RIP Warhammer

mbh

http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.uk/

very interesting post from orlygg

What does everyone think? Will WHFB be dead and gone from GW soon?

Personally I don't see it. It's clear that 40k is the top dog but I believe warhammer will exist in some way as a GW product for the foreseeable future. It's been a really solid year for fantasy releases, with a bunch of new army books and lot of models. There's also heavy rumors of 9th edition coming in the next year or so.

The death of WD as a print publication isn't very surprising. The magazine is a real POS for the price. I don't even think the magazine is that much worse than it was in the past. I started reading it after issue 100 and in looking back, there were some really awesome articles but definitely some stinkers. I think it's a valid complaint that it's more of a catalogue today, but I don't think the quality is that far off.

I think it's just tough to sell a pricey warhammer magazine these days with the Internet. What do I need WD for? The Gw site has pics of all the products. Forums have vat quantities of painted models to look at. There are even tons of hobby tutorials on the net and YouTube. Why would I pay for any of that?

GW also sees to be pushing really hard into the digital realm. Maybe they see this as a better future for WD.

I think the biggest danger for WHFB is the current pricing strategy. If I was new to the hobby, there is no way I could start a WHFB army. No way. just go check how much a unit of 30 plastic with elves would cost. I'd probably be playing space marines and saving some money.

I can't get over how terrible their pricing strategy seems to be for trying to get new players into the hobby. But I still don't see that killing the game just yet.

Maybe I'm way off and this is just wishful thinking though...

Fimm McCool

I think it will largely depend on the whims of the American company which buys out GW later this year. ;)

I actually wouldn't be sorry to see GW go under and leave the market clear for some of the smaller, more interesting companies to get a leg up. Not that that's likely.

mbh

I'm not sure why you'd want any company to go out of business but is there any solid info on hem being sold?

ardyer

I can see the logic in his points. My hope is that if GW does decide to get out of the Fantasy Battle game, they'd license it to someone like they did WFRP (Foundry anyone?).

Fimm McCool

mbh":2qtuhxpl said:
I'm not sure why you'd want any company to go out of business but is there any solid info on hem being sold?

No, just rumours. Reinforced by the fact they're trying to get every Army Book up to date (they've never bothered too much previously) and standardise every model in plastic so the moulds can be easily handed over. I make no disguise of the fact I actively dislike the way GW conducts its business nowadays. What used to be a good ol' British home-grown business is now a mass-produced-in-China monstrosity which marks up its products extortionately and targets the young who can't afford their prices (if anyone can) whilst increasingly tailoring their army books to mean you can only build truly 'effective' armies by buying the newest, biggest, most expensive kits. :?

Chico

I can't see WhFB being cut, but LotR will be cut within 2 years and that's a fact (within months afterof the last hobbit film coming out).

Most small kids play 40k, but most independent gaming clubs you will find a higher % of older WhFB players so it's still a large market to lose.

mbh

I wonder if we all have armies now as adults, Butthe kids still buy 40k...

Fimm McCool":1ujbp2ex said:
mbh":1ujbp2ex said:

No, just rumours. Reinforced by the fact they're trying to get every Army Book up to date (they've never bothered too much previously) and standardise every model in plastic so the moulds can be easily handed over. I make no disguise of the fact I actively dislike the way GW conducts its business nowadays. What used to be a good ol' British home-grown business is now a mass-produced-in-China monstrosity which marks up its products extortionately and targets the young who can't afford their prices (if anyone can) whilst increasingly tailoring their army books to mean you can only build truly 'effective' armies by buying the newest, biggest, most expensive kits. :?

You make some good points. GW business practice chaps my hide pretty good but I would miss them if gone.

The recent mass release of models and books might definitely mean something is up. Hopefully there are changes for the better if the company is sold.

ardyer

mbh":3rdpdmvu said:
The recent mass release of models and books might definitely mean something is up. Hopefully there are changes for the better if the company is sold.

Interestingly enough, your IP portfolio is often with more with out doing something like that. By releasing lots of new stuff they're minimizing what the new owners could do. Can't release a new, money making edition if one was just released. Plus, you might also screw it up. What if everyone hates the new models/books and quits playing? There is often more value in uncertainty. If they slowed production down that would be a better sign of an impending sale than ramping it up.

I know nothing, but I kind of don't believe WHFB is going anywhere.

I don't wish GW failure, but truthfully (besides paints) they sell very little that I actually want to buy, I have to go to ebay for that :grin:

I haven't bought a WD for nearly four years, not out of spite or disgust or principle but I just couldn't relate to it...like looking at holiday pictures of your ex wife who is now happily remarried or something :?

I'm sorry to mention it, but with their prices what they are I wouldn't be surprised if less people were buying GW stuff.

I genuinely hope they don't go anywhere, or get bought out. Not only do a whole bunch of my close friends work there in the design studio, I genuinely think they're releasing the best product they've made in getting on for two decades, and I still buy a fair amount of it.

Pricing may well be an issue for people, and I can understand that, but they've backed themselves into a corner, and I can't see a way out of that. I can't see WFB going anywhere, it's still popular, and they sell loads of it.

Fimm McCool

dieselmonkey":2e5vxxqf said:
I genuinely think they're releasing the best product they've made in getting on for two decades.

Glad somebody does, even though I totally disagree! ;) Just shows it's all to taste.

Asslessman

One solution could be to reopen the multiverse door they closed at 4th ed so that both 40k and battle can mix again.... 8-) :geek: :? :shock: :cry:
Nah kidding,

Anyway, I agree with Dieselmonkey, some very good products still (won't talk about the price...) and I still do get some from time to time. Can't wish them no harm.
They're like Metallica, it's just not the same, only four good albums blah blah blah but even if I prefer the old stuff, well it's them you know...

mbh

I agree with both of you.

The releases in last few years have been the best stuff since good old days IMO. Some of the big kits are a little over the top with oo much detail but overall the models they are making are top notch.

Skarsnik

Fimm McCool":1064tw2b said:
mbh":1064tw2b said:
What used to be a good ol' British home-grown business is now a mass-produced-in-China monstrosity

Except for the fact that all of the miniatures are designed, manufactured and distributed from Nottingham of course.

Naagruz

mbh":1ox4i60x said:

Nope.
While 40K may be far more popular, fantasy is still a revenue producing unit. Even if GW sold, the new owners would not abandon the valuable fantasy IP. The game will continue to evolve, but I highly doubt anyone would drop it.

The Fat Git

I'd be very surprised to see it dropped. I think it still makes loads of money, £5 for a witch elf? Aren't they sooper hard in this edition? Only with the Cauldron of Blood though. Better get a unit of 20 then.

Fimm McCool

Skarsnik & Old Lead":23q1qf2m said:
Fimm McCool":23q1qf2m said:
mbh":23q1qf2m said:
What used to be a good ol' British home-grown business is now a mass-produced-in-China monstrosity

Except for the fact that all of the miniatures are designed, manufactured and distributed from Nottingham of course.

Not true. The "design work" is done in the UK but the plastic miniatures are actually made in China.

mbh

The Fat Git":3701ldpx said:
I'd be very surprised to see it dropped. I think it still makes loads of money, £5 for a witch elf? Aren't they sooper hard in this edition? Only with the Cauldron of Blood though. Better get a unit of 20 then.

better get a horde of 40

mbh

Naagruz":25j3ffjq said:
mbh":25j3ffjq said:

Nope.
While 40K may be far more popular, fantasy is still a revenue producing unit. Even if GW sold, the new owners would not abandon the valuable fantasy IP. The game will continue to evolve, but I highly doubt anyone would drop it.

yeah

it's one of the biggest name brands in war gaming. That alone makes me think it will exist in some way for the next decade at least.

Zhu Bajie

cdbd7900d763a6e6576051c54db6c28b.jpg

Back