Wood Elf Ally Contingent

Jeff McC

Looking through things as I unpacked, I realized I had the makings of a Wood Elf Ally Contingent. Leader and Mage, 5 glade runners and a dozen archers, plus one lonely wardancer who may be the inspiration for future expansion of the force. I've made good progress so far, with the characters and the glade runners done...(Now let's see if I can get the picture to post)

Attachments

• elves overview small.JPG
    elves overview small.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 5,332

Jeff McC

And the glade runners - newer models, but rather pleased with how the cloaks turned out.

Attachments

• elves glade runners.JPG
    elves glade runners.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 5,331

Harry

Marvelous. I do like wood elves painted in browns. They actually look like they could disappear into a wood!
Nicely done.

phreedh

The Fat Git":gkfdcfz3 said:
Nice work. Those Waywatcher models are quite old now.
I remember when they were new and I thought they were too ornate and busy compared to the "proper" wood elf models. Now they look rather good.

The 90s are coming to get us, lads. Get in before it's too late. All those savage orcs nobody wants now will be worth a pretty penny in a few years, I'm telling you!

Asslessman

Count Von Bruno":3vise0to said:
Do they know they are about to be charged from behind by those Dwarves?

:lol: how did I miss that ! If they don't die becaus eof the charge, they surely will die of the shame of being charged in the rear by dwarves.

@Jeff : you and Goblin lee are really giving me the will do do a small wood elves contingent as well, DAMN another thing to collect ! ;)

Quick question
The head on your Mage is it a conversion taken from a 90's Wardancer? If so, excellent job on modelling the neck, it's something I've never quite managed.
And great job on your paint scheme, they appear autumnal but not neon autumnal, very well done.
Oh and at risk of having my oldhammer badge stripped; I like the 90's waywatcher sculpts and they are some of the best wood elf archers ever produced. There I said it.

Harry

I agree with you on those waywatchers ... great figures.
There were three different variations of that mage ... that is one of them.

Jeff McC

Rank and file archers are finished, moving on to the champion and standard bearer...

Attachments

• archers finished.JPG
    archers finished.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 2,593

Jeff McC

Just finished the Champion and Standard Bearer for the Archers. That finishes the contingent (at least until Ebay has some wardancers that I can't resist....) I'll try to get a picture of the whole contingent in better / daylight, although it's getting dark early enough that it may have to wait until the weekend.

Attachments

• Wood Elf Champ Std Front.JPG
    Wood Elf Champ Std Front.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 2,575
  • Wood Elf Champ Std Side.JPG
    Wood Elf Champ Std Side.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 2,575

Masterwork

I like the fact those spearmen have rope. When would elves use rope in combat? Who knows, but they have it just in case. No new miniatures have rope anymore! :(

All these wood elves means I should get on and paint a few more of mine! :mrgreen:

Asslessman

Masterwork":27ylzodm said:
I like the fact those spearmen have rope. When would elves use rope in combat? Who knows, but they have it just in case. No new miniatures have rope anymore! :(

All these wood elves means I should get on and paint a few more of mine! :mrgreen:

Agreed, all true scout knows a good knife and a length of rope is always needed when you dwell in the woods !
Not sure but I think there's rope in the Rhino option sprue :roll:

Rob_S

I agree the browns work great on wood elves. I would be interested in learning the base colour browns you used. I think my woodelf army is due a dip into the GreenStuff.

Jeff McC

Rob,
I used Army painter fur brown for sleeves and trousers, leather brown for gloves and boots. Oak brown for bows. I used P3 Sanguine Base as the base for the glade runners cloaks and for some of the archer cloaks, P3 Thornwood Green for bases and some archer cloaks. Yellows are Army Painter Desert Yellow and P3 Heartfire. Army Painter Angel Green as the accent color. Hope that helps.
-- Jeff

Jeff McC

As promised, a look at the full contingent on the table top.

Attachments

• full contingent.JPG
    full contingent.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 2,520

Jeff McC

Trips to the hobby shop can be dangerous...The ally contingent is now in danger of turning into a small army in it's own right. A trip to get primer ended up yielding 8 of these guys:

and 30 of these, which while less exciting, should provide a solid core for a 3rd edition army:

And ebay has yielded 4 wardancers to bring me up to the minimum unit size of 5

Time to get busy stripping minis! :)

Attachments

• more elves.JPG
    more elves.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 2,486
  • even more elves.JPG
    even more elves.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 2,486
  • wardancers.JPG
    wardancers.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 2,486