Conversion Table Interest

General questions & discussion involving all things painting, modeling & photography. 

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:58 pm

Re: Conversion Table Interest

Hi,
While creating paint swatches, I have noticed that my "opaque" swatches wasn't as opaque as I wanted them to be. So in the near future I will add additional layers to all swatches that isn't opaque enough. This is mostly to get the correct values for my paint blender software.
This will maybe change some values in the equivalence chart.

I noticed this when we had a electrical failure in the neighbourhood where I live and we needed to use flashlights. I took one of the white cardstock sheets that I had painted some swatches for Vallejo Game Color. When I lit up the backside with my pretty powerful flash light I could se coloured swatches in some places, all swatches should show as more or less black in a dark room when you light them up from behind.

All colorimeters and spectrophotmeters use light, and they measure the reflection that reaches the photosensor. The problem is when a swatch is not completely opaque, the light reaches the surface underneath and the reflected light is now distorted by whatever colour the surface underneath has. I think the measuring instruments and the software that comes with it takes this into consideration but I can't be sure. My software's mathematics relies on completely opaque swatches where the reflectance curve is not at all distorted by the surface that is underneath the swatches.

Ps.
VGC Dead White is a pain to get opaque, I have painted 30 layers and it is still not opaque.
VGC Scarlet Blood has them same transparency problem, which I guess all other light coloured paints have.

Kind Regards
Kalle

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi,

I have added the Vallejo Game Color(VGC) range :-)

Kind Regards
Kalle

Post Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:23 am

Hi,

I have added the Instar Alpha range to the conversion table. Instar will release seven more paints for this range and when I get hold of them, I will update the Instar Alpha conversions.

Kind Regards
Kalle
Previous

Return to Painting & Modeling