Baggage trains

lenihan

So one of the things I'm finding so attractive about 3rd edition is the set of rules for baggage trains. Ok, it might get annoying if they were a feature of every game, but for particular scenarios and campaigns, they are fantastic. I'm quite keen to build a baggage train for my high elf expeditionary force, and I have a vaguely appropriate cart, but so far only one appropriate unarmed fellow to accompany the baggage.

My question to you guys is: what do you do for unarmed/ civilian/ camp follower figures? Do you convert armed figures for the purpose, or do you buy specific figures? Are there any particular suppliers worth checking out that produce oldhammer-style camp followers? (Obviously I'm particularly interest in elf-like camp followers, but I'm more broadly interested in how you deal with this element of 3rd ed for whatever army)

Or do you just skip the baggage rules?

ardyer

lenihan":1fimuhwm said:
So one of the things I'm finding so attractive about 3rd edition is the set of rules for baggage trains. Ok, it might get annoying if they were a feature of every game, but for particular scenarios and campaigns, they are fantastic. I'm quite keen to build a baggage train for my high elf expeditionary force, and I have a vaguely appropriate cart, but so far only one appropriate unarmed fellow to accompany the baggage.

My question to you guys is: what do you do for unarmed/ civilian/ camp follower figures? Do you convert armed figures for the purpose, or do you buy specific figures? Are there any particular suppliers worth checking out that produce oldhammer-style camp followers? (Obviously I'm particularly interest in elf-like camp followers, but I'm more broadly interested in how you deal with this element of 3rd ed for whatever army)

Or do you just skip the baggage rules?

For Dwarfs, I like the pony with mine car that was sold with the Battle for Skull pass set. That's what I'm planning on using for the train anyway.

Zhu Bajie

High elves you're a bit stuck...

Perrys do some nice Pilgrims that could be useful

cu27.jpg

oriental townsfolk

SAM%2051.JPG

lovely wagon

BH%2065.jpg

Otherworlds expanding Hirelings range, like...

DSCN0735.JPG

cheers for the photo Erny;"-)

For some elven non-combatants:

Redbox games do an elven bard...

RBG%20Aelfar%20Epierre%20the%20Entertainer.JPG

and Tom Meier does a Guinevere that might be useful

3002_1024x1024.gif

and a wood elf lord and lady.
ElfSize_1024x1024.jpg

Mithril do some, might be worth poking around their site.

Glorfindel
mc4.jpg

mm448.jpg

lenihan

Very nice suggestions, thank you!

Those otherworld hirelings look particularly good, though the website doesn't seem to offer them on sale at present?

That is a nice covered wagon. I've actually gone for this wagon:

img2125.jpg

It's a South African wagon from North Star figures (that's their image of it from the website). Having now assembled and started to paint it for myself, it looks a little more modern than I was hoping (what was I expecting for a Boer-war period model, I guess), there's something about the shape that I find in keeping with the high elf aesthetic, but I'll just have to see how it works when I'm finished. It'll do for now, anyway.

Just John

If you paint the wagon in colour as opposed to plain timber it should look less historical and more fantastical. Maybe some woodland garlands and the like as well.

Zhu Bajie

With the right paint-job that wagon could be perfect for HE.

the Otherworld hirelings in the photo are an indiegogo exclusive, but they have more like them on the way (including a small cart).

lenihan

I think you guys are right about the paint job being what matters on this. I've painted it timber for now, but I'd welcome advice from people at the Oldhammer weekend (or in general) on alternative styles. Just John's idea of woodland garlands bringing something to it is a real winner though, I think, going to look into that in the meantime.

Erny

It is important to think a little outside the box for some races, notably undead but others too. For high elves surely pavilions and organised tented barracks are the order of the day rather than a bedraggled bunch of camp followers. We also used to use wounded figures. There is a nice Jes war dancer with his head bandaged that is reasonably common and cheap (I may even have a spare you can have), others to use would be bards as noted, watching high class civilians, just like the Victorians used to do, even the odd actual guard.

Try reaper for more civilian looking elves.

Baggage trains are great, and I keep meaning to do a blog post on them. If anyone has a copy of Warhammer Skirmish there are some nice examples and ideas for baggage trains in there (also slave trains!).

Just John

There are actually some good bits and pieces in that Warhammer Skirmish book, never realised that before. Thanks CC

Just John

I was going to print it in black and white then photocopy to get that authentic 80's feel :grin:

And to save Zhu the trouble

download.jpg

I'm a huge fan of baggage trains... party because they require so much customization and improvisation (at least for the non-human races)... there's no better way to personalize your army.

Here's a picture of my 1000 point wood elf army baggage. I think (???) the pack animals are from Wargames Foundry but I'm not sure (I can't seem to find them on the Foundry website when I looked today, so I'm no longer sure where I got them).

Elf%2BBaggage%2BComplete.jpg

I'd love to see other people's baggage (or is that a rude question?)

lenihan

Hey, that's a damn cool baggage train! Well done. In spite of starting this thread, still not got round to doing this myself. Oops.

Erny

I have the wounded war dancer lined up for my elvish baggage train but the converted javelin thrower is inspired!

Protist

I've been thinking about this for my Dark Elves - can't go raiding without some way of carrying the loot. I'll probably scratch built some ramshackle wagons (pinch the gold and the wheels so they can't chase you!) but been a bit unsure about who to populate it with. I'd quit like some captured peasants, perhaps a slave master and some slaves and some camp followers too - any ideas?

Protist":1bk9t6wx said:
I've been thinking about this for my Dark Elves - can't go raiding without some way of carrying the loot. I'll probably scratch built some ramshackle wagons (pinch the gold and the wheels so they can't chase you!) but been a bit unsure about who to populate it with. I'd quit like some captured peasants, perhaps a slave master and some slaves and some camp followers too - any ideas?

I used some old crap civilians from Foundry I had knocking around for my DE baggage trains. One day I'll finish them.

Not a baggage train exactly but I've always wanted to do a Cavalcade of Nurgle, one of these days I might even start one. I have been looking at beggars and cripples, but they're hard to find so trying to make a horde of them isn't easy. But maybe I'll do a few circus wagons or gypsy carts one of these days

Back