Citadel JD, Paranoia AND Gothic Horror

Sleepysod

inchmurrin":smxmu5wp said:
The Elemental is a beautiful(?) sculpt all sorts of revolting detail anda great job you have done of it. I think it is the basis of all the Nurgle stuff that followed

Completely! Lots of pock marks and scabs - someone had fun and then decided they wanted to do a whole range.

Sleepysod

Through some great trading on the website I have finally acquired Wee-B-Bad (aka 'Hick Guard') and completed the whole Citadel Paranoia collection.

He jumped to the top of my painting pile, but sadly he's not a great sculpt - certainly not up to the quality of some of the others in the range. And my paint job is a bit basic, definitely not my best piece of work. I'm happy enough with him - he's "done" - but I may revisit him in due course. Just glad to get my hands on an incredibly illusive miniature.

Front view

Back view

I've also finished a blue trooper (Vulture Guard) - that leaves two troopers left to paint (officer and whip) and the troubleshooter with the flamethrower - all of them have base coats and some inking/highlights so they aren't too far off.

Am actually quite happy how he's turned out, even if I didn't use the "official" colour scheme. Sorry these photos really don't do him justice at all. Once I've finished them all it will be time for another group shot with a proper background and lighting and whatnot...

Front view

Back view

Congratulations, always nice to complete a collection. I take it that you’ve managed to resist adding the unreleased commies to your wants list?

Any thoughts yet on what your next big thing will be when all your Dredd, Paranoia and Gothic Horror figures are painted?

Sleepysod

Citizen Sade":4tjg8epl said:
Congratulations, always nice to complete a collection. I take it that you’ve managed to resist adding the unreleased commies to your wants list?

Any thoughts yet on what your next big thing will be when all your Dredd, Paranoia and Gothic Horror figures are painted?

I'll keep an eye out for unreleased commies, but I'm guessing they are as rare as hen's teeth - and as they are unreleased I don't feel the compulsion. I did win a Futsie (fusty) recently from eBay - he was advertised as an unreleased commie cart - but from the photo he clearly wasn't.

I bid on him because I thought, even misadvertised, he was a rarity at auction and I didn't really expect to win. He was actually fairly cheap (postage cost more than the mini), but annoyingly he is definitely a recast. Not certain the seller knew. I'll still paint him up, but i feel a bit cheated and I would be gutted if I pursued a real unreleased model, spent serious cash and found out it was a fake.

Next up... well I still have a few more Dredd and Gothic Horror to go (and I'm painting a few other non-citadel bits and bobs), but I've one or two Bloodbowl minis (maybe...) and Talisman is a background burner....

Sleepysod":1sofr5wu said:
I'll still paint him up, but i feel a bit cheated and I would be gutted if I pursued a real unreleased model, spent serious cash and found out it was a fake.

One time I bought a large lot of Ice Warriors of Valhalla, which shipped from Russia. They were fakes. They were so high quality, the only way I could tell they were fakes, was because a 2-piece comms operator was cast as a single piece.

Edit: Home 3D printers are in the dot matrix phase of life. When they pupate and become the equivalent of inkjet or laser printers, and the 3D scanners become an app on your phone... lookout, everything will be knocked off with a vengeance.

twisted moon

i love the vulture guard, a unit of those wouldn't look out of place as a security team or mercenary company in rogue trader.

Sleepysod

twisted moon":2jxunpk5 said:
i love the vulture guard, a unit of those wouldn't look out of place as a security team or mercenary company in rogue trader.

They're great sculpts aren't they? when I git this one I tried to follow the theme for the others in the Paranoia range that I had painted up - but the "official" paint scheme from Hill Sector Blues is also a great choice https://www.paperbackswap.com/Paranoia- ... 874310512/

At some point I may have to buy another and have a second crack at him

Sleepysod

So I have only finished one of what I would call "official" oldhammer miniatures this week. And I'm ok with him, but I've done better. He's been half painted for a while so it was really just a case of finishing some details off. I present "Kneedpad Jones" from the Citadel JD 3 perps range.

Front

Back

I have also however done some work on my gribblies for Call of Cthulhu - Citadel only did investigators and NPCs - see the Gothic Horror range http://www.collecting-citadel-miniature ... hic_Horror so they needed some monstrous opponents to confront.

There are a few suitable monsters lurking in other ranges including the C18 Night Horrors range, but I've looked further afield and have picked up some blind beggar cultists and fishy like civilians - which are still to be finished - and some really nice fishman ("Bucca") from Oakbound studios which I have raced through (below).

Whilst they are recent sculpts and not Citadel I think their aesthetic is suitably old skool and blends right in with what I see as the ethos of oldhammer (also it warns on the pack that they contain lead so, yeah, that's oldhammer enough for me). They were also dead easy to paint and I think complement the Citadel fishman I showed earlier. Hopefully you agree. [Admins: If not appropriate I can remove].

Priest

Hunting party with trident

Hunting party with net

Sleepysod

symphonicpoet":afjcbuig said:
Eat at Mo's or eat Mo? . . . Who's fishing for who? They look great. :)

Yeah who is Mo? Have three more fishy folk emerging from the waters and will splodge some paint on them over the weekend hopefully.

Meanwhile.... i finally finished this lad. He's been on facebook and twitter already - just because its easier to upload images, so apologies if you've seen him this week already.

He's the first "big base" that I've had a shot at and i think i just about pulled it off. Issue is that he is doing the splits (sort of). Too big for a normal monster base and the rocks molded on his feet dictated the type of terrain base he'd need to sit on. There's a lot of empty space so sacrificial remains have been piled up, and I think they work reasonably well. Was tempted to put a Gothic Horror dead body in front of him, but tiny steps before I can run. I think he is 'finished' in the sense that i don't need to do anymore, but he's also a WIP in that I can see small bits I'd like to improve.

Sleepysod

Not Citadel Judge Dredd, Paranoia or anything to do with the world of Cthulhu....just a nice simple everyday water elemental.

Sleepysod

dazza36":1znn0hzn said:
Might be a simple water elemental but its beautifully painted

Thanks - simple inking and dry brushing for the most part - really nice sculpts. Would like the air and fire elementals but they are a bit pricey on evil bay.

Sleepysod":3do65b6l said:
dazza36":3do65b6l said:
Might be a simple water elemental but its beautifully painted

Thanks - simple inking and dry brushing for the most part - really nice sculpts. Would like the air and fire elementals but they are a bit pricey on evil bay.

Which is weird, considering they were made available direct from GW as recently as the early 2010's.

Back