Rick Priestley Oldhammer interview

Orlygg

After the success of the Tony Ackland and Andy Craig interviews I have managed to collar the great Priestley himself for an Oldhammer interview, all things early warhammer!

So, what do want to know?

I have a few ideas...

1) Why third edition? What was the motive behind the beast, why not remain with 2?
2) Ask him why he considers 3rd to be the most impratical to play
3) Life in the studio
4) Cancelled projects and unseen gems
5) The story of the contravolted development of realms of chaos
6) supplements such as siege and armies, were they planned from the start.
7) his days sculpting?

What else?

bug16

I'm certainly interested in his answer for number 5! That went on for years!

Nothing too contentious but here are mine:

Did he ever think that Warhammer and 40k would become as successful as they have?
If he was still at GW and had free reign to do whatever he wanted with WHFB and 40k what would he do? Turn WHFB into a Hail Caeser style system?
Which game is he most proud of and why?

Zhu Bajie

Not only Realms of Chaos, but WHFRP and Rogue Trader seemed to be stuck in "development limbo" for years, would be good to know what was going on.

I think Ricks first game was the 2nd Edition Reaper (fantasy wargame) and then Combat 3000 (sci-fi), both with Richard Halliwell, for TTG (who also did Bryans Laserburn), what happened, how did the 3 meet up and decide to create Warhammer? Did Steve and Ian have to green-light it, or were you guys given free reign? The credits for 1e state Richard Halliwell, Bryan Ansell and (of course) Rick Priestly. who was responsible for what elements or was it very much a collaborative effort?

What were the guiding principles for the original design of Warhammer (1e)? it has both roleplay and mass combat rules, how much of an influence was D&D? 2nd Ed. gave us the Warhammer World, what was the impetus behind creating a coherent background? How much was the points system and army lists (i.e. Forces of Fantasy, Ravening Hordes, Warhammer Armies) a core part of the game?

Warhammer was very poorly supported by White Dwarf in the GW London / Citadel Nottingham days, there were maybe 2 or 3 articles, why not more of a push?

What kind of typesetting equipment were you using for 1e/2e Citadel Compendiums etc.? (sorry, type geek)

Heinrich Kremmer, Heinrich Himmler or Heinrich Kramer?

weazil

Well done on getting Rick!

I'd be interested to see if he is disappointed with the direction GW has taken with his works - does he ever lament over GW releases?

I'd also be interested to see what his thoughts are on why other rulesets have such a tough time challenging GW ones, even though just about all of them are acknowledged to be better.

DaImp

You are on a roll Orlygg!
I don't have any questions to add to the list, just looking forward to the interview :)

Erny

:o

So awesome.

Does he think constantly creating new games is the only way forward in this hobby or can one be cutting edge and continue to play rules from 25 years ago?

What came first in the 80's, figures or rules?

Does he have a "rick priestly edditionless" set of warhammer rules that he plays or dose he not even touch warhammer with a barge pole these days?

Ask him if he wants to be honorary president for life of the oldhammer club.

zedmeister

Just read the interview - brilliant stuff. Definitely interesting to read on the list of canceled or stalled games and projects. Didn't know that Realm of Chaos was started in 1983 for Warhammer 1! That's quite a development span.

He always did come across as quite a personable chap. Did you meet him face to face or was it via e-mail?

Orlygg

Email... though I' ve met him several times at Salute. A very approachable and articulate man, passionate about gaming.

If you ever get the chance to chat, do so!

Galadrin

Great interview. That's funny that he considers 3rd Edition to be "stodgy" and extremely complex. To me, 3rd Edition is the "perfect storm" of the customizability of 1st and 2nd Edition and the attention to detail of later editions (without becoming the Herohammer of the 90's versions of the game). It's definitely crunchy, but it is more a big old-school gaming toolbox than a fixed system.

Orlygg

I have met Rick several times and now have interviewed him... In my opinion, he' s a wargames designer first who favours fast moving rulesets. Warhammer 1-3 were heavily influenced by the RPG scene, hence the complexities, and lengthy dynamics. Warhammer owes far more to the values of Halliwell and Ansell than merely Priestley, though he was its longest serving contributor.

As for your ' perfect storm' I quite agree, though we Oldhammerers are, to use a metaphor, the equivalent to those motor enthusiasts that tinker on classic cars when there are more reliable modern cars. Its the passion and care behind WFB3, and the models that supported it, that makes the period so special. Something lacking in modern GW games I think!

Back