Growing Oldhammer - documentary film and book

Hi everyone

I am proud to announce that over the next two years I am working on a project called "Growing Oldhammer", a joint book & documentary film venture about the Oldhammer hobby.

Growing Oldhammer has grown as a project over the last year as I looked at getting back into a hobby to unwind after writing screenplays or producing films. Having spent over 30 years as a tabletop enthusiast and an ex-Games Workshop employee (1989-2000), I have watched on both sides of the spectrum as the games and models have changed over the years, resulting in a strong and ever increasing community that prefer the old school aesthetic. With the advent of the internet, many websites, blogs and forums have appeared, dedicated to what has now become known as Oldhammer.

As I near my 50th year, I felt now was the perfect time to bring together both of my creative outlets into one project; hence the title Growing Oldhammer.

This documentary will include a history of Games Workshop from 1984 up till 2000 (coincidentally the same years I both started in the hobby and leaving the company), complete with overviews of the models, games and accessories during that time period, and of course a close look at the amazing Oldhammer community that has steadily built around the collecting, painting and gaming of old school Warhammer/40K models. The accompanying book, released in 2022, will be packed with pictures of wonderfully painted models, transcripts of the documentary interviews with industry standards as well as those companies who provide Oldhammer services, be they models or accessories.

The film is scheduled for production in 2020 with a tentative release date of August 2021, with the book being released the following year, 2022.

For more information please contact me via the Growing Oldhammer FB page or in the comments below.

Many thanks
JP

Fimm McCool

Will GW be ok with you showing their models in a book? They've always seemed to shut down third party publications with photos of their stuff in.

Fimm McCool":3k8iw0i3 said:
Will GW be ok with you showing their models in a book? They've always seemed to shut down third party publications with photos of their stuff in.

I'll be arranging a meeting with GW in the new year to discuss the project and any clearances that might be needed.

annagul

Very interesting project. I’m very excited with this. Hope you can make a Spanish subtitles for the film. Needless to say I will buy the book as soon as it releases!

Back