What else do you collect?

Hi all,

Not sure if there already exists a thread like this here... Just wondered what else the Oldhammerers here collect in addition to old lead?
Speaking for myself I am heavily into vintage (1977- '85) Kenner Star Wars figures and ships, with a special focus on the ROTJ range (both loose and carded figures). I also collect the old Nintendo Game&Watch handheld consoles ( http://www.gameandwatch.com/ ), although I limit myself to the wide- and multiscreen games.
I have always loved LEGO, so I thought as long as I have space in my glass cabinet I'd try collecting the favourite sets from way back when, limiting myself to a few sets from the City/space/castle ranges. Will have to get some pictures up I guess...

Martin

Asslessman

I do collect comics too, all sorts, Manga, US (and UK) comics, french "bande dessinée",... I've slowed a bit lately (maybe because I tend to spend a bit more on old lead since I registered here ^^' ) and with my models and 5 libraries full of books, I'm the one taking the more space in the house (even beating the wife's shoe collection :? ).

That's funny Vintagephreak cause my girlfriend at the time and I used to collect (the new) Hasbro Star Wars toys and my pride of that stuff is Jabba and all the aliens, denizens etc from that sequence.
I have a couple of ships and a heap of the other figures and stuff but I'm not too sure why I bought all that stuff now, it's all in storage and I'd like to get rid of pretty much everything except the Jabbas' Palace gear.

I loved Robotech as a kid and was right into the Palladium RPGs- I have a small but nice collection of (unbuilt) Macross kits and some Valkyries/Veritechs and figurines-I mainly go for the Zentreadi stuff.
I have built and painted a command ship (Khyron's) that I should photograph and an awesome "walking Minmay doll" like in the show but that's in storage at the moment.

I was also really into TMNT and once again Palladium's RPGs and have a nice little collection of the original figures, just core characters really.

I also have a fair bit of Lego, mainly the original Pirate stuff from the late 80's (including the 2 original ships) and castle stuff all complete and in good nick still.

I bought a few 25th anniversary GI Joes a couple of years ago too, and I have a good slew of classic G1 Transformers or recent ones in the old style (once again, core characters)

Chico

I used to collect alot of things, Books/DVD/CD's/Band T-shirts. Those all died away as I've spent more time with toys.

ardyer

Hoarders, all of us ;) For me it's comics and more that my kids are old enough, legos again.

You'll hate this story then. I had quite a large collection of the original star wars figures and vehicles while growing up. But in 1988, out house was damaged by a hurricane, taking all my star wars stuff, except for a solitary Chewbacca action figure.

Mutantdale

My family are natural hoarders.. I have collected a lot of stuff over the year but lead has gradually pushed the rest out. The only other collections I have now are some old mtg sets in storage and a large White Wolf rpg set. I have around 80%+ of them now and when I'm not spending free cash on lead it goes onto books.
I have even traded minis and mtg cards for more books in the past...

MD

Oh, and I have the full, late 1990's Star Wars customizable card game sets from Decipher. If anybody here knows what they are. ..

Orjetax

vintagephreak":3tao2sff said:
Oh, and I have the full, late 1990's Star Wars customizable card game sets from Decipher. If anybody here knows what they are. ..

I know those!
Coincided well with the release of the "special edition" films

Zhu Bajie

Well, other than old White Dwarf and Dragon magazines, along with other RPG, fantasy boardgames and wargame rulesets, Fighting Fantasy books... not sure I actually collect these, I read them, play them, when I buy them as long as they aren't really trash or written in, I'm not going for Near Mint condition. Magazines do get bagged and boarded tho.

I do have a couple of boxes of mostly 90s comics but I don't actively collect them, there are a few gaps in my TMNT set (1-3) and in my Sandman set.

Mutantdale

vintagephreak":1r9d41ui said:

Hehe I completely forgot about those. I have most of them too. I stopped really collecting at reflections though as it was getting silly. I did get a lot of the later cards still but they should not have gone into the new movies...

MD

God, I'm a terrible hoarder as well, but specific collections includes: books, Antique medical instruments, British and German firearms/militaria, arcade machines, old consoles, oh, and military vehicles, amongst other things.

I also collect pretty much anything I can find that could be construed as 'grotesque'... :lol:

Mutantdale":2uj50j9x said:
vintagephreak":2uj50j9x said:

Hehe I completely forgot about those. I have most of them too. I stopped really collecting at reflections though as it was getting silly. I did get a lot of the later cards still but they should not have gone into the new movies...

MD

Couldn't agree more. I have all sets up to and including Death Star II, after which the sets would feature Special edition stuff. Since I am a purist, that's where I draw the line...

phreedh

vintagephreak":3qbn92iv said:
Well, I do. ;)

I used to collect SWCCG cards, but traded the interesting bits to Martin for lead and the rest were dumped on a swedish auctioning site.

I've got a small collection of MtG cards (draft cube box and some constructed decks for kitchen table fun).

I collect comics, but mainly to read. I have an almost complete collection of swedish Spider-man comics from 1974 up to modern days. Apart from that, I've got complete trade paperback collections of many Vertigo and Marvel comics. I prefer TPBs to loose issues. Ongoing series that I follow are Fables and Walking Dead mainly, with a few side tracks. Complete runs of a few classics, such as Preacher or Sandman. Love super hero stuff, but mainly the more "meta" books such as Top 10 or Astro City. Still hoping to get around to getting some of the old Doom Patrol books, Swamp Thing, Animal Man etc. The stuff that kickstarted Vertigo in the early 90s together with Sandman, basically. I have a lot of Hellblazer books but they've been hard to collect as some of it isn't very good and they were initially not released in an orderly fashion.

I also "collect" cigars, but I'm trying to stay utilitarian. Still, I sometimes buy vintage or limited stuff because they're very nice smokes.

I have some board game mini-collections, for instance I've got most of the stuff released for Runebound (except for a few big box expansions). Same thing for the new Talisman game.

All in all, I'm cutting my collectionitis a bit. I used to buy a lot of movies and music, but nowadays I only listen to playlists on Spotify. Likewise, I now put way more money on digital comics in Marvel's smartphone app. Share an account with my cousin, so the cost is ok. I still buy Bluray movies, but mostly super hero stuff or old 80s action or scifi movies. In ways of games, I'm trying to limit myself to stuff that actually gets (or will get) used. Thus, my old editions of Warhammer will be sold off. I try to not keep too much "nice to leaf through" stuff.

Oh, I'm also compulsively buying uhm... crockery. =) There are a few series of old Swedish crockery I'm always adding to, replacing old pieces and so on.

ardyer

Skarsnik & Old Lead":2yc6la2l said:
ardyer":2yc6la2l said:
Hoarders, all of us ;) For me it's comics and more that my kids are old enough, legos again.

Lego. The plural of Lego is Lego. :evil:

;)

I blame my phone! But actually, I've just always grown up saying Legos. But then I'm from the American south y'all ;)

Blue in VT

My other addiction is....

....Acoustic guitars....I have 6 or 7 now in different states of repair/usefulness. I have one very high end modern guitar and the rest are all from the 60's...mostly Harmony Brand guitars...which were really cheap at the time but were made from high quality solid woods like you can't even buy today....plus a lot of my old Blues heroes played them... :roll:

Anyway...here are a couple of my "girls"

...and you thought it was expensive to ship lead! try buying one of these off of ebay! :roll:

Cheers,

Blue

phreedh

ardyer":av8k9r8x said:
Phreedh, the Alan Moore Swamp Thing TPBs are worth picking up asap. Excellent series.
Yeah, I know... read them in the 90s, they were actually published in Swedish by a rather nice indie publishing house doing all kinds of neat comics. Such as Hellblazer (Fear Machine!), Sandman, Doom Patrol and Shade. Ofcourse, it didn't last long. =)

THEFAN

I'm a collector of many thing:

Warhammer:
oldhammer fantasy
Space Hulk 1st edit items an realated
1st edit WHFRPG

COMICS:
Amazing Spiderman
The Hulk
Gijoe
Fantastic Four
The Avengers
Juggernaut
Magneto

Toys:
80s Gijoe
Transformers
Star Wars

VidoeGames
NES
SNES
SEGA
X-box

Military:
Gear
WW2 items
guns guns guns guns :) O YEAH!!

Books:
to many to write but I have a room full

FARM:
we have a small homestead farm so I collect homesteading items
Just picked up a 1942 Farmall Tractor and Cookstove

Antiques and tools :)

Attachments

• am farm.JPG
    am farm.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 3,167

THEFAN

The picture above was chicken killing day. We slaughtered 70 chickens that day.

Attachments

• 11 ref.jpg
    11 ref.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 3,167
Back