My Quest for the Lost Plastics

Plaiecivile

It needed a name, now it has one.
That growing idea deep down my skull, a search to understand my attachment to the hobby.

I began in 1995, the golden age of monopose plastic miniatures.
There were lots of very nice middlehammer metal miniatures coming out, but I was 10 years old and the entry door was through those plastics kits of 6 to 10 troops, decals and a lot of imagination to try to build command miniatures out of anything I could get from the recycling or of my mother’s handcraft table. My friends and I would roam around yard sells trying to find any decent miniatures at low cost to bolster the ranks of how “armies”, and search for customers to clean the weeds and branches to get a couple of bucks.

Thinking of it, the pure feeling of freedom going through this whole process of creativity, the rush felt each time we would make an interesting finding and the excitement to share my newest idea/creation with friends were probably the key to how I got hooked so bad ;)

And now, it is time to delve back in those memories. My intention is to compile those old plastics, sometime from Games Workshop, sometime from other more mainstream game producers, and give a couple of those miniatures the look I imagined, but with my more… mature skills! Because yes, back in 1995, I sometimes massacred certain kits that could have been spared… lol

And now let’s begin with my newest acquisition, Battle Masters from Milton Bradley.

OwYMjF3S5q43qli0l8jhBOdaER0ZlcJCnpi41MOxmg83fGYLXGUVAh3ZCdParIz6KQRshEhEZXvDtEyFjyU7SvHsuP60SmD9sg9c95bMPQjGNOW6pfp1bExJZ81oapvV6LF90j4CTA=w800

20 CAD$ for that box… and its condition is a nightmare!
All troops were glued to the movement trays with some kind of PVC piping glue, but someone decided at some point to remove them, damaging feet and the actual movement trays.
Stickers are unaligned when not missing… and the mold lines! And of course, 80% of lances and halberds are broken or missing.

Overall, that Quest for the Lost Plastics will be a blast! 8-)

7l3Ci_b5uVptqW6TSiKfXFNwfTe8b3z2tQ2p6uA0kYPHQEgMgi2BZtwiJ7u7q1PzBSTuouzE4OAX9apvMggEJXzvvZhoZ_iZnupwoGnwNZj5e49denYA62ERMjRg9lX2PaDWKyCajw=w1000

Mophus

Love the old plastics, too! Checked your website - it seems the pressure to make scratch builds in your youth, was the basis for your fantastic conversions today.

portman

That games looks cool and I wish you luck in your quest!

I love those old MB/GW games - I've just purchased the last few bits I need to complete my Space Crusade set - played a few games already and it was great fun.

Mophus

Bought recently a Battle Masters box, too. I use a small screwdriver, which fits perfectly in the slots, and use it as an lever to loosen the glued miniatures.

All stickers are available in the BGG downloads.

Plaiecivile":5nj7adyo said:
And the mould lines!
I am cleaning the miniatures for two weeks. The empire is already finished, but the evil hordes are still waiting to be cleaned. I am afraid if I can preserve my sanity until the set is finished.

The vast majority (except dwarves) of my armies are from Battlemasters, and I still have a lot left over frowm the 3 boxed sets I managed to acquire. As in your case, a lot were broken and missing, but I have compiled a great deal and painted a goodly amount of them.

Depending on what you are after I may have what you are looking for. Feel free to PM me to assist in your quest.

Mophus

I've just bought another box for 50 € in good condition. The offer also included a box of Chaos reinforcements. Out of the second base game I can put together the reinforcements for the good side. And the second game mat could be used for big battles.

Great thread. Heroquest and Battlemasters were sorta the white whale of my tween years.

I've owned them both more than once but sold them when I realized they can never be part of my youth, but they're someone else's. One day circa 2013 I found Heroequest (w/ Kellar's Keep) and Battlemasters for free in the trash.

Now I am painting a Warhammer Slaanesh army using Battlemaster's figures but that's on the back burner.

one of my ongoing tasks is to paint an entire battlemasters box set and then play a game with it, i've done about 75% so far but its been a long time since i touched it, perhaps i should return to that project. two big armies that you can play warhammer with as well if you want, can't go wrong with that.

Mophus

Just to be clear: my intention for a contest was just the push to motivation in painting a whole set, not a ranking of the results. I think two weeks for one element isn't to hard?

Plaiecivile

Well, here they are, good old Warhammer Quest orcs with a BloodBowl player as their champion.
Turning those American fists into swords is a charm!

I have plastic orcs from HeroQuest, Battle Masters and Marauder coming up to add a bit of variety in the unit.

My color scheme has nothing fancy, for now my goal is to create a basic army with consistent elements like bases and skin. (yes, goblin green, very original!)
I will be putting more love when it comes to banners and heroes.

eJC7995bp1rKtC86PdeiumArkmonhG2CDt47pPN-8Xmc3gud66xanYoSreLEiFgPGHsTWi9Vejxp5IjT6CQBxo0Anf3SL11zmBlw0HGnE8eucjM13qFTlvwqVBucn0Ge34AyZJgNIA=w1000

Back