Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

Orlygg

Talking to Golgfag, I feel this needs a thread of its own. I (hopefully) will be able to provide a real sword as an overall prize, so the victor can raise the blade aloft and have the picture forever preserved online. But i will not make the investment if there isn't any interest in doing a painting competition.

So what are your thoughts? Up for a comp? Do you want categories? Entry requirements (I feel these should be minimal)?

Discuss!

Blue in VT

Looking at even the few entries from last years event I think some limitations or catagories will be necessary. My wardancer felt a little lost against a gargant and a figure on an elaborate display plinth. (Or maybe he was just being too sensitive...he is an elf after all...;) )Of course you would need to have the participation to make it worth while.

Blue

ardyer

Blue in VT":32lsmd0q said:
Looking at even the few entries from last years event I think some limitations or catagories will be necessary. My wardancer felt a little lost against a gargant and a figure on an elaborate display plinth. (Or maybe he was just being too sensitive...he is an elf after all...;) )Of course you would need to have the participation to make it worth while.

Blue

Yea, I've organized quite a few painting competitions and they can be really hard. You can't allow too much (huge plinths, custom sculpts, etc.) for fear of alienating some painters, but you have to allow as much creativity as possible so you don't alienate others. It's a fine line to walk.

Golgfag1

Ok, here's a few ideas for the categories

Warhammer (25-35mm)
Single mounted figure (any type of mount)
mounted unit (minimum 10 figures)
Single foot figure
Foot unit (Minimum 20 figures)
Single model (over 35mm)
Model unit (minimum 3 model/beasts)
Army (Minimum fifty figures)

Rogue trader
mounted unit (minimum 7 figures)
Single foot figure
Foot unit (Minimum 10 figures)
Single model (Any type of race)
Single model/beast (over 35mm)
Army (minimum 50 figures)

Miscellaneous - Models (anything)
We could also have a group category - The group picks a miniature and all entries are that miniature painted/modeled, in any way the painter/modeller chooses, but the basic miniature is the one chosen by the group.

What say you all?

Paul / Golgfag1

Orlygg":6n93c95n said:
Talking to Golgfag, I feel this needs a thread of its own. I (hopefully) will be able to provide a real sword as an overall prize, so the victor can raise the blade aloft and have the picture forever preserved online. But i will not make the investment if there isn't any interest in doing a painting competition.

So what are your thoughts? Up for a comp? Do you want categories? Entry requirements (I feel these should be minimal)?

Discuss!

treps

Golgfag1":1l06xfa5 said:
Ok, here's a few ideas for the categories

Warhammer (25-35mm)
Single mounted figure (any type of mount)
mounted unit (minimum 10 figures)
Single foot figure
Foot unit (Minimum 20 figures)
Single model (over 35mm)
Army (Minimum fifty figures)

Rogue trader
mounted unit (minimum 7 figures)
Single foot figure
Foot unit (Minimum 10 figures)
Single model (Any type of race)
Single model/beast (over 35mm)
Army (minimum 50 figures)

Miscellaneous - Models (anything)
We could also have a group category - The group picks a miniature and all entries are that miniature painted/modeled, in any way the painter/modeller chooses, but the basic miniature is the one chosen by the group.

What say you all?
My 2 cents, we need to be sure to have enough participants in each categories and 15 categories with at least 3 miniatures in each means 45 miniatures at least, that seems a lot right now, for the first time it may be a good idea to limit (for example) to :

Fantasy :
  • single
    unit (at least 5 miniatures)
    machine

W40k :
  • single
    unit (at least 5 miniatures)
    machine

Open :
  • everything with no limitation !

That would still make 7 categories, hoping to have at least 21 miniatures (3 in each).

That's just my opinion, use it as (and if) you may see fit ;)

Bruno

I tend to agree with Treps, with fewer categories, there will be more competition. I'd go with:

Fantasy single Figure (up to 25mm base)
Fantasy Monster/war machine. (anything over 25mm base size)
Fantasy unit.

And the same categories for 40K, and then an 'anything goes' category for dioramas, plinths, etc.

All the 'standard' entries should be based for gaming, and on standard bases as per Warhammer rules.

Only thing I'd want to specify is the limitations regards figures that can be used. Or even are there any? Is there a date cut off for example? Personally I'd suggest anything pre-92 as eligible, but that's just my personal thoughts that Oldhammer ended at 2nd ed 40k/4th Ed WFB.

Chico

I'd say go with no limitations on age of a figure, as that's always going to cause arguments. Plus theirs alternative companies that make figures in a old style.

Gorim

I am interested in participating on the WFB side of the competition. My requirement would be a photo of unpainted miniature, to "assure" that the minis are painted after the competition is announced. Also the title is bit misleading, I mean "weekend" is often not enough time to paint one miniature, let alone a unit or something big.

treps

Gorim":2yxufuqf said:
My requirement would be a photo of unpainted miniature, to "assure" that the minis are painted after the competition is announced.
I'm curious on this one, Why do you want this ?

As for manufacturer/year of production, I don't see the point of having restriction on the miniature being painted only for the competition, if someone would like to propose something he painted years ago what would the problem be ?

Bruno

Sigh..............I typed out a lengthy reply and it has somehow failed to post. I really must do something about my IT skills.

Painting competition is a fantastic idea and one I will readily support in any way I can. I would however like to share a few thoughts that occur to me.

1) There were 3 entries I believe last time. I am sure we can improve on this but 3 out of say 30 attendees was 10%. For the number of categories that are being suggested you will need hundreds of attendees.

2) My suggestion would be plain and simple...two categories...fantasy and Sci Fi.

3) You can still award the 'slayer sword' to the best in competition.

4) I fear the prize of a sword will attract people who have no interest in the Oldhammer movement/scene but just want another trophy for the mantelpiece. If you are going to offer a prize like that, restrict the competition to pre existing members of this forum.

5) Make it a truly open competition. Anyone can enter a single model into either or both of the categories. It could be a single figure, a single mounted figure, a monster or vehicle. The only restriction is that it is based for the tabletop not for competition.

6) There is no need to restrict the models entered to a manufacturer or era of manufacture. The judges will pick the winner based on a number of factors not least of which is whether it embodies the spirit of Oldhammer.

7) Keep it simple...this is not Golden demon at the NIA its Oldhammer at Foundry (and all the better for it in my view)

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Graham

Golgfag1

Works for me - But how to judge how a single figure embodies the spirit of oldhammer, now there's a question? :? :? :?

Paul / Golgfag1

Greater Harlequin":3k3hidmf said:
Sigh..............I typed out a lengthy reply and it has somehow failed to post. I really must do something about my IT skills.

Painting competition is a fantastic idea and one I will readily support in any way I can. I would however like to share a few thoughts that occur to me.

1) There were 3 entries I believe last time. I am sure we can improve on this but 3 out of say 30 attendees was 10%. For the number of categories that are being suggested you will need hundreds of attendees.

2) My suggestion would be plain and simple...two categories...fantasy and Sci Fi.

3) You can still award the 'slayer sword' to the best in competition.

4) I fear the prize of a sword will attract people who have no interest in the Oldhammer movement/scene but just want another trophy for the mantelpiece. If you are going to offer a prize like that, restrict the competition to pre existing members of this forum.

5) Make it a truly open competition. Anyone can enter a single model into either or both of the categories. It could be a single figure, a single mounted figure, a monster or vehicle. The only restriction is that it is based for the tabletop not for competition.

6) There is no need to restrict the models entered to a manufacturer or era of manufacture. The judges will pick the winner based on a number of factors not least of which is whether it embodies the spirit of Oldhammer.

7) Keep it simple...this is not Golden demon at the NIA its Oldhammer at Foundry (and all the better for it in my view)

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Graham

Gorim

This would be a stationary competition, or Internet one?

EDIT: concerning the unpainted photo request - maybe it isn't that necessary, but I encountered this requirement on many Internet painting competitions. One nice thing about it is that the painting competition "motivates" people to paint more, not just make photos of stuff painted years ago. Other requirement, instead of the one above is to enter only with miniatures that were never in any competition before.

The spirit of Oldhammer is difficult to identify but I think its a case of an elephant.....you know one when you see one :)

If a figure is the latest fine crap resin casting painted to current competition standards and style, I suspect it wouldn't get the spirit of Oldhammer tick. We would probably be looking for classic models painted sympathetically or even modern production painted as if they belong on a tabletop in 1989 rather than 2013?

Personally I would get a panel of judges (say 3) and ask them to rate each entry using a set of flexible guidelines, for example:

1) Quality of paintwork, does it show good technique, freehand work etc.
2) Choice of model...... does it embody Oldhammer or is it 'out of place' in the competition?
3) Quality and style of basing.
4) Any extra factors for which credit should be given such as conversion work or anything else not covered above.

Those are off the top of my head but something similar would provide a structure and framework by which to consider each entry.

Oh......... I would also restrict entries to physical attendees which I am sure will upset some board members, but there is nothing more of a let-down than a winner who isn't there to receive their trophy.

Other points to consider are when the judging takes place and when the prizes are to be awarded. I was personally only present on the Saturday and I don't think I was alone in that. As a two day event it makes sense to award the trophy at the end of the event on Sunday afternoon. The judging could however be done on the Saturday so that models didn't have to stay there for the whole two days. Thoughts anyone?

treps

Greater Harlequin":2kg45ggq said:
Oh......... I would also restrict entries to physical attendees which I am sure will upset some board members, but there is nothing more of a let-down than a winner who isn't there to receive their trophy.
I'm against this one as that would almost limit the participation to british members, and Oldhammer has to be a Worlwide Movement to exist !

Bruno

Physical attendance was just a suggestion. It really depends on what the competition is for. If it is for the event itself, which is a physical event in the real world ie Nottingham, and not the internet, then I think the models have to be there not just photo's on the web. I suppose a compromise would be submission of models via other attending members perhaps ? I don't see how else it would work.

If you want a painting competition on the internet then I think that is a different kettle of fish altogether.

What do others think?

treps

Greater Harlequin":1tbqd4vu said:
Physical attendance was just a suggestion. It really depends on what the competition is for. If it is for the event itself, which is a physical event in the real world ie Nottingham, and not the internet, then I think the models have to be there not just photo's on the web. I suppose a compromise would be submission of models via other attending members perhaps ? I don't see how else it would work.

If you want a painting competition on the internet then I think that is a different kettle of fish altogether.

What do others think?
Yes it's a physical competition, models have to be there, but it's not a problem to send one to someone going to the event !

treps":1izmx8yp said:
Greater Harlequin":1izmx8yp said:

What do others think?
Yes it's a physical competition, models have to be there, but it's not a problem to send one to someone going to the event !

Agreed, that is about the only possible compromise that I could think of, as I said above.

My personal view remains as stated, not because I wish to spoil another members fun but because I feel that is correct. I wouldn't expect to be able to enter a competition at an event unless I attended the event in question. If an Oldhammer day was held in France or anywhere else in the world I wouldn't expect to enter any of the activities without being there. However perhaps the suggested compromise will meet with most peoples agreement?

Either way, I was just throwing out some quick thoughts on how such a competition could run to stimulate a bit of discussion on some of the more difficult questions. Anyone else have any better idea's?

Whatever is decided, I plan to be there for the weekend (real life aside) and would be happy to help in any capacity.

Golgfag1

Sorry Treps,

But this is just one small event within a whole bigger show, and at the request our hosts - it would appear poor form in my opinion, to turn it into something which wouldn't actually be there (a internet event) over the weekend. How do we to tell the casual visitor - that they need to go on to the internet to look at the entries to the painting competition - nah the figures/models have to be there to be judged in the flesh(we had entries last year sent by post and I'm sure people are willing to accommodate such things again, yes?

Anyway, I'm sure we can run something similar here during the course of the year's usual events (Dreamfish any ideas?)

As for your final statement that "Oldhammer has to be a world wide Movement to exist" - heavy stuff, but I see it more as an idea - which needs no body, to exist bar the one who had it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CgSRI2K4k0. But this is not a subject to discuss here, on a message board discussing a painting competition, if, you feel you want to take this further - please PM me & I'll happily debate the subject to the ends of my limited ability.

Enjoy
Paul / Golgfag1

treps":3l1qqftv said:
Greater Harlequin":3l1qqftv said:
I'm against this one as that would almost limit the participation to british members, and Oldhammer has to be a Worlwide Movement to exist !

Bruno

Masterwork

Changing the tone slightly - do I get a pile of goodies if I win? :grin:

Pict0899.jpg

Back