Giant 40k vehicle battle

makhachkala

Gauging interest and feasibility for a giant vehicle battle I'm thinking of running next year.

It would require either one of the larger tables, or two 6x4s butted together, for probably a whole afternoon. For the system, as much as the narrative potential of rogue trader is greater, I'm thinking 2nd ed would be a better fit being a bit quicker for a larger game.
I'm thinking of 4 players a side, with around 1000 points each, but without really setting any hard limits. The only limitation would be everything must be mounted or wheeled. I'd be inclined to include foot troops but only if they're in a transport. Mounted troops would be great to include too. Exodites, rough riders, boarboyz...!

In my head is orks v imperial, with giant drifts of buggies, bikes and trakks facing down squadrons of landraiders and leman russes... But it all depends who's interested and what they would want to bring along. Perhaps some eldar showing up unexpectedly to snatch some ancient artefact from the battlefield? Or an incursion of Chaos? I am sure we could concoct some kind of scenario with whatever models are available.

I would aim to supply the terrain, and 1000 or so points of orks.

What do people think? Is this do-able?

If I can make it this year I’m in.

1 Rogue Trader Era Lane Raider
3 Rogue Trader Era Predators
1 Rogue Trader Era Whirlwind
1 Rogue Trader Era Dreadnought
1 Rogue Trader Era Land Speeder
Lots of Rhinos

Personally I’d say lose the infantry... multiple vehicles will be complicated enough using second edition rules

makhachkala

Cool, that's a great bundle of vehicles there!

I hear you on the infantry. I thought if someone hasn't got quite enough vehicles, to allow maybe a squad to bump numbers. The idea is definitely to prioritise vehicles though: a smaller battle with only vehicles would definitely be smoother than a larger one that also includes infantry.

Depending on the narrative we concoct we could include the odd few foot troops as objective holders/targets or something - perhaps some key person and a retinue holed up in a bunker sort of thing.

lornalim

As mentioned on FB, I have a load of Ork vehicles that I would love to use in this.

Stompa
War Buggy
2 x converted newskool War Buggys
Scorcher
6 x Warbikes and Nobzbike
Dreadnought
10x Cyboars

Lungbursta
BattleWagon
Gobsmasha
Spleenrippa

Still to paint (and happy to have the excuse!):
Bonecrusha
Bowelburna
War Trukk
Grot Tank

Attachments

• Evil sunz.jpg
    Evil sunz.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 1,407

lornalim

Do you have a pdf of the all the Ork Vehicle (Tank) Datafaxes for 2nd ed by any chance? Ive found them for all the small fry vehicles but not the big tanks...

makhachkala

Hi Paul, thanks for posting on here too. More imperial stuff is also welcome! The only thing I'd say is if we get lots of interest at a later date I would try and make it so each person contributes about the same (if they wish of course). But we're not there yet! Also having more stuff available might enable someone to join in who maybe doesn't have pots of vehicles.
Cheers

makhachkala

Could I ask those who've expressed interest to quickly post and say what day(s)/times they'd be available for this game? Fri/Sat/Sun AM/PM?

So that when I come to book a table/tables I can be sure we can all make it and it doesn't clash with any other games you're involved in. I expect to be there all 3 days and not confirmed for anything else so it's flexible right now.

Cheers
Chris

makhachkala

Table is now booked for this for Sunday afternoon.

If you are desperate to give your tanks an outing there is still space for more players on the imperial/eldar side.

Cheers all

Back