My Latest Kit-Bash

Padre

My newest kit-bash creation is a skaven 'super-mortar'. Potentially a city killer!

I accidentally deleted most of the photos of the earliest WIP stages when I was trying to create space on my phone (for these later pictures ... doh!) but two survived.

Here you can see an early test I did to see how it might fit together ...

rGVHMOj.jpg

It was given to me already glued together, and would have been impossible to paint what with all the inaccessible innards. So I hacked it apart and began a-bashing.

Here are the pieces undercoated ...

j9S1gn2.jpg

The 'bash involves a standard, modern doomwheel kit, a toy cannon (Playmobile?) with the barrel lifted to be angled more like a mortar and various other bits, including wheels and skaven bits from other kits.

Here are the pics of the completed model from various angles ...

f5kGEmc.jpg

X1473s7.jpg

jzkgloO.jpg

8W07pDr.jpg

VYCaSu2.jpg

uwydpTT.jpg

The general idea I have so far is that this is Clan Skryre's attempt to create an army or city-destroyer. Inside the huge iron barrel is a warpstone grenado far bigger and far more potent than the bombs thrown by poisoned wind globadiers. The engine is mechanised (a converted doom wheel) to ensure it moves at speed, as it has to get within range of its target to lob the warpstone bomb, without being destroyed by enemy artillery or troops. Being a skaven engine it is unreliable, so it could blow up, centering it's table-sized blast radius on itself! If it succeeds in lobbing it's bomb, then a city could die! No damage to the buildings, but all life (give or take a few very lucky survivors) perishes. The globe is fused to blow in the air above the city. I might make that fact one of things that could go wrong, as if it hits the ground it will have a much, much lesser effect.

I reckon we can have an exciting scenario battle in which the skaven player has to get this engine intact from one side of the board to the other. If he does so, then we roll for it firing. If that goes wrong, everything on the table could die! Or it could just go phut!

I have ordered the sprues for 10 plague monks which I am gonna convert (masking them up) to be this engine's attendants.

Padre

If it gets to the other side of the table intact, and is thus in range, then the dice roll to see what happens could be the most exciting one I have ever watched!

dazza36

Completely mad I love it, perfect for a skaven army. Think its a bit too clean have you thought of adding some rust etc to it ?

Padre

I did indeed think about rust and weathering. But in the spirit of cinema vérité, chose not to do so. The machine is, you see, meant to be a brand new creation, being used for the first (and perhaps only) time!!!

Padre

Not yet based, but I have finished the war-machine's 6 'attendants'. Kit-bashed using bits of plastic and cord, to make filter tanks, and masks (so they don't breath in too much warpstone vapour). This is the first time (in 40 years) I've worked solely in acrylics rather than enamels or a combination of both, and one of the very few times I used a white undercoat for the majority of the model. I like the guy with the shovel best - such a practical tool for a war machine attendant.

GJg2dbO.jpg

P9YvbUe.jpg

wJMfzIV.jpg

symphonicpoet

Oh my! Rats in gasmasks, is it? Why is it I feel I am witnessing the NBC/ABC future of Tilea? Somebody is in for a world of hurt. Looking forward to more, Padre. Looking forward to more. :)

Back