Anyone for an: Oxfordshire Oldhammer Gamers (OGG)?

Jimbobodoll

Hello there,

With the regional groups springing-up on this board, I wondered whether there is any regional interest from the Oxfordshire area?

We've a group to our left (Gloucestershire) and a group to our right (Greater London), but what about us in-between?

Personally: I'm in Oxford myself sitting on a soon-to-be-complete 3rd edition skaven army, plus copies of HQ and Ad.HQ... Anyone else out there?

EDIT: I've just noticed this chaps who meet in Wolvercote (who play WFB in addition to historical wargaming): http://www.oxfordwargamessociety.org.uk ... tions.html
Anyone from there on here?

Grumdril

Count me in.

There's also what seems to be a fairly active club in Abingdon, who play both WFB and WH40K, but I assume are unenlightened - http://www.abingdonwargames.org.uk/.

Edit: Seriously unpainted orcs and goblins here, with plans to branch out into dwarves and various other bits and bobs.

Chico

If any of you wonderful people in Oxford fancy a little trip to Watford for a game on a Wednesday night I'm happy to help and play you :)

Jimbobodoll

@ Grumdril: Did you see their sweet-sweet terrain though?

We're talking 3rd Edition Fantasy Rulebook detail-level terrain!

There are certainly options afoot then...

The problem with Watford (and was it Stroud in Gloucestershire?) Is that Oxfords almost equidistant between them. It's over an hour in the car each way as well... Whereas nice little Abingdon is just down the road from Oxford with Wolvercote even closer...

EDIT: *WUT* ...Then of course there's this club in Summertown Oxford, which despite me living here for 8 years, I'd never noticed... http://www.oxfordgamingclub.co.uk/ and they even have their own Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/OxfordGamingClub?filter=3 ...Plainly I've been spending too much time at work... :?

Golgfag1

Count me in.

Paul / Golgfag1

PS any of you chaps attending Colours, Newbury and if so, fancy meeting up? In fact this goes for anybody.

Jimbobodoll

Wonderful! That makes three of us then. I'm planning on heading over to the Summertown group on Monday evening to check it out. Will post back on here after.

In related news: My buddy from Paris visited the past two days, and much advanced heroquest fun was had... It's actually really really hard! Character options and combat is a bit limited though...

Jimbobodoll

...Headed over to the Summertown group. It's full and healthy in terms of numbers, variety, boards and terrain. I saw games of flames of war, 40k, bloodbowl, fantasy, and warmachine/hordes. Apparently that was a 'quiet' night as well as no students in town. It seems pretty tourny orientated though... There's a £15 yearly sub, plus fees for both playing and watching(!) that are slightly reduced if you're a member... That said, it's a big healthy group of players with some proper organisation (treasurer, secretary etc). This includes an opponent-finder on their forum for people to arrange games for the week(s) ahead.

Grumdril

Sounds promising.

Do we roughly agree on what we're looking for here? My thought is primarily we'd like a venue with tables available, some potential new blood / convertees would also be a bonus.

As long as the attendence fees are reasonable I have no problem with that, although the "watching" fee seems short sighted it's probably the only practical solution if you're trying to administer the playing fee. My only question would be on a busy night whether there's any problems over table availability, did they give any impression on that?

What are our next steps here? Probably first priority is to meet for beer as per Golgfag1's suggestion :) If we could then arrange a few games to play at the venue to have fun / show them the Oldhammer way / see what they think of us and vice versa then perhaps we can start to think longer term?

Paul / Grumdril

Jimbobodoll

Hello Paul/Grumdril,

I reckon we might be over-complicating things here. Why don't we just try and pinch a table at GW one games night (they do still have those don't they?) for the first couple of weeks?

My primary concern is that the Summertown group are going to want to see £17 up-front (minimum; and from each of us[!]) the first time we rock up - and that's quite the dis-incentive for an initial get-together.

In hindsight, I also wonder about a mis-matching ethos between us Oldhammer-ers(sp?) and this Summertown group. The two guys (out of three) who run it and whom I met seemed advocates of power-gaming for sure, and there was certainly quite a few unpainted armies floating around and talks of up-coming tournaments etc. If nothing else, I'd imagine that obtaining converts would be a tough job from such a crowd no? Questions such as "What's the name of your general?" and, "What could be a fun made-up rule to cover this unexpected eventuality?" didn't seem to be the kind of thing on their minds...

Re: Table availability: Can't imagine that there'd be a problem to be honest. The place is pretty big with lots of spare space and facilities. We're not talking some piddly room here, but a large community centre.

Beginning with beer is an excellent first step however! We can sort things out from there for sure. Having a laugh and creating some good stories is what it's all about really.

Cheers,

Jim

Golgfag1

I've just gained a problem with Monday evenings, my daughter wants to go to Ballroom dancing lessons and yes, you guessed it - I'm the lift, deep joy. So I'm more than happy to switch venues and give the 'power' gamers a miss. How about Abingdon on Friday evening (if I recall that's when they meet at the local conservative club)? But how about just meeting up and having a chat & a pint?

Paul / Golgfag1

weazil

Although there is probably enough reason to form some sort of Hampshire based one of these, I'm keeping an eye on you chaps as the closest one of these to me currently. Abingdon (or anything between there and Newbury) is just over an hour for me, so its not out of the question that I might be able to explore that once a month. I don't mind if you don't find a home there, but if you happen to, I might be able to tag along, is all :)

Grumdril

Beer: I can't do the next couple of weekends, or the evenings of 24th or 26th. Otherwise my calendar is clear this month.

Venue: I'm not sure GW will welcome us, we might expose their customers to independent thought. :) Plus the reason I'm only getting a single raised eyebrow from my wife about my new-found / re-found hobby is I've assured her that part of the point is to not give any money directly to GW :)

I take it we can't turn up to the Summertown club and only pay the playing fee not the joining fee? Ideally we'd sort out some scenarios ahead of time then play a game at each of Summertown / Wolvercote / Abingdon then chose a longer term venue based on atmosphere / convenience / etc.

If it comes to it I could almost certainly host, in that we could take over the kid's play room of an evening (slightly cramped perhaps - 10' by 7' of usable space) and fill it with a large (but bare) table. I don't have anything in the way of scenery, etc, but I'm sure we could improvise.

But first, beer!

Jimbobodoll

Beer first. Now that's the kind of plan that I'm sure we can all get behind! :grin:

I've no problem with any day of the week, so why don't we try and think about Fridays, and maybe the Abingdon club? (waves to weazil)

First and foremost though, lets agree to find a pub to chat and mull things over in - which will obviously be fursty work! ...Dry throat is such a common problem for Oldhammers I hear...

Grumdril, Golgfag1: As you've both got nippers, perhaps you two could work out a mutually agreeable date and venue? If you're thinking Oxford: preferably before the beginning of Orctober when the students start back...

Cheers,

Jim

Jimbobodoll

If you guys would be interested, i've also copies of heroquest and ad.heroquest that we could work through... Just fyi as it's a lot less effort to setup and play.

Grumdril

Golgfag1 suggested I chose a time and place for an initial beer / meeting, which I've singularly failed to do! :(

Perhaps, as a short list (I'm assuming Weds this week is too short notice, I'm a bit booked up the other days :( ) -

• Wed 25 Sep - Oxford, All Bar One on the High Street (or another venue if you have good ideas, I don't know Oxford that well for drinking venues)
  • Fri 27 Sep - Abingdon, Broad Face on Bridge Street (we could perhaps trundle along to the wargames club for a quick nose around after an initial beer or two)

Let me know your preference.

Paul / Grumdril

Golgfag1

Either ones good for me, but given a choice Friday would be better

Paul / Golgfag1

Grumdril":2ikmvfs5 said:
Golgfag1 suggested I chose a time and place for an initial beer / meeting, which I've singularly failed to do! :(

Perhaps, as a short list (I'm assuming Weds this week is too short notice, I'm a bit booked up the other days :( ) -

• Wed 25 Sep - Oxford, All Bar One on the High Street (or another venue if you have good ideas, I don't know Oxford that well for drinking venues)
  • Fri 27 Sep - Abingdon, Broad Face on Bridge Street (we could perhaps trundle along to the wargames club for a quick nose around after an initial beer or two)

Let me know your preference.

Paul / Grumdril

Jimbobodoll

Hello Pauls, (how convenient for me!)

I can make either date, though I suspect that at-least one of you is Abingdon-based right? (hence favouring Abingdon and Friday). Like-wise for me, Oxford, and Wednesday really...

Still, lets get this ball rolling and go with Abingdon and Friday eh? Shall we set a time to meet? Again, with your little ones, I suspect it's going to be simpler for you two to liaise first! Drifting over to the Abingdon club sounds like a good idea too.

Nice that we're pulling this together. Perhaps weazil might be tempted north out of Hampshire as well? ;)

Jim

Grumdril

I'm the Abingdon-based one, so no fit-up, honest! :)

How does 8pm sound as a meeting time? However as I've the least distance to travel I'm happy to fit around whatever time really.

Paul / Grumdril

Back