Citadel JD, Paranoia AND Gothic Horror

symphonicpoet

I'm really struggling with a small-headed miniature right now. Lovely model, but there's only so small I can paint eyes successfully. And this is frustrating the bejesus out of me. Anyway, those two look just fine and I really love Mr. Fu. Great face, great detail, lovely work!

Sleepysod

Have temporarily mixed it up and gone back to the JD collection. First up a mutant with two heads.

And then here's his mate with a gigantic gun.

...the wires took a while...

Lastly I had another shot at a Night Horrors fishman - I tried out a different colour scheme and also experimented with Vallejo water effects. Still want more fishiness if anyone has one going spare ;)

symphonicpoet

^^Did he come with that shoulder mounted spotlight, or is that a conversion? Looks very RT. Either way, well done!

(Fishface looks really nice too.)

Sleepysod

symphonicpoet":2shnq9oe said:
^^Did he come with that shoulder mounted spotlight, or is that a conversion? Looks very RT. Either way, well done!

Genuine original unaltered mutie from the Citadel JD3 range. :razz:

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Judge_Dredd#JD3_-_Muties

I think that quite a few elements from the Judge Dredd miniatures range may have made their way in the very early RT range (e.g. guns, arms, legs, face etc may have been reused more than once), but I think this is the only miniature with this particular "bazooka".

today's effort (still to be finished, but keen to share), is another Gothic Horror "Illuminati".

symphonicpoet

Sleepysod":16ez085w said:
symphonicpoet":16ez085w said:

Thanks - do you think the blue is better than the green version? (I’m thinking of getting some Bob Murch Cthulhu 1928 Deep ones/fish men and am deciding on styles. I think the green in any case could have been highlighted up a bit more

https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=12128

Green would seem to be standard, but options options...

That's a tough question. Looking at them side by side, I think the details stand out a little better on the blue one, but the eyes have more pop on the green one. They're both really good. But I do truly love what you did with the base on the blue one. I assume that's a clear acrylic? Looks fantastic! Squamous. And properly batrachian.

Sleepysod

symphonicpoet":2lc865mx said:
Sleepysod":2lc865mx said:
symphonicpoet":2lc865mx said:

Thanks - do you think the blue is better than the green version? (I’m thinking of getting some Bob Murch Cthulhu 1928 Deep ones/fish men and am deciding on styles. I think the green in any case could have been highlighted up a bit more

https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=12128

Green would seem to be standard, but options options...

That's a tough question. Looking at them side by side, I think the details stand out a little better on the blue one, but the eyes have more pop on the green one. They're both really good. But I do truly love what you did with the base on the blue one. I assume that's a clear acrylic? Looks fantastic! Squamous. And properly batrachian.

Its called Vallejo Water Texture Acrylic - i chose a lipped base and simply poured it in - first experiment but am pleased with how easy it was to use.

Sleepysod

Despite the heat have manged to paint up a couple of C18 ghouls (anyone know of any other that would blend in with these?) and a talisman inquisitor - all courtesy of Citizen Sade. Lovely minis.

Well done, you’re putting my output to shame. To be fair, that’s not hard as I only ever seem to paint a few figures for BOYL these days. Liking the ghoul skin, which paint did you use?

With regards to filling your ranks, I think that the first release ADD93 Ghouls from way back when Citadel had the TSR license would be a good fit. As would the ADD96 Zombies if you want to go there. That said, the Kev Adams ones are great too.

LINK

P.S. edit. Check out the ADD94 Ghasts too.

Sleepysod

Thanks for the tip - the AD&D range is something I’ve not really explored in detail, had some blink dogs and an illusionist from the range but I think that’s about it - now I’m thinking of my next collection activity....

Paint on ghouls is Vallejo German c beige wwII, and the army painter necrotic flesh lightened with Vallejo ivory, plus light and dark tone washes. Really simple but great effects I think - helps that the miniatures are stand outs. I have a plague elemental which I’m think of doing in same style.

Jonas

Oh boy, great stuff just continues coming on this thread.

I really should use more time on this fora :grin:

Sleepysod

Jonas":15c6te6v said:
Oh boy, great stuff just continues coming on this thread.

I really should use more time on this fora :grin:

Always nice to get positive feedback - really helps keeps me motivated.

Whilst I'm relatively late to this forum I was a 'lurker' for several years. I'm also now part of the various Oldhammer Facebook groups (along with the rest of the world it seems) - but whilst its nice and easy to post photos to Facebook this forum feels like the real home for Oldhammer.

For example I also joined the Facebook trading group, but am disturbed by some of the prices that are being posted - often in excess of eBay BIN prices - and so many recent sculpts that people seems to be missing the point.

As an aside I also noticed that COVID-19 has led to an increase in the number of oldhammer blogs being revised, its a shame that they don't appear to be linked to the forum anymore.

Lots of the prep work for previous BOYL's inspired me to pick up the paintbrushes again, and it would be great if those links were re-established (have they been lost automatically? or is it a conscious decision to de-link themselves from the forum do you think?) and it would be great if those original posters were active here again.

Sleepysod

The two ghouls were very easy paint jobs, but I thought the results were effective and fun to paint - so much so that I finally had a go at a Citadel C29 Plague Elemental.

Very pleased with this one - and i don't think the photos do him justice at all. The miniature doesn't seem to photograph well (he's very two dimensional), but sitting on my desk looking down on him as I type I think he looks great. Highlighting and dry brushing emphasized loads of skins textures, ribs, bones and warts that sadly don't appear on the photos.

symphonicpoet

Even if, as you say, he looks better in person he still looks pretty stunning in photograph. That's a big pile of rotting and diseased meat shambling along there. :) Well done! A truly horrifying horror.

inchmurrin

The Elemental is a beautiful(?) sculpt all sorts of revolting detail anda great job you have done of it. I think it is the basis of all the Nurgle stuff that followed

Sleepysod

Tauntaun Scout":3huktnqp said:
This thread makes me wanna paint my big pile of Grenadier Combat Zone/Kill Zone minis.

They are a lovely range- have a few of the more mad max type ones in a semi painted state

Sleepysod

symphonicpoet":21kaxe4z said:
Even if, as you say, he looks better in person he still looks pretty stunning in photograph. That's a big pile of rotting and diseased meat shambling along there. :) Well done! A truly horrifying horror.

He’s definitely going to make a reappearance in a gothic horror esq diorama at some point. Glad you like

Back