A call to all Regional groups: Night of the living lead

Erny

Night of the living lead, an Oldhammer horror.

Several of our groups are planning a Halloween game along the lines of Harry's fine suggestion to GROGG. I thought it may be fun to see if we could somehow weave the narratives of these games into one, even allow the games played first to impact on those that come after.

Perhaps the same scenario special rules could apply, for instance I was planning to allow shooting only up to 16" due to the limited visibility under Morsleb's eerie glow. Perhaps a character appearing in one could appear in another? Victory for either side could be worked out by combining the results of all games.

If you think this is a good idea do let us know. We could start planning scenario ideas now. Of course it may be yo already have solid plans in which case I look forward to the write ups.

In Cambridge we are planning on having human (empire?) defenders attacked at night by waves of undead and supporting Fimir and swamp horrors. If this could fit in with what your planning let us know.

Harry

Its a BRILLIANT PLAN!

Our basic idea was that the Players would be Necromancers. Raising as much undead as they can as fast as they can (getting increasingly powerful as midnight approaches) to achieve certain objectives ... artifacts to recover, allies to release from tombs etc etc.

We plan a Necromancers deck of cards with the various goals and other random events thrown in and we draw a new one every hour so an increasing number of objectives come into play as the game progresses and the Necromancers must split their forces to accomplish as many objectives as possible.

I think we just liked the idea of the completely random unfolding of events.

All the action would be based around a small human village who would basically be trying to survive the night whilst this battle went on in and around their village. They will basically be AI controlled trying to protect their homes and not really aware that the artifact hanging over their fireplace is of crucial importance to the necromancers.

Not sure how that fits in with the overall scheme but as our ideas flesh out we can post them on this thread and see how they can all be woven together.

Erny

Some nice ideas Harry, perhaps we could share ideas for cards.

As Lenihan is very keen to get his Fimir painted and playing and why not, mist shrouded, cyclops demon lizards are quite Halloweeny, I propose the village in question is coastal. So having said that what if the artifacts were all parts of a long ago wrecked ship, the locals have all salvaged bits and pieces over the years and the over necromancer (Melkor? Kemmler? Nagash?) wants them back. So he has set his sub lieutenants the job of retrieving them on the one night of the year when the magic it right to raise the ship. Gain an artifact and he rewards his lieutenant with a boon of some kind....

bug16

If the humans are being controlled by players then I'd allow them to have trump cards, things like "Rousing battle call! The unit is immune to fear for one turn as it charges the enemy". Stuff like that. I guess I'm thinking along the lines of the Epic40k Emperors Tarot system.

Selkie

Many Thanks for posting that link Warlord Paul, I am just starting to put some undead together for halloween. This has given me lots of inspiration and ideas 8-)

I think the idea of a shadowy cabal of loosely aligned necromancers coordinating attacks as part of some greater scheme, has lots of potential. The main scheme/plan doesn't need to be particularly detailed or based on results or anything complicated, could just be a good bit of background story that gives the feeling your game is part of a larger narrative - maybe ties in to an extra objective or something.

If people wanted to go further then they could post a quick 'result' - just a rough win or loss for the forces of evil in their area. It could then be determined which regions of the country/world had survived the night, and which had fallen to darkness this Halloween..... ;)

Harry

As this is only a couple of weeks away ....
.... does anyone have any more thoughts on this?

Harry

Thanks Paul.
I will point Norse towards this to make sure his Narrative 'joins up' with this.

Anyone know how many games are actually happening in different places?

Norse

Printing up a little booklet on parchment paper for the players at the GROG event, if anyone is interested, PM me for the pdf.

I've made free with your text Paul, I hope you don't mind. Ensures all the players have read your background material. There is a modified necromancy spell list at the back of the booklet; the Zone of Life spell has been removed because of the potential problems, and I've added a new Memory of Life spell which allows Cabal necromancers to imbue their creations with glimpses of their former life.

The scenario I'm putting together doesn't quite fit in exactly with the overall story as written by Warlord Paul, but it is connected.

Each player is playing an individual necromancer, the only troops they can use will be those they manage to summon in-game. And things may be gathered from events and so on. Characters will be in the Cabal, but they won't be working together very much. Each is attempting to gather as many seeds as they can of the Bretonnian Pumpkin (which grows only in Mousillon and ripens only on Winter's Eve) which will provide them with magical potency, improving their standing when the great rite is enacted at the end of the scenario. Whilst the other necromancers are all members of the Cabal, they are definitely to be seen as rivals; the Necromancer with the most power at the end of the scenario will become the leader of the Mousillon Necromancers.

You are most welcome to use the background narrative as you see fit! I would appreciate a copy of that PDF if you get time to ping across to me too.

Harry

The result of the Night of the living lead from G.R.O.G.

The Necromancers were able to gather enough power and artifacts to ensure that the rite was enacted successfully at the end of the scenario ... despite the efforts of the Baron Boeuf De Bourguignon‎, the Villagers, a passing adventuring party and all manner of nasties.

Here are some pictures:

i5gc.jpg

1l93.jpg

7o6e.jpg

dh0q.jpg

8not.jpg

62pb.jpg

43jb.jpg

z0fy.jpg

Back