

Chico

Yep well done, you just made me add them to the want list (This and a rather tasty thread on LAF), I'm thinking mine will be Half Orcs :)

phreedh

Chico":25s5798s said:
Yep well done, you just made me add them to the want list (This and a rather tasty thread on LAF), I'm thinking mine will be Half Orcs :)
Hard to get more cheaphammer. =)

phreedh

So, replying to myself here a bit but I've actually finished the first model for this year! :shock: Granted, he's lacking a proper base and a shield - all in good time. This is what I'm aiming for. I'll vary the skin tone slightly between the groups of six and also use other base colours for the "shoes" and other wrappings, the tunic and so on.

Attachments

• 2014-02-18 21.29.13.jpg
    2014-02-18 21.29.13.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 2,096
Back