Citadel JD, Paranoia AND Gothic Horror

Sleepysod

Cheers - they are fun to paint and I think I’m improving, I might revisit some of the ones at the back of the shot.

Hope to post a few more of the gothic horror and paranoia minis in the next week or two.

Sleepysod

I've managed to do a few bits and bobs since the start of 2020 - some of these are from scratch this year and others are just finishing off things I started a while back.

Not a bad start for me in terms of numbers and I've managed a few more non-Citadel, non-vintage pieces since.

My plan this year is to improve my photography, so when I've a few more finished (especially the Gothic Horror) I'll try a few more detailed shots - I have the Judge Dredd and Gothic floor plans and would like to see how these look combied.

without more ado:

Squid - Citadel JD3 Perp

Morgair - Citadel JD3 Muties

Rat hat!

Sniper Morgan - Citadel JD 11 Rogue Trooper (Bit basic paint job, but i still like)

Citadel Gothic Horror - Down and Out

Citadel Gothic Horror - Debutant (particularly like her face paint job - think its spot on for me)

Citadel Gothic Horror - Cop

Citadel Gothic Horror - Chief (least happy with this guy's face, may revisit him at some point)

Citadel Paranoia - Julie WVG:CS2 (I now have all Citadel Paranoia miniatures - except for Wee-B-Bad- desperate plea if anyone has a spare one? Trouble shooter with hoover and one with flamer thrower are works in progress)

Lastly - I know he 's not Citadel or oldhammer but I like him and he's going to be in the CoC games that I am also planning this year - I think he is a Bob Murch Pulp Miniature

You’re welcome, mate. Great to see them getting some love.

FWIW, I think your photography’s just fine. It would be good to see your figures in a scenic setting though, as you say.

Sleepysod

A few more WIP pieces

Citadel Gothic Horror - Pilot

Citadel Gothic Horror - Yokel

Citadel Paranoia troubleshooter - David-a-dws with hover 217

Sleepysod

Bit late for International women's day - but here is another of the Citadel CC1 Gothic Horror range - ladies seem to be very well represented as part of this range. I have another 4 waiting to be undercoated and a female corpse! This is 'Young Girl' from the 1987 releases.

Sleepysod

Whilst I'm at it two more from the JD Dredd range a Nort soldier from the Rogue Trooper stories - hope you enjoy as much I did painting them

And also a ninja 'Toshimoto' from the Slaughter Margin supplement.

Sleepysod

Hullo,

My Gothic Horror and Judge Dredd projects are slowly creeping along. I'm picking items from the lead pile / half finished projects and cleaning them up - as well as revisiting some of my earlier efforts. There is no theme outside of the fact that these miniatures are part of long departed Citadel ranges that are of interest to me. Hope they are of some interest to you as well.

That all said I have started to re-read HP Lovecraft, took the plunge and bought the latest version of Call of Cthulhu (starter set) and just finished the video game on Xbox (was surprisingly good).

As per my desire to improve my photos and actually get a game in - I've taken the plunge and picked up some Egyptian themed scenery which I'm starting to paint up, and I also splurged on the Warcradle Dunsmouth Dock set....'Dunsmouth' will be a great background for this angry looking chap from the Citadel CC1 Gothic Horror range 'punk/dockland thug'.

He arrived in the post very recently, had reasonable base colours on him, but was nothing special. As a result I chose not to strip him and just worked with what was there - still need to sort out his base and matt varnish him too get rid of some shine, but I'm very pleased with the way he has turned out - especially his face and his flat cap. A lot of the the Gothic Horror range are relatively simply paint jobs (e.g. bobbies, hooded minions, society ladies) and that means the paint jobs can be churned out (at least for me) with a relatively fast turn around and (at least by my standards) to a reasonably high quality.

On the JD side - this is 'Dib' - a semi-painted version of him was lurking in the background of some of my earlier group shots, but having picked up a few new paints since Christmas I took the plunge and cleaned him up.

One of the things I've noticed from photos of Citadel miniatures since the mid 90's is how saturated (I think i'm using that correctly) the colours became. Personally i'm not a big fan of the bright look that personified Citadel in the 90's - but realiase that my palette is generally quite dark. I would like to lighten up ever so slightly, but suspect that an element of that comes form the photography - my phone camera and lighting set up isn't doing them the best of favours. Nevertheless I am also very fond of this paint job. From one of the photos he looks a bit toothy, but I again I quite like that.

Your GH figures are looking great. This is a bit of a surprise to me as I always felt that the sculpts were generally pretty uninspiring.

Sleepysod

Citizen Sade":2nhc43ww said:
Your GH figures are looking great. This is a bit of a surprise to me as I always felt that the sculpts were generally pretty uninspiring.

There are a few turds in the range it has to be said.... I think when I was a kid the biggest issue was that there was limited fun to be had with a miniature of a mad professor or a butler - much better to invest pocket money in a wolf rider or an ork war machine. Now I’m older they are much more appealing. I’ve got a few Cthulhu/elder god type minis which I think will go well with them

symphonicpoet

It's amazing how much the simpler miniatures have grown on me as I've gotten older. While they don't tell stories themselves in the ways a fancy piece of ultra-violence would, they let you tell your own story in ways skulls and spikes don't. I love the work you're doing here. This just keeps getting better. Keep it up!

dazza36

Just had a look though and some really nice paint jobs on models I'm not that familiar. I can remember the adverts in white dwarf and the odd article for both Paranoia and JD but must have skipped past them in my youth. You've done a great job on them and loving the Gothic Horror models you've started to paint up.

Sleepysod

dazza36":m6qd0wsl said:
Just had a look though and some really nice paint jobs on models I'm not that familiar. I can remember the adverts in white dwarf and the odd article for both Paranoia and JD but must have skipped past them in my youth. You've done a great job on them and loving the Gothic Horror models you've started to paint up.

My recollection of the JD miniatures was mainly from the Citadel Journal - there were even some rules one of the issues for using them in a sort of proto-40K rule set. We played the roleplay game a lot, but you never really needed miniatures as it came with cardboard standees.

I actually never really worked out why you'd need miniatures for Paranoia or for Call of Cthulhu - they aren't exactly dungeon romps - but there are some lovely characterful miniatures, great to collect and paint up - and the odd turd as I said... I think Citadel had some other great ranges that deserve some love but might not have a place on a typical battlefield. Night Horrors, Travelling Players, Eternal Champion to name a few - and generally speaking understated. i.e most people I'm sure wouldn't travel around covered in spikes and waving skulls around.

Here's the next in line from the GH collection 'Noel Noel' - his name suggest he's singing from a hymn book - but that looks mightily like the dreaded Necronomicon to me...

I spent quite a bit of time on his trousers attempting to get a tweed effect - think it worked out quite well (some lessons learnt). Again basing need to be sorted, but largely finished.

Here he is with a thug and young girl - all very innocent i'm sure you'll agree.

And a preview - work in progress (much much more to do, including finding a suitable large base) - proof that book's a bit suspicious...

Back