Don Hans 40k Warbands

Don Hans

Hello again,

Starting up creating a few 40k Warbands. First out is some Asgard Trimotes from he 70's. 2 finshed (these pics) and 3 more to go.

P1040069.JPG

P1040070.JPG

P1040071.JPG

P1040072.JPG

Here is a link to Lost Minis Wiki with the Asgard SF range - magnificent won't you say? http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Science_Fiction_(Asgard)

Without being facetious, these are groovy- I've never seen or heard of Trimotes before but they are charming little fellas-nice!

cheetor

Those are cool! I like the interesting colour transitions on the guy on the right in particular.

I have never heard of Trimotes before. What size are they? Without a more familiar item in shot (a space marine, a slotta-base) I cant tell what size they are.

Don Hans

Here is a Khorne Renegade warband I painted last summer. Will probably add something more to it. Maybe a Dreadnough.

40k-Khorne-Renegades-02-2014-02-07.jpg

Cheers/Hans

Rob_S

You have a nack for turning what I would consider ugly sculpts into works of art. I am loving those Trimotes. 3 of the same model but each painted so differently and beautifully.

Any particular reason you mixed up the red on the leader of your renegades?

Don Hans

Rob_S":2wr4j7se said:
You have a nack for turning what I would consider ugly sculpts into works of art. I am loving those Trimotes. 3 of the same model but each painted so differently and beautifully.

Any particular reason you mixed up the red on the leader of your renegades?

Thank you very much Rob! Not sure why I chose those colors on the leader. I started with the leader with no intention to paint a warband. That idea came later so I guess that is why it looks different. Part of it was intentional to create a bit of visual "drama" in the warband.

Thx/Hans

The Khorne warband are awesome. How did you achieve the darker red? Dark basecoat, highlights, and then some glazes/washes? I love the subtlety of it.

Don Hans

Magos Explorator":21yon49x said:
The Khorne warband are awesome. How did you achieve the darker red? Dark basecoat, highlights, and then some glazes/washes? I love the subtlety of it.

Thanks!

The paint job was quite experimental and can't recollect exactly what I did. Something along these line are probably not too far from the truth though:

1) Black base coat
2) Next coat was bronze, red and black. I used the mini as a palette mixing the colors into different shades directly on the mini while the paint was still wet.
3) Super heavy washes - Think I used orange (not sure)
4) Used a sponge do dab on color (black and silver/bronze)
5) Some washes again
6) Highlights
7) Used Pigment powder and pigment fixer
8) Final highlights

Cheers/Hans

Don Hans

Hi,

First 40k minis in quite a while. So kicking this old thread back to life with two just finished Nurgle Renegades:

40k-Nurgle-Renegade-01-2015-01-24.jpg

40k-Nurgle-Renegade-02-2015-01-24.jpg

Thx/Hans

Don, amazing work. You have a singularly creative, unique approach to figure painting that is truely inspirational. The bauhaus-esque Khorne champion is incredible. Your blending and colour selection on the Nurgle renegades is stunning. I wonder how much of your painting is planned out before you begin and how much do you improvise and explore things as you go?

Don Hans

Thanks!

archaeopteryx: Quite often I don't have a complete plan but only a vague idea. After a few layers I usually decide on where to go

/Hans

Orjetax

The bronze scheme you've used on your Khorne band is so interesting. It's got a true artistry to it.

Very glad you resurrected this thread. I hadn't seen it previously, I don't think.

Don Hans

Thanks Orjetax & Suber!!!

...and another 40k Chaos dude: Chaos Squat om Exo Armour. Took a quite experimental approach to painting this one:

• I didn't know what to do so I started with a dark bronze base coat. Still didn't know what to do...
  • ...but yes let's do a few washed with white!?
  • Then decided to do a kind of a reversed paint-job with keeping the white in the recesses and layer up to black on the high points and edges.
  • Before that I took a toothbrush and splashed red glaze.
  • Took a similar approach to the hoses with light orange in the recesses and dark red on the tops.

The plan was to to a Nurgle dude but I guess this turned out a lot more Khorne. So a new addition to the little Khorne Warband :)

40k-Chaos-Squat-Exo-Armour-2015-02-07.jpg

Well - I hope you like it!
Thx/Hans

Back