Octobers Painting Challenge with Halloween Bonus

Blue in VT

phreedh":1hilrnz8 said:
Very nice ogres, vistenholder!

Blue, don't sell him! One of the best ogres ever!

After seeing these painted versions I would have to agree. Though I might paint mine as wearing Chaos armor and put him with my MM 90s.

Cheers,

Blue

Fimm McCool

Absolutely stunning! I'd better hurry and paint my Ogre Shaman before I see yours and decide I can't possibly do it!

Anyhow, pretty much finished this challenge, just a few bits of static grass to do. Here they are, Black Ernie MacShmuck and the Creeplings:

DSCF9461.JPG

DSCF9467.JPG

DSCF9470.JPG

DSCF9471.JPG

DSCF9472.JPG

DSCF9473.JPG

DSCF9475.JPG

whisper

Wow Finn thats absolutly Brilliant!
I see you did get the Pixy trixters, how was that company?

Also heres my Halloween Painting
10 x Skeletons.

Cheers
Whisper

Attachments

• Skells.jpg
    Skells.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 3,075

Fimm McCool

Those tricksters are the icing on the cake! Most pricey figures I've bought in a long time but well worth it and a fraction of a price they normally go for.

Here's the Creepling fluff:

Deep though the caves inhabited by most Snotling tribes are, there are caverns deeper and darker still; fissures and grottos where the no breezes blow, the air is hot and stagnant and many of the passages are little more than half-flooded crevices. Even here there is life for it is in these dank recesses in the bowels of the earth that the Creeplings dwell. They are small even by Snotling standards, barely a foot high in most cases, and have an unnerving quality to them which makes anyone who encounters them shudder involuntarily and gives them their name. For those who know more about them the shudder may not be so involuntary, for the Creeplings have a reputation for being more wicked than their mainly benevolent larger kin, engaging in violence for sport and enjoying random acts of depravity. Fortunately they rarely come above ground since daylight hurts their eyes. The most experience a human is likely to have is if mining or caving too near their territory, when the Creeplings will make “knocking “ sounds to lead the humans away. Some humans have found richer seams of metals this way and so speak fondly of the ‘knockers’, whilst others have found themselves lost or trapped and claim they have been tricked by evil mine spirits.

Separated as they are from the bulk of Snotling-kind, the Creeplings have their own king. For as long as any of them can tell this has been Black Ernie MacShmuck. By all reckonings Black Ernie is now over a thousand years old, however he is no taller than an average Snotling. Some attribute this to the Creepling’s genetic shortness, useful for creeping through tight crevices. Those who are in the inner circles of Creepling hierarchy, however, know that although their king is Black Ernie, it is not often the same Black Ernie for more than a couple of years. Intrigue and assassination are rife amongst the Creepling clan and their king goes about cowled with his face hidden and rarely speaks.

Only two types of vegetation are to be found in the caverns of the Creeplings. The first is a virulent purple fungus which the Creeplings eat and use to dye their clothes. Many Snotlings blame this mushroom for the Creeplings’ unsavoury nature since a close cousin of it grows in the higher levels of the caves and is avoided at all costs being highly poisonous, even to Snots. The other plant is a curious type of gourd which produces an eerie phosphorescent glow. This is the only form of illumination in these deep places and the pumpkins are revered by the Creeplings who say that each pumpkin is connected to one single creeper which runs into the deepest, darkest part of the world. There lies the pumpkin king, Django Lanthorn, who watches over all Creepling kind. Should the realm of the Creeplings be threatened then Django Lanthorn would stir from his sleep and rise to the surface to defend his people. It is forbidden to cut a pumpkin from the creeper, but occasionally one will fall of its own volition. This is seen as a great omen and blessing by the Creeplings and the gourds are often carved into ornate masks or carried into battle as totems to secure victory.

Orlygg

I have not dropped into this thread as often as I should and I must say it has been a real pleasure to have a look at all of the contributors work here. Some truly excellent ideas and outstanding painting. Its a bit like what I'd imagine being at those early Golden Demon events would have been like.

Am I too late for my entry? Here's the Legion.

IMG_1674.JPG

Asslessman

Great NIghtmare legion ! We were about to have 3 entries of them at the start of this challenge and you're the first to post yours which is great with the purple decorations.

My Malal demon prince/giant werewolf is in the final steps and should be finished this WE.

VanLoon

Despite a hectic month I managed to finish these.

Ten brave dwarfs defend the mountain pass to their craggy home.

Grumdril

Really nice work on those dwarves VanLoon, I'm particularly impressed with the faces.

Unfortunately I've no nice finished pictures to show. As I suspected I might, I've failed a bit on this month's challenge, the orcs are getting there but still a long way from done.

archersEndOct.jpg

I think part of my problem is, seeing some of the wonderful painting on this forum, I'm trying to run before I can walk. I think I need to get a few units under my belt doing things a bit quicker and easier, then try to push myself a bit more on the character models.

On a more postive note though, I do think that when these chaps are finished they'll be better than any of the painting I did back in the day, thanks to some of the stuff I've learned from the fine people here.

Also, when it comes to sentencing, there's about 300pts of chaos painted that I'd like to be taken into consideration.

VanLoon

Thanks Grumdril.

Just looked at your chaos models on your other thread - if your orcs turn out anything like them they'll look great. They're already well on the way - love the skin tones.

Mutantdale

Had a nil month this month.. painting mojo left me and I only got 6 ghosts painted..

I am reworking how I approach painting minis and have decided that instead of painting 1 army at a time I am going to have 3 painting projects on the go. This way when I get bored I can swap to a new army from the list :)

So I am sorting out the following
Fantasy - My Undead Army (seeing as its started).
40k - My rogue trader marines (I have done 1 test mini and am happy with the result).
Necromunda - Various minis when I need a break as I have almost all the minis released and some from confrontation too..
Plus the occasional monster of special mini when I get really into the painting malarkey.

I will be sorting my Marine force into a pic for the [Muster] soon (hopefully Sunday) and catching up on my neglected blog..

MD

Asslessman

Aaaaaaaand done !

My "Malal Demon prince" aka "giant werewolf" aka "Vargulf" is done, I tried to stick to the halloween theme and to the autumnal weather with him :

2013-11-03+17.22.35.jpg
2013-11-03+17.23.03.jpg

Asslessman

No I know, I actually wanted to give him 6 eyes to make hil lookl like the description of a greater demon and stopped before because I was satisfied with it (plus I can make it count as something else). He definitrely gave me the will o build a true greater demon of Malal though...
What makes him Malalesque is his half ripped face which reminds the black/white skull plus he has ripped his face by himself (a reflection of Malal's self destructing nature) and his giant wolf head with lots of teeth kinda look like a greater demon (at least that was what I had in mind when I built him, plus the checkers look a bit malalesque right?) I can do better on the greater demon...

Mutantdale

Okay as I said earlier I gave up this month.. didn't really have the motivation to paint fantasy minis and spent most of my time working anyway..
but I did get some minis done.

A few more picks will be on my blog tonight as I will be updating :)

MD

Back