Rogue GorkaMunda Weekend

cheetor

theottovonbismark and I got together and played a load of skirmish sized games with some of our Oldhammer style projects over the weekend. We mainly used the Necromunda and GorkaMorka rule sets with some other stats coming from RT and 2nd ed. It all worked out well and we had a few good laughs with improbable plots and superhuman incompetence being the order of the day.

roguegorkamunda3.jpg

roguegorkamunda17.jpg

roguegorkamunda5.jpg

roguegorkamunda10.jpg

roguegorkamunda11.jpg

roguegorkamunda13.jpg

I posted about the weekend on my blog along with some more photos. It was a good laugh. Plans are already underway for another crack at the just-as-grim-but-generally-far-more-hilarious side of the 40k-verse very soon.

cheetor

Blue in VT":a295y9mb said:
What stats do you use for ALF!?? :)

Gretchin stats.

ALF has absolutely zero powers in the TV show. Other than being a smart arse with all the good lines he doesnt do anything. As we felt it essential to incluse the model in the game, we made ALF the Maguffin: he had eaten a Gyrinx that had some sort of important technical data encoded into its DNA... or something. Anything to force Vin Diesel to have to babysit ALF was deemed worth it in terms of narrative ;)

Blue in VT":a295y9mb said:
Looks like a great game!

It was a series of small games and yes, they were a hoot :)

These photo look fantastic. This is the direction i'm pushing my mates in. It's great seeing other people playing the kinds of games that I want to be playing. More power to you! Great stuff!

cheetor

whiskey priest":1haf1bd6 said:
These photo look fantastic. This is the direction i'm pushing my mates in. It's great seeing other people playing the kinds of games that I want to be playing. More power to you! Great stuff!

Thanks Whiskey priest.

This session had a little bit of the two of us finding our feet at first, as although Sean and I have put in very many gaming hours together over the years, we had to be sure that we were on the same page for this sort of slightly more jazz-improv style of play. We know the level that we want to aim at now, so hopefully its onwards and upwards from here on. If its the sort of daft storyline that features in the scenario tables in RT, then thats the sort of game that I want to play.

phreedh

Those guardsmen are looking rather nice! When did you paint/post them? Can't remember seeing them.

cheetor

phreedh":6u0epo90 said:
Those guardsmen are looking rather nice! When did you paint/post them? Can't remember seeing them.

All of the Necromundan 1989th "Death Ferrets" Imperial Guard are the work of theottovonbismark. Clockwork horse skeletons, Ogryns made from Heroquest and Battle Masters parts, various other absurdities waiting in the wings. He has about 20 or so finished, but they are retro chic. Visible HERE, although the Iron Chancellor has done a bit more work on them since those photos were taken.

The rest of the stuff is mine.

Asslessman

Hope you get ALF away from the gyrinx...

The very good bat reps of late (WP's , Jonas' , yours and others) have really given me the urge to play some real game on a nice table. Good models is one thing, god paintjob too , lacking some real action with real life lads is not going to take me anywhere. Your game pictures are doing to me what the pictures of old WD's used to do : they make me want to play !

Thanks

phreedh

Ah, upon closer inspection the bases DO differ... thought they were identical to yours. Didn't read the blog post yet... :)

cheetor

phreedh":3cr7sc77 said:
Ah, upon closer inspection the bases DO differ... thought they were identical to yours.

Ooooh, hes not going to like that! Like many precious, Goblin Green obsessed toy soldier folk, theottovonbismark doesnt like my quick and dirty basing :lol:

Suber

I am amazed by your pics, oh so envious! Pure awesomeness.

Changing the subject, I love your Inquisitor Verhoeven so much that I now find it painly hard seeing my own mini. I can't see it but in the colours you painted it. Sorry, but I am forced to shamelessly copy your scheme. Forced, I say :mrgreen:

phreedh

cheetor":hcwbtox5 said:
Ooooh, hes not going to like that! Like many precious, Goblin Green obsessed toy soldier folk, theottovonbismark doesnt like my quick and dirty basing :lol:
Then he should stop doing his bases exactly like yours :grin: Compare the fish-lads with the guardsmen below. Looks identical to me. =)
roguegorkamunda3.jpg

phreedh":19snlmku said:
cheetor":19snlmku said:
Then he should stop doing his bases exactly like yours :grin: Compare the fish-lads with the guardsmen below. Looks identical to me. =)

A misconception, I don't think any less of Cheetors basing techniques - mine are usually just as quick and dirty. Where I differ is that I do the base style in context to the overall colour scheme of a force rather than doing the same basing style for every model I paint.

And look at the context here, eh? See? I know what I am doing ;)

phreedh

theottovonbismark":3ogoxmrb said:
And look at the context here, eh? See? I know what I am doing ;)
As long as your models look as good as they do in that photo I must agree. =)

cheetor

theottovonbismark":1ukrqux0 said:
A misconception...

Im probably projecting my own minor self-loathing issues regarding my rapid but imperfect basing regime :)

Suber":1ukrqux0 said:
Sorry, but I am forced to shamelessly copy your scheme. Forced, I say :mrgreen:

Go for it (although if you bring it to the Oldhammer day I will be "forced" to jump up and down on it in rage) ;)

I actually think that the grey-white hood makes Verhoeven look a little like he has a tracksuit on under his armour, which isnt really the sort of image that I want the character to project :lol:
I still like how the model looks, but if I were painting it again I might try a different colour for the cloth areas.

But feel free to simply do the same thing if you want, I dont mind.

phreedh

Inquisitor Verhoeven - part man, part machine, all chav? :)

cheetor":1ms5nreq said:
I actually think that the grey-white hood makes Verhoeven look a little like he has a tracksuit on

cheetor

phreedh":3pea2azb said:
Inquisitor Verhoeven - part man, part machine, all chav? :)

Those Hive Worlders lack certain niceties, even the guys who go on to better genocidal and judgmental things.

I have a series of different Inquisitors in various states of progression that I really must get finished, but I keep doing other things instead. I am quite nostalgically fond of Verhoevens goofy, retro sculpt though. Despite the "Reebok" elements in his outfit/paint job, he still looks very close to what I imagine an Inquisitor "should" look like.

I need to get a psychic guy wearing a coat done soon though.

Back