So many monsters!

Plaiecivile

Good day Oldhammerers!
It seems like I finaly found a forum where I can share my interest for old GW stuff :grin:
I am quite a slow painter so over the years I kind of collected way to much for my brushes.
Hopefully this WIP will motivate me to continu my work!

So first of all, here is a look on my last completed project, a Nightmare Dragon, Carnehov:

Excellent posing/basing! (I'm unfamiliar with the model, but assume the columns are not part of it?)

Look forward to seeing more :)

I thought I recognised the pillars :)

But then I thought they might have originally come in with the dragon and are being re used.

Regardless, really nice stuff mate.

Asslessman

I really love the colours you've used for this dragon, very good balance between fantsay and natural. The autumn leaves look good and the pose idea is an excellent one (maybe the stones look a little too round but it's just me being picky).
Did you buy coloured birchseeds or did you taint them yourselves, the composistion with real branches is superb. Remind me to PM you next time I go to Montréal ;)

That's some mighty fancy green stuffing pardner!

The composition was a very good idea given the original model's pose. Gives it a nice sense of motion, power and connectedness with the scene.

Basing and painting is great also, easy to tell you have a soft spot for this Dragon model with the thought you have put into it.

Now post up moar of your stuff! :)

Plaiecivile

Thanks everyone for all the good comments, I better aim high for the next one ;)

Asslessman":7k9gm1kt said:
I really love the colours you've used for this dragon, very good balance between fantsay and natural. The autumn leaves look good and the pose idea is an excellent one (maybe the stones look a little too round but it's just me being picky).
Did you buy coloured birchseeds or did you taint them yourselves, the composistion with real branches is superb. Remind me to PM you next time I go to Montréal ;)

The leaves came from Secret Weapon Miniatures and the branches are actually roots of tomato plants glued upside down, tainted with washes. These do an amazing job since they don't tend to break when dried.

Very nice model and so dynamic !
Come on just go ahead and keep on painting :)

Only thing I miss here is a bit more textured rock bricks , look a bit to flat.

Plaiecivile

Now here is the original source of my motivation to upgrade my greens and basing technics.
A friend of mine used to play dark elves and once said that there was no possible way to make this model look good:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod800834

So I took on the challenge and ended up with this...

Basing is made of white clay, front legs positionned wider for a minimum of movement.
I ended up adding muscles on the chest and extra skin on the base of the necks to fill the gaps.
I also added the tip of a flesh hound tail since I thougt the rear was quite flat.

Hope it is "vintage" enough to be presented here, after all the nineties are getting further and further away :mrgreen:

Asslessman

Doesn't really matter to me how "vintage" the model is to begin with or even if it's a good one (I personnaly don't like it), you've just make it look splendid with both the good paintjob and inspired scenery. You really prove that some efforts on the scenery and some little conversion can really bring life to a (imo poor) model.
Great work once again !

Vogon

I have one of those Hydras and it's painted in almost the same scheme.

The base makes it look much better (plus you seem to be better at painting anyway)

Cheers

Vogon

Plaiecivile

So, next monster on its way... a giant spined beast of Nurgle.
I swear my next project will be from the 80s, I even tried to find how I could fit it in a V3 game without much success ;)
I have to say I am very thrilled about this one!

For now I am working on the base... I usually glue my models right away but this time the beast is way to large and would hide to many details.
It is my first time with water effects and I have been adding layers of Mod Podge for the past 3 days. I will be adding layers of green/brown inks to get an effect of stagnant water.
I will also need to work the trasition between the mud and the rocks, they look way to dry and the mud way to shiny!
I am even thinking of submerging the base in colored water and let it set for a couple of days, to get water lines as if the water level had dropped...

Ok , amazing miniature and great project.
BUT , if you want a quick tip , I just say , add some texture to that rocks! You can use glue and sand , or textured paints from GW , or add small stones , whatever , but looking at your past projects if you leave the rocks that flat the realism will drop down a lot.
Think about it :)

Plaiecivile

Obscure Creator":2lcvbpk7 said:
Ok , amazing miniature and great project.
BUT , if you want a quick tip , I just say , add some texture to that rocks! You can use glue and sand , or textured paints from GW , or add small stones , whatever , but looking at your past projects if you leave the rocks that flat the realism will drop down a lot.
Think about it :)
Thanks for the advise, but I have to admit I am looking for this flat look, especially since I used this technique on most of my scenary pieces and it fits well with the GW plastic scenaries.
But as you said, I will think about it ;)

For now, here is the result!

Plaiecivile

And here is my artillery bait, almost completed!
Only the spikes and the claws needs to be done, but I will do some testing on my infantry before painting those parts.
So enough Forge world, I'm going back to a more appropriate project ;)

Back