Oldhammer Slaanesh Warband

Hello!
I have been an Oldhammer enthusiast for awhile now. I have posted pics on other forums but someone only just now found this one. I have, like many people, been painting a LOT of miniatures in this time of Nurgle. I am not a good painter: I can't draw a straight line with a ruler! I have no talent, only the sheer will to use nothing but painted models.

Anyways I have been rolling up a Slaaneshi warband using the ROC book. It's almost done, just another batch of humans/beastmen to go then I'll call it a day. I wound up mostly using plastic Battlemasters figures for this. The fact is, in the US, in the late 80's and early 90's, Heroquest and Battlemaster's were just about the only WFB minis I could've gotten my hands on, so there's a fair bit of nostalgia for them for me.

Here's how the warband began. 9 human followers, a champion with pointy head, and a sorceror with demon-steed head.

usyVE70.jpg

mz2Bfic.jpg

Here's where it is now:

OAF2XCG.jpg

This has gone in phases of rolling which I won't bore you with. Basically I am trying to simulate the development of a warband across a campaign while I can't play with my friends.

I had grand ideas for shield devices but the old Battlemaster's shields are so wonky it just wouldn't work out. So I painted over them with the simplest Slaaneshi device I could think of.

My last and final roll told me to add 6 more beastmen and 7 more humans. After that I will probably just make a Chaos Spawn conversion to show the final fate of the champion. He started out as an old metal wizard or something with bony armor and a missing weapon, that I'd gotten second hand in a pile of stuff. So I gave him an old plastic orc axe. Then in simulated "gifts" from Slaanesh, I heavily mutated him with 2 new heads growing out of his back, and a skeleton arm growing out of his breastplate. I wish I knew exactly what he was: I'd love to get a second copy of the casting to make a final spawn or demon prince conversion.

That is a great looking Warband and good to see them evolve, mutate and grow! would be good to see a close up sometime of the mutated Champion, looks great with the skeleton arm . looking forward to see more as the Warband grows and spreads.

Pygmy Witch Doctor":1q76lovt said:
That is a great looking Warband and good to see them evolve, mutate and grow! would be good to see a close up sometime of the mutated Champion, looks great with the skeleton arm . looking forward to see more as the Warband grows and spreads.

Here ya go. He's really hard to photograph because the bits poking off in all directions mess with the camera's auto focus.

Dy6Ale4.jpg

fj4DQZ3.jpg

kMkjT2Z.jpg

Some earlier WIP pics of him.

oL7Ywip.jpg

Ekkw3u2.jpg

Caradepato":2mamludc said:
Those look really good, very fond of their colourful nature. Feels right for those miniatures.

Thanks. I think when I conclude the warband I will "round up" each group of henchmen to the nearest 6, to make 3rd edition Slaaneshi regiments for Warhammer Fantasy. Providing, of course, I can find enough cheap deals on Battlemasters replacement parts!

Humby50

Really nice, love seeing the old battle masters models get some TLC. Dunno if you were saying you're not sure what your champion was originally but in case you're still interested in looking out for another one he's a chaos sorcerer called darumogt lizard priest as shown in this link. Hope that helps, sorry if that's not what you meant!

http://www.solegends.com/citcat1991b/ca ... ors-02.htm

symphonicpoet

Brings a new meaning to the phrase "I got your back." :grin: Some lovely lovely stuff here. Not sure how I missed it, but I like your pointy head and horsehead champions too. :)

So, the Slaaneshi warband is finished. I rolled it up to begin with, painted that, then rolled 4 times on the retinue table, painting each roll before moving on. I haven't decided if the leader should devolve to spawndom, be elevated to demonhood, or if instead of either of these, if his retinue should expand into a full WFB army and invade The Olde World.

xRlVfnN.jpg

Next up is a Khornate Warband!

Edit: As I look at these pics now, I wish I had painted the bows pink. With purple skulls on the ends. It woulda been perfect. I might try painting over one and if it works, redo them all.

So it has been decided. The warband is expanding to a full size army to invade the Olde World. I have added another goblin to the regiment and painted a new regiment of 10 chaos warriors. One of them had a broken halberd so it naturally enough became a standard bearer. These guys give me enough sheer points to be a proper army. I also added an ogre which I found in storage, painted 10+ years ago and found this week. I also painted a 2nd old metal champion and 2nd mage, just because. I have 10 orcs on the painting table now... at which point I am all out of Battlemasters plastic and the army will be done until I find more for cheap. I'd like to someday round all the regiments up to 12/20 (depending on base size), add two more ogres, and a regiment of Battlemasters wolf riders and mounted chaos knights.

e5L5oVo.jpg

ohjUAiw.jpg

AgfipCy.jpg

With the addition of an orc regiment, I am all out of random Battlemasters chaos figures. And thus, the warband of Samson the Licentious grew into a full fledged army. Growing bold in their turpitude, they left the Chaos Wastes to spread ecstasy and despair far and wide.

qXozOKA.jpg

Someday I hope to find enough to get the goblins and archers up to 20, and the orcs, chaos warriors and beastmen up to 12. At that point I'll have 4 regiments of heavy infantry ranging from poor to excellent, and one regiment of average light infantry. Plus two close combat monsters and 4 characters. Imbalanced, yes, but continued acquisitions of Battlemasters chaos bits lots may yield a regiment or two of heavy cavalry bringing the army much more into balance.

Caradepato

The expansion is looking good! Creative motif for the warrior shields - in keeping with slaanesh, but stylised so that it is not vulgar.

Also, is that a plastic goblin banner I see?

Yeah it's from a ziploc full of old Goblin Regiment bits I have. That guy had a snapped off halberd head, so, seemed like the right thing to do.

The shield design was the only thing I could come up with for the shape of the warrior shields.

Plaiecivile

Great to see so much Battle Master stuff put to use, I am working on that myself!
I really like what you did with those chaos bowmen.

On that ogre... have you considered turning his gut shield into a very distinctive nipple shield? ;)

And I don't recall ever seeing that rune on the chaos warriors shields, please explain :lol:

Back