Chaos grav-attack

Asslessman

For those who are not too keen on following blogs, I thought I might share with you my plan to build a super demonic chaos engine of doom aka Chaos grav attack aka deostick tank.

Like the name of the sub-forum it's in, it is a WIP.

I started with this :

2013-12-04+20.43.30.jpg
2013-12-04+20.43.55.jpg

and drilled a 20mm hole on top of it with a power driller (first and maybe last time I ever do that ;) ) and started adding some pieces I had lying around

2013-12-04+21.36.56.jpg
2013-12-04+21.37.14.jpg

to get something like this :

2013-12-04+21.52.26.jpg

The result clearly not being RoC and RT to me, I decided to sculpt some demonic face on the front getting inspiration from Nico's shields for his marvellous chaos knights.

2013-12-17+20.48.36.jpg
2013-12-17+20.48.54.jpg

Still a lot to do but theottovonbismark's tips about sculpting in the Venator thread have proved very helpful and I'm learning a lot in the process, doing things one step after the other.
Next step is some facial surgery to fix the parts around the eye and giving a "Lana Del Rey" touch in the form of lips.

I've considered using thin metal sheets (the one from tomato tubes) but I think it will be far too thin. I want the lips to be the metallic sheets of the vehicle opend by th emutation so I'll give a go to making GS thin sheets and see...

Looks cool! A lot of work needed yes, I recommend you to add ton os cables, wire , and texture to all that flat surface to take away its origins from the viewer ;)

Asslessman

Obscure Creator":axoyd5wz said:
Looks cool! A lot of work needed yes, I recommend you to add ton os cables, wire , and texture to all that flat surface to take away its origins from the viewer ;)

I mean to, I also have twisted/mutated exhaust pipes to add. I will keep some of the original texture though as I don't want to fully erase the origin of the model, it would ruin the purpose...

ardyer":axoyd5wz said:
When do we make the joke about a Frenchman having an empty thing of deodorant? :lol:
Looks like you just did... Why do you think Nurgle was so fashionable in France some years ago? ;)

Asslessman":2oilxmut said:
I've considered using thin metal sheets (the one from tomato tubes) but I think it will be far too thin. I want the lips to be the metallic sheets of the vehicle opend by th emutation so I'll give a go to making GS thin sheets and see...

That sounds like it will be challenging to get right. It is difficult to imagine so try to get some source material images from the web that reflect what you are trying to do so you have some kind of plan to work towards. You might find that thin plastic from discarded packaging from foodstuffs cut into small panels (and then continued into the rest of the model surface might work better than trying to get green stuff to cooperate in straight line work. If you ask me though the mouth part is looking pretty good, a couple of more sessions on it and some cleanup and I have no doubt that it will be looking very nice even without doing anything more fancy with it.

I think the eye part would be better if you used a partial sphere (from some suitable household source) as the base and built up the green stuff around it - making a convincing sphere is pretty hard in GS to begin with! I think the eye should be looking forward a little more, like on this guy, but perhaps minus the bit eyebrow which might ruin the lines on your speeder:

hero719_harryhausen-cyclops.jpg

In general the build is coming along very nicely, I think you will end up with unique and pretty funky looking corrupted Rick Priestly Speeder.

Asslessman

theottovonbismark":27iyh6pl said:
I think the eye part would be better if you used a partial sphere (from some suitable household source) as the base and built up the green stuff around it - making a convincing sphere is pretty hard in GS to begin with! I think the eye should be looking forward a little more, like on this guy, but perhaps minus the bit eyebrow which might ruin the lines on your speeder:
I actually started with a more spheric eye (with w bit taken form one of my daughter's toys but sssshh :roll: ) to make it stand but the result was someho too aggressive and made the rest invisible.
I then opted for a flat eye which though totally unrealistic looks more passive. I want the pilot to be in control of a mutated grav-attack, I don't want a pilot trying to refrain the killing mood of a demon in the shape of a vehicle if you get what I mean.
some wwork is needed around and one the teeth that's for sure and one of the reasons I want to try to work with flattened green stuff is simply the fact that I never managed o do it before and I want to learn on this one. Plastic card could also be a solution but I'm ot very good at beding it with heat; any tips on this?

You are definitely right about preparatin and taking some pictures of what I want. I only looked a couple times in the RoC books to "get the vibe" and I went head on... It is not a problem on such a model but it's not a good habit to take... I already have had to cancel the autocanon I wanted to add on the front of the vehicle and soem others details migt also go.

thanksfor your comments

Oh and I'm starting tonight to work on some venator heads too with the spare putty ;)

Asslessman":3ger91ra said:
Oh and I'm starting tonight to work on some venator heads too with the spare putty ;)

Good stuff! I'll have to finish off the first head for you soon, got a bit distracted painting those Eagle Warriors in a colour scheme that would make Liberace blush (well probably not but he would probably approve of the wardrobe choices anyway :) )!

I see what you mean about the aggressiveness of the eye, best to let the driver feel in control then.

For plastic I don't normally use direct heat - I like to take a paintbrush or some kind of bar and use it to warp the plastic using the heat and force from friction. I did similar to that for the armour on these Ogryns. The armour is made from thin modelers plastic card which I had warped using a needle nose pliers (I wanted to dig into the card with the pliers a bit also). Experiment till you find something useful for the project is my best advice here, plastic from household goods is free after all!

http://theottovonbismark.wordpress....ader-era-imperial-guard-project-badass-ogryn/

Asslessman

Point made, I'm trying thin plastic card (see how easy it is to convince me...)

I'm taking a shortcut for the venators since I'm going to use pre hooded heads with some having grotesque faces already (wood elves and bretonian peasants).

Vogon

This looks great so far.

I like the chaosification of the old deoderant bottle grav tank concept.

The sculpted face on the front reminds me of the Nurgle Possessed Predator from the golden daeomon book years ago.

Top marks from me I look forward to watching this one progress :)

Cheers

Vogon

Asslessman

Vogon":3msp5nwo said:
This looks great so far.

I like the chaosification of the old deoderant bottle grav tank concept.

The sculpted face on the front reminds me of the Nurgle Possessed Predator from the golden daeomon book years ago.

Top marks from me I look forward to watching this one progress :)

Cheers

Vogon

Thanks, well I have to say those conversions and the possessed predator have been a string influence to start with. I've slowed a bit on this one, just to take the time to see where I want to go for now but I have a few ideas in mind I think I'm going to try soon! Hope you like it.

Asslessman

I followed Otto's advice and went for some plasticard arond the mouth blended with GS with the rest of the body. i've also tried some experiments to have organic textures with pva glue and superglue and I like it a lot so I'll put a lot of them on the vehicle.

I've also added (blu-tacked) some exhaust pipes but I am not entirely happy with them. Something feels weird but I can't really figure what even though I could definitely live with that... (weird seems a natural thing for a mutated chaos vehicle)
As you can see, I also built a base for the vehicle to be mounted facing toward the ground wo that it takes less space on the field and si that it has a more dynamic position.

2013-12-30+18.36.49.jpg

2013-12-30+18.37.11.jpg

Rob_S

Looks great. I agree about the exhaust not looking right. I half jokingly offer up the suggestion of racing fins?

Really coming along nicely now. As you mentioned there is something wrong with the position of the exhausts....I am not exactly sure what it is either. Could be the lines of the shape of the model are being broken by the angle at which the exhausts are set. Perhaps fit them inline with the hull on either side of the pilot and see what that looks like.

Exhaust systems tend to go from the engine along the hull and blast fumes out on the back of the vehicle to avoid suffocating the driver so maybe this is what you are subconsciously aware of. The pipes will tend to have bends in them to maximise the total length so any "bending pipes" style stuff looks great:

exhaust-custom-system-13.jpg

Asslessman

I tried another way by aligning all the exhausts. I intentionally try to keep the random order since I want to keep an erratic look in thoses exhausts. The aim here is to then add GS at the base to make it look like the exhausts have bursted out of the hull.
Bending could be very good but I don't want the look to be too much like that of a racing car or something, it's the reason why I added the 4 propulsory on the sides.
I'll try something with bent pipes though just to be sure (I'll have to eat some more lollypops and at this time of year it's starting to be painful...)

How do you like this version? (EDIT : Sorry about the broken link)

2013-12-31+16.16.12.jpg

Suber

I'm enjoying this one! I believe the most important issue is, as you have pointed out, certain feeling of randomness. Maybe an even more random alingment could avoid the racing car concept, resembling a pack of sick mushrooms growing on an unexpected place. But well,that might be just a crazy idea.

Back