Hero for DUNGEONQUEST

Today I played my second SOLO game with the classic 1987 year boardgame DUNGEONQUEST, using my painted miniature from Heroes for DUNGEONQUEST: Sir Roland the Knight.

The object of the game is to enter the ruins of Dragonfire Castle at dawn when the castle's guardian dragon falls asleep, navigate a labyrinth to the dragon's hoard at the center of the castle, and exit the castle.

Background:
Sir Roland looked up at the castle, which was bathed in an ankward sunlight, which softened the grim image that was burned in his mind. "There isn't a man alive now who has been into the Castle and returned".

Overview of the board:
P1060433.JPG

STA78572.JPG

STA78575.JPG

rola.jpg

P1060440.JPG

Sir Roland meet some Vampire Bats in a room.
"Loathsome creatures! You won't stop me from going on!"

P1060443.JPG

Sir Roland find a Dead Adventurer and collects from his corpse some Golden Guineas 20GP.
"Poor man! May he rest in peace..."

P1060449.JPG

Sir Roland meet a Mounain Troll in a Room, he choose to Wait & See and the Troll Flee.
"Pitiful coward! I thought the monsters of this castle were more courageous..."

P1060452.JPG

Sir Roland receive a Sneak Attack from a Troll (probably the same that fled), he is injured but defeat the Troll.
"Vile creature! This will be your last heinousness! Prepare to DIE!"

P1060454.JPG

Sir Roland find another Dead Adventurer and collects a Necklace 150GP from the Corpse.
"Another poor man perished in this diabolical place... I'm sorry good man, but you will not need this treasure anymore..."

P1060457.JPG

Sir Roland finally arrive in the Treasure Room. He is lucky, the Dragon is sleeping. He collects two Treasure of 250GP and 2200GP value.
"Blessed be the gods... The Dragon is sleepy..."

P1060458.JPG

The Torch of Sir Roland Goes Out, but he will turn the flashlight back on in the next turn.

P1060460.JPG

Sir Roland find a Crypt, inside it there is a Potion.

P1060463.JPG

Sir Roland try to open a closed door but it is jammed shut.

P1060465.JPG

Sir Roland meet a Mountain Troll he choose to Wait & See and fight with him. He is injured but defeat the Troll.
"This place abounds of disgusting Trolls!" DIE horrible creature!"

P1060468.JPG

Sir Roland find another Crypt, but there is a Trap inside.
"It's a TRAP!"

P1060469.JPG

Sir Roland is attacked by a Giant Spider, he is injured and will defeat it in the next turn.
"Another Monster! Seem that the Gods abandoned me! But I will not give up!"

P1060472.JPG

Sir Roland find another Dead Adventurer collecting a Potion that he will use to cure himself in the next turn.
"Thanks dear friend, your healing potion will save me."

P1060474.JPG

Unfortunatelly, Sir Roland meet his fate in the next room. A Bottomless pit. He roll a 7 with d12, more than his agility of 4 and then could not avoid to fall on it.
"YAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaargggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! ... ?! By the Gods! This pit seem really Bottomless!"

twisted moon

great report. not sure why it hasn't occurred to me to break out dungeonquest.
i need to finish the bases on my figures.

Sleepysod

twisted moon":3ryqzy2l said:
great report. not sure why it hasn't occurred to me to break out dungeonquest.
i need to finish the bases on my figures.

Seconded! I played maybe 12 months ago but it occurred to me it was overly complicated and would have benefited a bit from stealing some of the rules from talisman. Will have to have another shot after this excellent report.

I think the rules are quite simple, even the special rules for the characters from Heroes for Dungeonquest. However I have not yet played with the full combat rules, in the SOLO option there is just a simple roll on a D12 table.
It could be true that winning in this game is hard (about 15% rate of success), but this is a game done for fun (not competitive) and is nice to enjoy the whims of fate in the dungeon :grin:

symphonicpoet

Very sorry he didn't make it out. Even sorrier he carried all that fine loot to the bottom of the bottomless pit. Maybe the dragon will collect it all again and add it to her collection. Ah well. Another adventurer will try later, no doubt.

Anyway . . . looks like you had fun even if it didn't quite work out. :)

symphonicpoet":1hbtqomh said:
Very sorry he didn't make it out. Even sorrier he carried all that fine loot to the bottom of the bottomless pit. Maybe the dragon will collect it all again and add it to her collection. Ah well. Another adventurer will try later, no doubt.

Anyway . . . looks like you had fun even if it didn't quite work out. :)

I think that the fun of the game is to see how you adventurer will perish after surviving the several dangers :grin:
Actually if you understand and accept the high probability of failure, it is a nice game. However more winning players could hate it ;)

portman

I love these old board games and that does indeed look a fun one.

Sorry to hear he didn't survive - but that is an excellently painted mini!

Tanath

wonderful to follow you through your quest and I remember playing this game with my sister one time and having good memories from my experiences.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Back