[MUSTER] Gyokurinti the Strangler's ordu

Aiteal

This will be my entry into the muster list.
Gyokurinti the Strangler's Ordu, I've collected enough minis this past few months to make a reasonable sized force, and thanks to the wonders of the internet even managed to find some period Mongolian names for my characters. Most of the minis are pictured below, but there's still a dozen or so soaking in dettol, not to mention a few in the picture which are due a stripping also
LvlpmQS.jpg

characters
    • Gyokurinti, the mutated hobgoblin follower of chaos from the old Book of Battalions, and general of the army.
      Mongke Kharash, the shaman - Mongke means eternal in old Monolian, and a Kharash was the name Mongolians gave to the captives they drove ahead of their armies to soak up missile fire, Mongke uses his necromantic powers to summon undead for this very same purpose - DL2 Shaman model
      Burilgi Qara, the assassin, Burilgi means destroyer and Qara means black in old Mongolian - DL2 Assassin model

rank and file forces
    • Gyokurinti's Hobyars 15 hobyars and Gyokurinti's personal bodyguard, made up from DL2 or C36 hobgoblins who are dual wielding or carrying double handed weapons. This unit also contains the army standard, which causes frenzy in hobgoblins so long as it is intact and hate towards any opponent in combat with this unit.
      Timur's wolves Timur is a slightly modified monsters starter set hobgoblin on a temple dog, his 9 wolf riding companions are made up from Vendel royal wolf riders.
      Batu's hobgoblin warriors Batu leads a unit of 30 C36 and a few old fantasy tribe hobgoblins
      Unegen's hobhound handlers Unegen is one of three handlers who look after the horde's 12 hobhounds
      Qorchi's rocket launcher (not pictured) the old hobgoblin rocket launcher model
      The Gurban Three trolls that have latched onto Gyokurinti's horde

So that's my main project for the next few months, I'm a slow painter with little free time, so it will probably take 6-8 months to get them done

Mostyn

Oooh, colour me excited. One of the best things about Oldhammer is the variety of armies.

I'm very jealous of your collection; can we expect a temple dog?

Aiteal

I have two temple dogs, and one slightly modified Monster's Starter Set Hobgoblin for one of them, (Samurai for teh other guy) I was bidding on the original hobgoblin mount this weekend on ebay, but it went for near 20quid for just the rider :(
So the majority of my mounted forces will be like this test model
I took a vendel goblin wold rider, took the top of his head off and using a little green stuff gave him a metal cap with fur-trim, with a yari from dixons minis I figured he'll pass for a hobgoblin raider, especially once i pop the Sashimono on his back
I did buy a few of the new Bushido minis temple dogs/shisas, but they are a little small, although they are beautiful sculpts, sadly, my plan of having a complete cavalry detachment on temple dogs may be a little bit off yet :(
ggGtyy1.jpg

Aiteal

This is the first of Gyokurinti's bodyguard unit, I've painted three versions of this model this week trying to settle on a colour palette to use for the hair, armour and skin tones. I want a pretty unified look for his personal unit, particularly as a subscribe to the notion of Hobgoblins being more militaristic/organised than the other goblinoid races.
I've settled on this version, using foundry tan triad for the skin as it's a bit more 'orangey' than the usual flesh triad from foundry. Red and white for armour pieces, and a teal blue for hair/helmet fur.
Bases will be left till the end.
O9SHOPI.jpg

lenihan

The problem with all these threads is they give me too many ideas. Now I feel the urge to collect some Dolgan Raiders with Centaur allies to fight them.

The Fat Git

lenihan":212h62wu said:
The problem with all these threads is they give me too many ideas. Now I feel the urge to collect some Dolgan Raiders with Centaur allies to fight them.

Wargames forums are the reason I don't get anything finished! I flit from forum to ebay and rarely achieve anything other than emptying my Paypal coffers and a ticking off from Mrs The Fat Git (who is neither fat or a git).

Aiteal

lenihan":2h3hy36t said:

Ha, I have the same plan, fortunately I have plenty of Jomsviking from musketeer minis I use for Saga to stand in for the Dolgans, and a Talisman Centaur to try to raid the Hobgoblin wains.

Golgfag1

Really nice looking Hob-goblin horde there :) , had a similar idea myself a number of years ago using pretty much the same kit - wasn't going anywhere with them at the time (about seventy figures); so, on to E bay they went to fund my endeavors with my Slann / Lizardmen :grin: and duly went off to Russia, such is life. :(

I wish you well with your project, please post your efforts as they progress.

Paul / Golgfag1

Aiteal

A small update, as I paint very slowly/infrequently :(
I left the bases undone for now as I fell in love with Goblinlee's autumnal bases and ran to ebay to order treemendous leaves which are in the post

Ibfvqq1.jpg

Jonas

Looks very awesome! I must get on with my own Hobgoblins at some point too.

I feel inspired by the colours too!

aggro84

Wow those are great!
I love the paint jobs.
Great collection as well.
I love those old school Hob Goblins!

Aiteal

Thanks Phreedh, it was kinda an accidental colour choice to be honest, I was about to give the first guy I painted a D&D style blue nose, but with a loaded paintbrush I chickened out and slapped it on his hair instead, and I quite liked it so I ran with that for the hair colour for the others.
I'm still working up the courage to paint Gyokurinti himself, even though I have two minis of him, I'm not sure I could do his Book of Battalions description justice, particularly his Chaos Attribute of brightly coloured skin, so I've been scouring the two RoC books and old heavy metal articles for inspiration :)

Naagruz

Awesome! Great to see the "real" hobgobs getting some love! Reminds me a bit of the color scheme on the SoL site. Great job all around. :grin:
So is Gyokurinti last in your que? Interesting & somewhat forgotten model.

Aiteal

Thanks Naagruz, it was your thread in the WIP section that inspired me to start filling the gaps in my collection and go for a hobgoblin horde.
I'm still missing quite a few of the C36 models, and I still don't have a Hobgoblin temple dog rider, I have the samurai and the DE however, so I'll try my luck when I get a trades list together.
Gyokurinti will be left for a little while yeah, i'm unsure how to tackle him based on his description.
I have two of the model, so I may post the one with the slightly damaged tail to you, and then I can copy your work ;)

Naagruz

Aiteal":hkbjol9p said:
Gyokurinti will be left for a little while yeah, i'm unsure how to tackle him based on his description.
I have two of the model, so I may post the one with the slightly damaged tail to you, and then I can copy your work ;)
Overly generous, but I'd be lost with two. :grin: I hear you on the damaged tail; it's hard to find one with a tail that cast cleanly.
I'm aiming to get to Gyokurinti before I dive into the mass of Lund minis. Funny thing about that mini is it shares the same body as the "Elite" from the Autumn '85 Citadel Journal.

Speaking of Temple Dogs, I'm definitely stealing this guys idea: http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/200 ... e-dog.html . The existing hobgob model isn't really dynamic enough for that type of pose, but Ghazak Khan would be a good fit.

Back