Bood Miniature Dwarf Project

dazza36

I posted a couple of pictures recently in another of my topics regarding my attempt to restart my dwarf army using Bood models instead of the usual 80's dwarfs. Having now got my hands on both the cavalry and foot soldiers I've decided they warrant their own dedicated topic as they really are a joy to paint.

So here are a few photos of what I've painted so far ( still not finished )

Cavalry
EpIlhbeP_o.jpg

ohPqSiOM_o.jpg

nMeIqlKR_o.jpg

Foot
TTQqCizv_o.jpg

r4gtJKZZ_o.jpg

At the moment I've only got 10 of each type and I'm using these to see how easy it will be to convert them to make them more unique. The reason for this is the very limited number of sculpts. This will more often than not just be a change of beard or nose to give that variety to the models. This can be seen in the 2 foot soldiers. The one on right has simply had his moustache and nose enlarged, whereas the one on left has had his whole beard removed and then the mail coif extended and finally a new moustache added.

dazza36

Right I've finished the 10 dwarfs I had ordered and must say really enjoyed both the converting and painting of these great little models. Thought I'd post some photos to show both the finished models and the slight conversions I've managed to make them more unique. Not the best photos but does show the differences I've managed to create, with on the most part a simple nose job or beard trim !

2EtLyqge_o.jpg

hjRyInwL_o.jpg

h2UBPknV_o.jpg

cv8AIhdk_o.jpg

LD9F2TcE_o.jpg

The last photo shows my attempt at making a 2-handed version as BOOD doesn't really have an option for that. It was a simple case of removing the original weapon and adding a nice Dane Axe from Gripping Beast. I would love to have the models holding the axe in both hands but that is way out of my converting skills. Anyway hope you can see the photos ! and hope you like.

dazza36

The Dragon design I'm using was inspired by a Paul Bonner sketch from a White Dwarf .

Managed to paint up the first of my cavalry. I want to give the cavalry a sense of movement so will be converting them to give them the look of running. It's hard to see in photo due to crappy photo and the grass tufts but the pony has been converted so that all hooves are off the ground to give movement I'm after.

thVpYTJU_o.jpg

dazza36

Sadly looks as if my order from France has been held up due to Covid so have been working on the cavalry I had ordered previously. Not a big update just a WIP of one of the riders I've been working on. I'm really happy with how this has turned out and is probably the most reworking I've done on any so far and definitely shows how I'm getting a lot more confident in my greenstuff skills

369v3csS_o.jpg

Not only am I making a new helmet for him but I also cut away most of the face and greenstuffed a new one. Before this I've been mainly just adding to the original figures. I'm finding its a lot easier if you work on small areas at a time, so nose, then mouth, then beard.

dazza36

Not had much time for painting due to work (and maybe too much mount and blade 2 !!) but managed to get 2 figures nearly completed. There both converted to give them a more knightly look instead of the usual common soldier. The plan will be to have a unit of 5 all converted to some degree. As their knights I've moved away from the dragon heraldry and given them their own basic design which I will carry over on to shields and banners.

XuYiO7NT_o.jpg

yiGW5RCO_o.jpg

Subedai

These dwarfs look so characterful, great work on the faces and their heraldry. Just the inspiration I need since I have two regiments of dwarfs to paint.

dazza36

Little update as I've added both shields and banners. As I said I've carried the heraldry over on to both the shields and banners to give them a more unique look compared to the rank and file dwarfs I'd previously painted. The ponies still need to be converted so are just used as a means to show the dwarfs off. I'll hopefully get around to converting them soon but they take a lot more time than the actual dwarfs and I now have a nice box full of Bood dwarfs to begin work on so might be a while before I can actually show a completed cavalry unit. Anyway hope you like.

VJGvLEH3_o.jpg

zR2sS7vB_o.jpg

dazza36

Another little update. I've painted up a banner for the cavalry now I'm just unsure if all the banners look rather too clean so may go back and rough them up a bit . Apart from that I've started work on the latest delivery of Bood dwarfs. Now got enough for 3x20 dwarf units so going to have plenty of practice on convert beards and noses !!!

The rather clean looking banner, I'm thinking it should look more like the shields I've painted i.e dirty and damaged !
6SvRe51B_o.jpg

DPHy7pKT_o.jpg

First of many new faces !!!
xrM0iWB8_o.jpg

symphonicpoet

May the beard be with you indeed! Well done! That's got to be one of the beast and most varied beard collections ever. And you have some serious competition, so . . . Well done indeed! :)

dazza36

Just another quick update to show the slow progress I've made and also a chance to show how the converting has made it possible to take a very limited bunch of dwarfs and give them a more unique feel. Each photo shows the same basic dwarf but each converted in some way.

gcgBWyCs_o.jpg

vOkSn1mx_o.jpg

eTImImVc_o.jpg

All still WIP but hopefully completed soon !

Caradepato

These are absoultely great, I love the colours you've picked for them and i'm looking forwards to seeing more of your rescultping.

dazza36

As I said at the beginning, my plan is to paint up 3 units of dwarfs using BOOD figures and here's some half decent photos to show the progress.

One-Handed
viC2iy2a_o.jpg

tTpilWba_o.jpg
]

Spear
RDhcPqPK_o.jpg

Two-Handed
s0EfUOkg_o.jpg

And here's my favourite of the bunch so far
gT0dsQx8_o.jpg

Apart from the 2 dwarfs in just mail coif's, the rest of them come from only 4 versions of model so I'm really happy with how unique they look with my little conversions

Back